Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And some people will defend Tesla no matter what they do and will make up excuses with no evidence. Same as it's always been.
And some people will bitch and scream about everything and claim "safety" when it really is about "personal responsibility."

Me: take a more pragmatic approach and realize that Tesla is doing a pretty decent job of balancing pioneering with corporate responsibilities. I prefer to not scream the Sky is Falling" when they make a wise (albeit painful) adjustment.

We received the update with FSD yesterday, together with the option of activating it with a monthly subscription, but no option that I could see for a free trial. I am in Canada and my experience seems different that what at least one other person in Canada has posted on this thread: i.e., they seemed to have received a free trial, but no offer for a monthly subscription, just full purchase price. I am not sure what Tesla is doing in this regard in Canada.

Anyway, based on what I am reading, FSD is much improved, but it is still not ready - at least not for my purposes. There are still too many glitches and the driver must always stand by to intervene. For me - based on my experiments with earlier versions - the stress and work of monitoring it constantly so that I would be able to intervene at a moment's notice would be greater than the stress and work of driving. Further, I am not sure that my reaction time when intervening in this way would be fast enough to avoid an accident. Quickly switching from inactive to active mode is not a strong point for me, so I would definitely worry about safety. FSD is going have to achieve one or two levels higher of autonomy before I will consider it.

Reactions: Transformer
And some people will bitch and scream about everything and claim "safety" when it really is about "personal responsibility."

Me: take a more pragmatic approach and realize that Tesla is doing a pretty decent job of balancing pioneering with corporate responsibilities. I prefer to not scream the Sky is Falling" when they make a wise (albeit painful) adjustment.
Who and what are you even discussing? What "wise and painful adjustment"?

I'm the one here saying that FSD is an L2 toy. So yeah, it's personal responsibility. But that also means I am unwilling to say that "Tesla is doing amazing with safety critical software, how great are they!?" - because you can't both have a L2 system and call it safety critical.

Literally the only thing I am pushing back on is praise that Tesla is being so quick with this human safety critical software. But that also makes it not seem so impressive that they said everyone would have this toy 2 weeks ago, and now 30% don't have it. Nobody made Tesla say that.

Is there someone out there doing it better? ford and chevy supercruise seems way behind

waymo is ok but very limited scope and completely useless for me and 90% of america
How is this relevant to the discussion? As long as you're the perceived leader, it doesn't matter if you lie, and everything you do is amazing?

Tesla is just the noisiest and most public. But comparing Waymo and Tesla is hilarious- Tesla is solidly L2 with a human responsible for everything. Waymo is actually able to drive cars with no driver and passengers. There's no proof that Tesla is anywhere near that, or that anything they are doing will be able to mature to that. They are multiple orders of magnitude off the reliability needed to do that.

But again, none of that is relevant to the fact that 30% of US cars don't have the FSD free trial despite "all cars this week" which is the real discussion here, and is just another situation where Tesla's statements don't line up with reality, so it does make you question why they are to be believed in other areas that are less transparent.

Reactions: gforce2002
And haters will always be haters. That's also how it is.
Always ironic to be called a "hater" when I've owned five Teslas, two currently, been an owner since 2016, and am currently highly involved with racing Teslas and increasing their acceptance in the performance car world. Especially ironic to be called that by someone that missed the first 5 years of FSD development, while I lived through being delivered me a car with literally no cruise control for a month without telling me, and things like auto wipers took a year, and then I had to sue Tesla to get them to make good on their sales promises.

I like the cars a lot in everything except "FSD." Yes, I'm skeptical of all of Tesla's FSD timelines, progress, stories, etc because I have been there for the whole history. But I'm not a "hater." Just a realist based on actual experience over the last 8 years. 8 years ago when "the driver is only there for legal reasons" and it turns out that was all faked. Today we're nowhere close to that promised situation.

I've also seen Tesla do quarter end or quarter beginning stuff all the time to goose numbers. FSD trials, free supercharging, FSD transfers, premium connectivity, referral bonuses, etc. They are all "the last time" and they all have happened over and over. So color me skeptical that this time is not about revenue, especially when Tesla is in the most dire financial straits of the last 5 years.

And now of course, "all cars get XXX this week" is just another massively missed timeline on FSD. Tesla's just not proving me wrong. They can't even get a "this week" statement right when it comes to FSD! Meanwhile to some people, this is "impressive!" :rolleyes:

But I am a massive proponent where Tesla deserves it and has changed. For instance, they are absolutely industry leading with their parts pricing, their repair manuals, and their in-car diagnostics that are reducing the cost of post-warranty repair, even though they were one of the worst 5 years ago.

