Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can do is just laugh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't remove the snow from the car first, I have had the same experience with a BMW, Audi and Chevy. You are supposed to take the snow off the car and rear window before opening the trunk. On a related topic, folks complaining about rain getting in the trunk? Open the trunk slowly to allow the rainwater that was standing on it to slowly roll off rather than creating a deluge and there is also no problem with rain getting in the trunk.

It really frustrates me that these kinds of things are ascribed to Tesla's design and/or testing. The car is a beautiful physical design AND incredibly aerodynamic. Should the design team have made it uglier and less aero so that folks who decide to open the trunk with snow all over it don't have an issue?

yeah, this happened with all my prev cars (coupes and sedans). you learn to clear off some snow before opening the trunk. It's been a couple of decades since I learned to keep my brush/scraper behind the driver seat so I can clear snow without opening trunk.
It's also important to have a brush/scraper in the house in case of an ice storm. There have been times I've stared forlornly at my scraper in the back seat, while the car was encased in a quarter inch of ice.

Those saying keep a brush or scraper in the backseat instead of the car either don't have kids or have yet to experience being unable to open the doors because the windows are frozen and won't drop down to clear the trim.

I have 2 kids, one on a booster, one in a car seat.... and I've applied Gummi Pflege to my rubber seals around the door. Not sure what kids have anything to do with this, aside from the brush sometimes buried under a pile of random papers, wrappers, and Wendys toy parts.

Those saying keep a brush or scraper in the backseat instead of the car either don't have kids or have yet to experience being unable to open the doors because the windows are frozen and won't drop down to clear the trim.
Your assumption is incorrect. These are decades old issues for me. My first car had frameless door windows and I've raised a number of kids, one of which would likely make your hair curl in his "maintenance level" when he was younger. I'll even up the with door/trunk key locks freezing up.

Welcome to living in Actual Winter ... as a parent. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sjokomelk
It is a revelation to me how many purchasers of $50k + cars do not have usable garages. I'm over 80 and a middle class person who grew up in NJ and I can only remember 2 1/2 years when I did not have a garage. If you're a city person and never had garages the inclement weather procedures should be second nature to you.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
It is a revelation to me how many purchasers of $50k + cars do not have usable garages.

How did you come up with that assumption? My Model 3 was parked outside while I was at work yesterday when it got snowed on. I suspect this is the same situation for many on here that are not retired yet. My car is definitely kept in the garage when I'm home but there's no covered parking for me at my job.

I can’t believe you took the time to search for and post photos of the different trunks of my previous cars :D

Anyway, I stand by my statement that there is a greater likelihood of large amounts of snow falling into the trunk when it is opened compared to the other cars I’ve had in the past. The rear window is at a steeper slope and is much larger than my other cars. And yes, I will be putting the snow brush in the cabin from now on.
I'm glad they did search for and post the photos because when I read of people complaining about this I'm wondering... how did they not have this problem with other sedans and trunks?? So my question is how did your old cars avoid large amounts of snow falling into the trunk? Sure looks like it would be a problem if you forgot to brush it off.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, before my Model 3, I wouldn't encounter this issue of needing to brush all the snow off because I was driving something without a trunk or sloped rear glass. (Audi A3, Toyota 4Runner, RAV4, etc.)

Now... as for opening the trunk in the rain, I do wish something could be done about the falling rain ramping off of the glass and over the lip of the trunk opening into the trunk.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It is a revelation to me how many purchasers of $50k + cars do not have usable garages. I'm over 80 and a middle class person who grew up in NJ and I can only remember 2 1/2 years when I did not have a garage. If you're a city person and never had garages the inclement weather procedures should be second nature to you.
When I lived in NJ, all my houses only had a single car garage. So if I was still there, my GT-R would have been in the garage and my Model 3 outside. Not to mention you are likely to have more than one car for the house, so someone is going to end up outside in that situation.

Oh, we get plenty of snow in California. Was just dealing with three feet overnight on Sunday, trying to get back to the house the night before through a foot of unplowed snow on the road (yes, made it w/Model 3, lucky it was light and dry snow to push through) and yes, snow dumping in the trunk if I forget to clear the trunk lid. Personally I’m more used to hatchbacks and SUV’s in the snow.

Model 3 is still a joy to drive though!
What was the “disagree” from “greenT” about on my comment? Model 3 is not a joy to drive?? We don’t get plenty of snow across a big swath of California?? You don’t get snow dumped in the trunk if you forget to clear the lid??

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Just need to say once again that I saw this coming back on 3/31/16 and wrote about it the next day!

I'm betting they haven't done any winter testing no this design yet. Imagine having some snow on the rear window or trunk. Open the trunk and the snow falls onto the glass...which then falls/slides into the trunk.

Looks like I'll probably be getting an S instead as I need more cargo flexibility that is available with a hatch/liftback.

FYI, I ordered a Model S 10 days later.

I understand the pain of getting a trunk full of snow, if you're not paying attention. However I'm unclear how you can live in a snowy area and not know to wipe off before opening something.

I've owned a Ford Mustang Coupe, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Audi A4, BMW 335, Lexus IS and in not one of those cars did I have this problem opening the trunk with snow or drizzle falling in. Its a weird design choice but I understand they had to give up something to keep the aerodynamics of M3. The broom in the back seat is a non-starter for me, the kids ride back there and the last thing I want is for them to start tripping over it or beating each other with it. I guess for now I'll leave it in the trunk and fold the seats down when I need it.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78