Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second trip 2022 MSLR w/USS in SoCal. Mostly city, a few miles of highway.

I wore a baseball cap and plorized shades as is my habit. No messages to pay attention for the whole trip.

Failed with right turn on red. Attempted the turn but stopped part way. The other car was way far away, I took over.

Manually controlling the speed with the thumb wheel made me feel better. The car is pretty lead foot on take off.

Very nice changing lanes just like I would.

So no strikes on this trip, but I give FSDS a B+. Very nice!

Wife in the car, she just kept talking like we weren't experiencing anything out of the ordinary. 🤪

Next will be a highway test.

Used FSD for the first time ever yesterday. So many things about it were impressive. But my overall impression so far is I'd never pay for it. If Canada had subscription then I'd subscribe for one month out of the year for a long 9hr road trip I do in the summer just to be able to make lane changes without it cancelling AP.
The things that annoyed me were it driving with one tire off onto the dirt shoulder (riddled with rim damaging pot holes) on paved country roads (with no lane markings. AutoSpeed taking a blind crest of a very steep hill at 10km/h over the speed limit and almost hitting the concrete barriers to the right (probably would have if I didn't take over but no way to know for sure as I wasn't about to find out). Also just how it stops so far back at stop signs and then creeps so slowly in up to the actual cross road which is typically slightly ahead of the stop sign placement.

I was impressed how it was able to turn left off of a highway onto a side rd and did a u-turn to get me back on the highway going the other direction.
It navigated a single-lane roundabout perfectly. I got it to activate Autopark once but it wouldn't do it on another half dozen spots right next to the one is did work on...not sure why? Summon tried to drive into a tree LOL

I will say that wearing sunglasses greatly cuts down on the amount of nags.

I'll have fun playing with it for the 30 days but Elon ain't getting any money out of me for it after that unless he gives me that monthly subscription option.
Tesla pushed FSD to my Cdn registered car last night. We're currently in AZ.

Not been following the discussion, but did download the FSD release and tried it out. Attempting to take some side streets to the freeway, then proceed to a park down the road a bit. Green arrows show the route taken. I thought it was interesting that the navigation decided to go right on Fair Oaks, then Left on Palmetto versus just taking California then right on Pasadena Av. Up to the red arrow the drive was pretty impressive. The red arrow starts on Pasadena Av. where the freeway entrance is, essentially the stub end where you get on to go North. The issue was that the car was doing 35MPH when it should have been accelerating to the freeway speed limit. No visible freeway speed limit signs there, so maybe that was what confused it. Cars behind me were honking their horns so I didn't have much time to decide what to do, so I just disengaged and took over. I did see a prompt come up asking why I disengaged, but it went away before I had a chance to tap it and provide feedback. I may try the route again on a less busy day to see if it does the same thing. Do appreciate the much better quality visualization. If anyone knows how to inform Tesla of the issue other than by the posed question let me know.

2024-04-01_12-46-55.png

Second trip 2022 MSLR w/USS in SoCal. Mostly city, a few miles of highway.

I wore a baseball cap and plorized shades as is my habit. No messages to pay attention for the whole trip.

Failed with right turn on red. Attempted the turn but stopped part way. The other car was way far away, I took over.

Manually controlling the speed with the thumb wheel made me feel better. The car is pretty lead foot on take off.

Very nice changing lanes just like I would.

So no strikes on this trip, but I give FSDS a B+. Very nice!

Wife in the car, she just kept talking like we weren't experiencing anything out of the ordinary. 🤪

Next will be a highway test.
I'm finding this to be very true and annoying. It does it even when not necessary at all. "The car is pretty lead foot on take off."

Reactions: zoomer0056
I am confused and maybe because I have a 2018 Model 3 but my app shows I am on 2024.8.7 which is later than most people are reporting but it says I am version 11.1 and no trial for me. Am I missing something?
We are not sure why some are on the 2024.8.x

As I've alluded to before, I think Tesla is using the version hoop to control who gets access to FSD. They may be delaying the v12 rollout to places like Tennessee and New Mexico because it's not ready for wide release in these areas.

