Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that changed a bit by not spending 2.5B on a new plant in GA.. I’m guessing, they got some new additional incentives from IL to stay and build out the new lines there vs. moving.

And they are not burning 6B a year. With ~ 9B in CASH on the balance sheet, while they MAY do some capital raising, they aren’t at 1.5 years of cash at the moment. They’re burning net about 2B-3B a year at the moment.

I’ll stop now, wrong thread.
Q4 OpEx was $975M CapEx was only $298M.
Cash on hand: $7.9B, $9.4B including short term investments
Current Liabilities: $2.5B
All assets - liabilities: $9.1B

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
They only email terminated 10% of the work force. They still have 90% left to build the cash reserves.
While losing 3X,xxx dollars per unit sold. 50+ units on lot at most delivery locations. Had to open up leasing on the R1S to help get rid of supply. Created two more trim levels since start of this year.

The more owners that are willing to tell the truth about their R1 platform vehicles, the more the number of canceled orders will rise.

I’ve helped 20 people avoid the R1 mistake. Promised them this would happen when they allowed a rogue service center employee to blackball me. Was a supporter of them until the shidd hit the fan, let them know I wanted to pay full retail wanted no discounts, and they allowed some horrendous service employee to play games with my money.

When they found out I wasn’t playing, they had someone call me late in the evening on a Sunday. 😂 that was when the list of canceled orders was at 10. Goal? 50+.

Why are you posting from ANOTHER thread? That’s pretty sketch.
What’s “sketch” about someone posting on a forum? 🤣🤣 you’ve got some funny definitions of “sketch”

The near future, Apple acquires Rivian, RJ becomes the successor to running all of Apple in 5 years
I'd like to see Tim and RJ on the stage when they announce the start of the R3 and pricing....
merge the Rivian OS with what Apple what working on in their cancelled EV
RJ running apple… 💀
Apple’s board would (hopefully) never allow this to happen.

The near future, Apple acquires Rivian, RJ becomes the successor to running all of Apple in 5 years
I'd like to see Tim and RJ on the stage when they announce the start of the R3 and pricing....
merge the Rivian OS with what Apple what working on in their cancelled EV

That certainly would solve Rivian's survival problem, as Apple has tons of cash in the bank. Plus Rivian's valuation right now is very affordable for a company like Apple.

Reactions: kpanda17
So which is it? Fraudulent SEC filing or RJ lying?

The filing says:
The timing for resuming construction is expected to be later to focus its teams on the capital-efficient launch of R2 in Normal, Illinois.

To summarize:
–Improved capital efficiency: Total savings estimated to be over $2.25 billion as compared to the original forecast of launching the first line of R2 production at Rivian’s Georgia site. The savings are expected to come from capital expenditures, product development investment, and supplier sourcing opportunities.

You can't resume something if it isn't halted...

So which is it? Fraudulent SEC filing or RJ lying?

The filing says:

You can't resume something if it isn't halted...
*Optimisticly* neither, if the plant is being built but is not getting any manufacturing lines to start with.

The plant ground breaking hasn't happened yet, so it's construction hasn't halted any more than it was halted last year. (Where halted implies stopped or killed versus delayed)

The line you quoted was in the context of R2 and shell construction could occur without internal build out.
To enable R2 to be launched earlier and with a considerable reduction in the capital required for its launch, Rivian plans to start production of R2 in its existing Normal, Illinois manufacturing facility. Beyond significantly reducing the amount of capital needed to bring R2 to market, the company believes this approach considerably reduces risk to the launch and associated ramp; efficiently leverages its existing manufacturing and operations teams; and expands the total capacity for the site to 215,000 units per year. Rivian’s Georgia plant remains an extremely important part of its strategy to scale production of R2 and R3. The timing for resuming construction is expected to be later to focus its teams on the capital-efficient launch of R2 in Normal, Illinois.

That seems to be debatable:
Sure, and I don't have a horse in the race, it's somewhat semantical, and will depend on future developments... However, it sounded like that bulk grading was done by the State & local authorities.

From back in October: "For the past several months, the State of Georgia and Joint Development Authority of Jasper, Morgan, Newton & Walton Counties have worked with state and local partners to prepare the site for Rivian’s arrival. At this time, the upper pad is 95 percent graded and is nearly ready for construction to begin. Rivian expects to hold a formal groundbreaking ceremony in early 2024, with start of vertical construction to begin thereafter."

Construction company for the building was announced in December and construction for March.

Wait and see when they really start?

I have to admit that both Elon and Tim could learn something from RJ…his R2 announcement keynote was about as well-done as I’ve seen. Short, pithy, focused, no drone zooming across donut rooftop, no handoffs to half a dozen others. Not currently interested in an R2 but I do like RJ’s presentation style.
Allowing team members to get the spotlight is good for morale.