The FSD (Supervised) was enabled on my M3 on 1 Apr. Glad to see my 2020 hardware can still support it.

My initial reaction, as I have read elsewhere, was that FSD drives like a new driver. I felt safer teaching my boys to drive.

My subsequent evaluations have been local point to point navigations of about 30 miles. I found FSD a little aggressive in its starts, it has a lower threshold for lane change safety than I do, and enters exits at too high of speed requiring a quick slow down. Also, it doesn't appear to "think" ahead on the route to consider what lane it should be in for the next exit. Lastly, even on Chill, it wants to changes lanes too often for me. Given the amount of time I spend wondering what it will do with every change in my route, it nearly qualifies as a distraction to driving.

I disabled it; it's not ready.

We received the update with FSD yesterday, together with the option of activating it with a monthly subscription, but no option that I could see for a free trial. I am in Canada and my experience seems different that what at least one other person in Canada has posted on this thread: i.e., they seemed to have received a free trial, but no offer for a monthly subscription, just full purchase price. I am not sure what Tesla is doing in this regard in Canada.

Anyway, based on what I am reading, FSD is much improved, but it is still not ready - at least not for my purposes. There are still too many glitches and the driver must always stand by to intervene. For me - based on my experiments with earlier versions - the stress and work of monitoring it constantly so that I would be able to intervene at a moment's notice would be greater than the stress and work of driving. Further, I am not sure that my reaction time when intervening in this way would be fast enough to avoid an accident. Quickly switching from inactive to active mode is not a strong point for me, so I would definitely worry about safety. FSD is going have to achieve one or two levels higher of autonomy before I will consider it.
So far, I don’t have the FSD trial.

Based on what I’ve read online, those of us with software version 2024.8.x are still on FSD 11 and no free trial. Those that have the free trial have 2024.2.x or 2024.3.x, both of which would be FSD 12.

I took my MYP to a service center to replace a headlight (DRL wasn’t working, but can’t be individually fixed). They gave me a demo car to use for a bit and it had FSD, so I gave it a try. On the short drive to get food it seemed fine. But on the way back, it gave up while making a right turn. It was about 2/3rd of the way through the turn and just cancelled itself for some reason. Since I’m not that confident in “autonomous” driving right now, I was ready to take over. Later, I manually cancelled it as it was arriving to a small turn to another street. It didn’t seem like it was going to slow down to make the turn. Now I wonder if it had rerouted itself to go a different way, despite what the navigation was showing me.

All-in-all, it wasn’t too bad. The incidences were unfortunate, but not all that surprising.

Personally, even if it drove perfectly, I’m not really sure what to think about FSD, as it pertains to my usage of the car. I use my car for food deliveries and can only see it as a mix of useful and annoying. Not having to “drive” (ie, let the car deal with other drivers’ stupidity) is great, but with the short drives, having to take time to make sure navigation is set and everything to get it to drive itself seems too time consuming, especially when it gets busy with multiple stops per trip. I don’t do much driving outside of work.

OP here. I finally got the 2024.3.15 update (with FSD 12.3.4) on my 2020 Model X LR+ (Raven) on Friday, April 12. On that day, I drove 3h19m (179 miles) with FSD enabled with and zero interventions. The next day, I drove 8h6m (468 miles) with FSD enabled the whole time, zero interventions. Both was lots of Freeway, Highway, and mountain pass driving. I am just amazed how good FSD is now.

Despite those two perfect long days, my experience during a short drive today wasn't as good. I had to intervene twice, both times at different intersections when FSD got confused which lane it should be in during a multi-lane left turn at a light. Just as it was clearing the intersection, it seemed to get lost when figuring out which lane to be in and I took over before the cars around me started honking at me.

My FSD trial came with Summon, but it didn't come AutoPark. Either that, or I haven't figure out how to activate it. I read on another post that vehicles with USS (Ultrasonic Parking Sensors) aren't getting AutoPark for now, which includes my X.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and chinney
I like the fact that v12 drives much more natural and humanlike however it's still getting a lot of the basic functionality wrong.

Like not staying in the correct lane when making a left. Going straight instead of left in a left only lane. I can understand that it misses some edge cases, but these basic things should be basically bulletproof and it's not there yet.

I'm trying to get my wife to use fsd but she still doesn't feel safe in it even though she agrees that it drives more like a human.

It's ok for fsd to make mistakes but it needs to do it in a safe manner.