I tried FSD v11 last summer but they made it very difficult, almost forcing me to upgrade my firmware and thus lock myself out of the beta program. I was being obnoxiously nagged every time I used the car.

As @kpanda17 also said, don't lose hope. I have no doubt Tesla is planing to release v12 nation-wide (and eventually world-wide). If the reasoning above is correct then when you finally do get a v12 free trial, you will have a better experience with it than if you got it today.

Another issue that is sometimes glossed over is map data. Tesla's map data in my area was so poor, FSD was unable to drive me to the grocery store. This was extremely annoying because it kept asking my why I disengaged. The navigation still doesn't know how to get me to the grocery store. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Tesla is working on improving the map data for more rural areas before they unleash free v12 trials.

IMO they have their priorities straight. Their primary focus should be on densely populated regions with high levels of Tesla ownership. In their quest to make FSD work nation-wide and eventually world-wide they now have to clean up its performance in less populated areas. The delayed free trial may be a good sign, indicating they realize it's not working well in some areas and they need to fix it before a wide release in those areas.

Not been following the discussion, but did download the FSD release and tried it out. Attempting to take some side streets to the freeway, then proceed to a park down the road a bit. Green arrows show the route taken. I thought it was interesting that the navigation decided to go right on Fair Oaks, then Left on Palmetto versus just taking California then right on Pasadena Av. Up to the red arrow the drive was pretty impressive. The red arrow starts on Pasadena Av. where the freeway entrance is, essentially the stub end where you get on to go North. The issue was that the car was doing 35MPH when it should have been accelerating to the freeway speed limit. No visible freeway speed limit signs there, so maybe that was what confused it. Cars behind me were honking their horns so I didn't have much time to decide what to do, so I just disengaged and took over. I did see a prompt come up asking why I disengaged, but it went away before I had a chance to tap it and provide feedback. I may try the route again on a less busy day to see if it does the same thing. Do appreciate the much better quality visualization. If anyone knows how to inform Tesla of the issue other than by the posed question let me know.

View attachment 1034332
You must not have gotten the memo about all the potholes on the 210...last year one cost me 500, which Caltrans would not pay for.

They may be delaying the v12 rollout to places like Tennessee and New Mexico because it's not ready for wide release in these areas.
Their primary focus should be on densely populated regions with high levels of Tesla ownership. In their quest to make FSD work nation-wide and eventually world-wide they now have to clean up its performance in less populated areas. The delayed free trial may be a good sign, indicating they realize it's not working well in some areas and they need to fix it before a wide release in those areas.
So Elon lied? Or are you going to keep trying to come up with excuses why him saying "All US cars that are capable of FSD will be enabled for a one month trial this week" is just him being "optimistic" and yeah, maybe it will be a few months to a year? And this lie is a good thing? It means Elon and Tesla really super know and trust FSD and it's technically ready and they are being careful about who gets what where and that's why they are releasing it last week, not because it's the beginning of a rough quarter?

FYI, I live in Seattle, and I'm the one that doesn't know anyone that has it (OK, now it's 1 out of 10 after this morning).

All of this is just insanity however. It's not FSD if it's tied to an area of the country where it works better or worse. Autonomy is supposed to be able to handle things as well as humans do. I thought I was supposed to be able to take this on a cross country trip? If it's so over-fitted to a region that it fails in others, or so reliant on maps to perform, it just shows you how far away Tesla is.

I have no doubt Tesla is planing to release v12 nation-wide (and eventually world-wide).
Well Phew. Glad you have no doubt. That makes what Elon said all good. Nevermind, I'll just sit here and wait for last week to be over.

