Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM & FM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your original post said there was no mention of HD (FM) radio, which is incorrect. I responded with the page number in the manual, and then you brought up AM radio, which was completely irrelevant to your post.
What part didn't you understand in context of my original post, which said there is as much evidence that HD is actually there as there is that AM is included???

If your so stuck on AM radio I will sell you my volt .... and xmradio is pretty much talk talk talk about nothing and play some music talk talk talk... I can remember when they played nothing but music no talk talk talk...that’s why I have cancelled all accounts but the lifetime I bought long ago.
Oh to have tune in and more in the model 3 can’t wait

If you're so stuck on TuneIn, let us know how it works with no cell service. And how it works for a Padres broadcast. Or how it works for CalTrans road conditions.

This of course doesn't address the lack of cell service but Tunein's premium option is increasingly becoming viable for previously blacked out sporting events. Maybe this will help.
tunein.PNG

Your original post said nothing about AM. All it said was that there is no mention of XM or HD (FM) in the manual.
Runt, you are correct as to what my first post stated. However, the topic of the thread is about AM/FM radio. Thus, my post is on topic and your attempt to derail by getting into a pissing match is tiring.

"Ignore" button utilized. Bye.

It's interesting that the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, with similar HV motors and inverters, have no AM radio reception problems. What do GM and Nissan engineers know that Tesla engineers don't?

Geez, I'm wondering about this...

I rarely listen to AM radio, but on occasion have. My 2012 LEAF received AM radio with no problem.

I just had my first opportunity to listen to AM the other night on my year old 2016 LEAF, and guess what: nothing but static.

I guess I could try a few other stations, but the station I was trying to pull in was a local station that I know I've listened to in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8

I rarely listen to AM radio, but on occasion have. My 2012 LEAF received AM radio with no problem.

I just had my first opportunity to listen to AM the other night on my year old 2016 LEAF, and guess what: nothing but static.

I guess I could try a few other stations, but the station I was trying to pull in was a local station that I know I've listened to in the past.
Sounds like you need to make an appointment with the dealer to look into the problem..

I had a 2004 Prius, and AM worked great for the first 6 years I had it. But gradually, during acceleration or regen, it rendered even strong stations pretty much unlistenable. Working theory was corrosion of a grounding connection in the inverter. I never had it fixed before getting rid of it.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
As a data point for AM radio in EV's, BMW enables AM radio in the i3's that are sold in Europe, but disables AM in the USA. Very strange, but the cars are codeable with a laptop computer and I turned AM back on for my Mom's car and it works great. Lot's of speculation as to why BMW does this, but it does not seem to be an issue with interference inherent to the EV drive-train.