Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can do is just laugh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell me again how much winter testing was done?

It snowed, went in the trunk to grab the broom, all the snow on the trunk and some of the rear glass promptly and comically slid into the trunk. People passing by must have been wondering why I’m shoveling snow OUT the car.

Attachments

• D34FBC91-28D9-4F75-B981-FCCF97F6EA3E.jpeg
    D34FBC91-28D9-4F75-B981-FCCF97F6EA3E.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 477

It snowed, went in the trunk to grab the broom, all the snow on the trunk and some of the rear glass promptly and comically slid into the trunk. People passing by must have been wondering why I’m shoveling snow OUT the car.

That will happen with pretty much any sedan-type trunk if there is enough snow piled up. It is a good habit to swipe a gloved hand along the hinge edge to mitigate this.

Agree with the other posters about keeping the brush in the cabin behind the driver's seat.

FWIW, I live in Montreal, and learned this the same way in my early driving years.

Last edited:
That will happen with pretty much any sedan-type trunk if there is enough snow piled up. It is a good habit to swipe a gloved hand along the hinge edge to mitigate this.

Agree with the other posters about keeping the brush in the cabin behind the driver's seat.

FWIW, I live in Montreal, and learned this the same way in my early driving years.
yeah, this happened with all my prev cars (coupes and sedans). you learn to clear off some snow before opening the trunk. It's been a couple of decades since I learned to keep my brush/scraper behind the driver seat so I can clear snow without opening trunk.
Don't care what either of you say, I've had plenty of sedans and they've never been as bad as the Model 3 with snow and rainwater flowing into the trunk when opening it. Poor design on Tesla's part.

I had this same thing happen to me today and even planned on starting a thread, but luckily (or unluckily) I’m not the only one that had to deal with this today! I have the Maxpider trunk mat installed so that definitely made it easier to remove the snow from the trunk. But still, this is clearly a vehicle designed by people that have no experience with winter weather. From now on I’ll be keeping the snow brush in the passenger compartment. I love my Model 3 but things like this still irk me a bit.

DE75B05A-AB25-4C07-BB8D-EA1128F312E8.jpeg

*cries in Canadian*

It is times like this that I feel good about being an immigrant to elsewhere.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Oh man. I am sorry. The more you know... Perhaps have a dustpan to just scoop out the snow immediately. but would suck if you have luggage or boxes in the trunk. Maybe a good idea for a spandex like water proof material that pushes it away or at least constrains it in its place.

Also happens on my BMW wagon but I have learned to brush of the openings before i open the door or the tailgate.

Don't care what either of you say, I've had plenty of sedans and they've never been as bad as the Model 3 with snow and rainwater flowing into the trunk when opening it. Poor design on Tesla's part.

But then how did those sedans look and drive compared to your Model 3? (with snow in the trunk if you don't brush it off first -- and keep the brush in the back seat!). Sacrifices have to be made. If you come up with a better looking design, please let us know.

Until then, I've dealt with snow coming in every vehicle I've owned since no one has fixed it for all vehicles except for the garage builders -- so I brush it off first when parked outside and it snows. My S and 3 shed water fine, unless parked on an angle, like most vehicles.

"Proudly made in California" ?
Oh, we get plenty of snow in California. Was just dealing with three feet overnight on Sunday, trying to get back to the house the night before through a foot of unplowed snow on the road (yes, made it w/Model 3, lucky it was light and dry snow to push through) and yes, snow dumping in the trunk if I forget to clear the trunk lid. Personally I’m more used to hatchbacks and SUV’s in the snow.

Model 3 is still a joy to drive though!