Oh, and I'll leave this here:
We briefly barked up the tree of high precision lane line [maps], but decided it wasn't a good idea. -- Elon Musk

Last edited:
So Elon lied? Or are you going to keep trying to come up with excuses why him saying "All US cars that are capable of FSD will be enabled for a one month trial this week" is just him being "optimistic" and yeah, maybe it will be a few months to a year? And this lie is a good thing? It means Elon and Tesla really super know and trust FSD and it's technically ready and they are being careful about who gets what where and that's why they are releasing it last week, not because it's the beginning of a rough quarter?

FYI, I live in Seattle, and I'm the one that doesn't know anyone that has it (OK, now it's 1 out of 10 after this morning).

All of this is just insanity however. It's not FSD if it's tied to an area of the country where it works better or worse. Autonomy is supposed to be able to handle things as well as humans do. I thought I was supposed to be able to take this on a cross country trip? If it's so over-fitted to a region that it fails in others, or so reliant on maps to perform, it just shows you how far away Tesla is.

Well Phew. Glad you have no doubt. That makes what Elon said all good. Nevermind, I'll just sit here and wait for last week to be over.

Oh, and I'll leave this here:
According to you he's already a week late anyway

According to you he's already a week late anyway
Where did I say that?

Week ended yesterday. He's late. His statement was wrong. And now we have people going "don't worry, you'll get it someday, Elon is just optimistic. And this is a GOOD THING!" :rolleyes:

No, this is just us all falling for the Elon hype/gaslight cycle which has been occurring for a decade now.

So Elon lied? Or are you going to keep trying to come up with excuses why him saying "All US cars that are capable of FSD will be enabled for a one month trial this week" is just him being "optimistic" and yeah, maybe it will be a few months to a year? And this lie is a good thing
Perhaps you have confused me with someone else because I am certainly not making excuses for Elon and his egregious statements and behavior. I routinely call him out on his malarkey.

OTOH, I don't get my knickers in a twist when he is over-optimistic about FSD timelines. I was pleasantly surprised when:
  1. The free trial rollout started within a week of the announcement, and
  2. It went to people who had previously subscribed
We all know FSD is late. Instead of being outraged when the pattern of lateness repeats, I am pleasantly surprised when things go better than I expected.
Well Phew. Glad you have no doubt [Tesla plans a nation-wide release]. That makes what Elon said all good. Nevermind, I'll just sit here and wait for last week to be over.
I don't know why you seem to be so upset with me. I wasn't trying to justify Elon's over-optimism (I've jokingly referred to him as Optimist Prime in my sig). I was trying to allay someone's fears that they might miss out on the free trial.

Do you honestly believe Tesla is not planning a nation-wide rollout? Even though they've already invested billions of dollars into FSD and claim they are increasing that investment exponentially? Even though Elon has said the future of the company depends on solving FSD? Do you have any justification for mockingly deriding my confidence that Tesla is planning a nation-wide rollout?

I understand that you feel wronged and are upset. Perhaps rightly so. But playing the role of Charlie Brown and trying to kick the football of FSD expectations that Elon keeps pulling away may not be the most productive way to express your displeasure. Picking silly fights with people who might otherwise be your ally is almost certainly counterproductive.

Can you not just turn off FSD anymore?

(I'm not on V12 yet, but in V11, I have two profiles - one with FSD enabled so I can use it where it works well and one with FSD not enabled so I can use it when I just want to drive the car with EAP capability.)
3 profiles… FSD, Autosteer, and Traffic-Aware (or something like it). Autosteer is like EAP but acts a little different… going to try this mode again tomorrow.

Will auto steer give me back the auto lane change I had in my nose cone car? I'm guessing it might.
If your car has EAP, then yes, it will. And if your car currently has FSDS, I'll assume it has EAP as FSD is defined as EAP plus more features like city streets.

But I'm making an assumption (hence my original question as to whether disabling FSD will give you EAP features, since I don't have V12, I don't know for sure that is the case.)

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne