Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did you get the email before or after the UG?
i got the email right after
I got the 2024.3.6 update Thursday night/Friday morning. I deferred installation* until the default time of 12:50AM Fri night/Sat AM (or whatever the default is). I got the email at 1:16AM saying my 30 day trial starts now, end date 4/28.

* I was going on a 200 mile trip last night; normally I defer updates right before a road trip. If I had been paying attention, I would have accepted it right away so I could use FSD on the trip. Oh well.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I got the 2024.3.6 update Thursday night/Friday morning. I deferred installation* until the default time of 12:50AM Fri night/Sat AM (or whatever the default is). I got the email at 1:16AM saying my 30 day trial starts now, end date 4/28.

* I was going on a 200 mile trip last night; normally I defer updates right before a road trip. If I had been paying attention, I would have accepted it right away so I could use FSD on the trip. Oh well.
I did a couple of local test drives to the grocery store with FSD. Much better than the old v11 from my 3 month trial. I'm still not interested in spending $12k on it, but it's both impressive and a bit freaky.

I don't really get the point of FSD in its current form. You've got to keep your hands on the wheel, you have to be looking at the road all the time or it'll bug you, you gotta be ready to take corrective action at any millisecond. Plus, last one I tried which was probably v11, was not a smooth driver to ride with - herky jerky kinda movements. I'm a much smoother driver. It's easier to just drive myself.

I don't really get the point of FSD in its current form. You've got to keep your hands on the wheel, you have to be looking at the road all the time or it'll bug you, you gotta be ready to take corrective action at any millisecond. Plus, last one I tried which was probably v11, was not a smooth driver to ride with - herky jerky kinda movements. I'm a much smoother driver. It's easier to just drive myself.
The main point is its beta software. A work in progress. All who have it are testers. Another point is it may come out of beta in two months, six for sure. 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: B@ndit
Another point is it may come out of beta in two months, six for sure.
Auto wipers and cruise control have been in beta for 7 years.

The main point is its beta software. A work in progress.

But no, the main point is that FSD is not supposed to be L3 or greater. Unless you bought your car before 2019, Tesla didn't actually sell you hands off driving. They sold you City Streets Autosteer. You should not ever expect hands off from this software.

Nothing about this says they owe you more than what it does today:
1711835950752.png

I must say, I am extremely impressed by Elon Musk, aka Optimist Prime, for this move. I thought it might take another month or two or there might be restrictions (there still may be). I am amazed and delighted this has started to roll out.

I hope I get it before I make a 5 hour round trip to the nearest service center to get the Bioweapon Defense Mode retrofit.

I have a feeling the opposite effect will take place because of this free trial. Those of us trying it out for the first time are no longer curious and realize that it needs a lot of work. All the Hype on Social Media about it being mind blowing and amazing has been exposed.

It’s not worth more than $3k, and even then it’s a hard sell. The UI is amazing though, I’d pay $500 to keep it.

Exactly! It is FSD (supervised) or FSDS.
Which is why the average person would reasonably say that they don't get the point of it, much less spending $12K for it.

$12K for something you have to monitor all the time, forever? Just so Tesla can use you as a beta tester on possible eventual L3 or L4 software that likely won't ever work on your car and for which they will charge you more for?

I have a feeling the opposite effect will take place because of this free trial. Those of us trying it out for the first time are no longer curious and realize that it needs a lot of work. All the Hype on Social Media about it being mind blowing and amazing has been exposed.

It’s not worth more than $3k, and even then it’s a hard sell. The UI is amazing though, I’d pay $500 to keep it.
Shortly before the free trial announcement, Elon said FSD training was no longer compute limited. They are going to be getting a metric ship-load of data from the free trials. They are going to be getting a lot of edge cases and they will be getting data from regions where data may be lacking (middle America).

Elon had previously (a year ago?) promised/said that as soon as FSD gets good enough (safe enough) for general use then he would be giving everyone a free trial. Until now, the price and the version hoop jumping were designed to limit the number of beta users in order to prevent inattentive testers from creating accidents that would be catastrophic PR.

The timing of the wide release wasn't based on whether people are ready to purchase or subscribe to FSD, the timing was based on v12 being ready for wide release. IMHO this was a necessary step on the way to actually solving FSD. I don't have the exact quote but 2 or 3 years ago Musk said that they need to actually solve FSD to make it a compelling purchase. You're right, FSD is still not solved, but this was a big step in the right direction.

Shortly before the free trial announcement, Elon said FSD training was no longer compute limited. They are going to be getting a metric ship-load of data from the free trials. They are going to be getting a lot of edge cases and they will be getting data from regions where data may be lacking (middle America).

Elon had previously (a year ago?) promised/said that as soon as FSD gets good enough (safe enough) for general use then he would be giving everyone a free trial. Until now, the price and the version hoop jumping were designed to limit the number of beta users in order to prevent inattentive testers from creating accidents that would be catastrophic PR.

The timing of the wide release wasn't based on whether people are ready to purchase or subscribe to FSD, the timing was based on v12 being ready for wide release. IMHO this was a necessary step on the way to actually solving FSD. I don't have the exact quote but 2 or 3 years ago Musk said that they need to actually solve FSD to make it a compelling purchase. You're right, FSD is still not solved, but this was a big step in the right direction.

I’d pay a $20 monthly subscription and he would get plenty of data.

The three times I have asked to be taken home it’s stopped a block short lol, it’s actually pretty funny. I have sent feedback on this. It’s a nice party trick though.

I have to try it on the freeway, I’m sure that is where it will blow me away and most like 100% better than AP.

Can I ask a naive question - what is is about the ultrasonic sensors that stops these cars from getting the vision based autopark or the free V12 trial? Maybe there's a different software branch, with the non-USS branch getting the development? Thanks.

Can I ask a naive question - what is is about the ultrasonic sensors that stops these cars from getting the vision based autopark or the free V12 trial? Maybe there's a different software branch, with the non-USS branch getting the development? Thanks.
Could be a few different things; much like radar was disabled on cars that had it, they might be prepping for USS to be disabled once they've perfected the vision system. Or there is additional coding needed to make the new autopark system work without breaking USS since regular autopilot would still use it.

• Informative
Reactions: Piwacet