Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM & FM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good new from all those previous posts commenting about the possibility of no AM radio. A clip from the recently released Model 3 Manual PDF (Last sentence)

Hoot Hoot!

NO mention of XM...booooo

"Touch the Media Player application to listen to
Internet radio, stream music or podcasts (if
available), or play audio files from a Bluetooth
or USB-connected device. You can also play
AM and FM radio."

I wouldn’t put too much faith into this as it’s been pointed out a good amount of the Model 3 manual is just a copy and paste job from the S and X manuals. From what I’ve read this leaked manual is a very early version and is probably out of date already. None of the previous info from Tesla has ever mentioned AM, only FM radio has been confirmed. Still not sure if the software has been updated to actually support the FM radio yet though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
My wife and I jumped into our 1967 Cougar yesterday to run some errands. Floor-mounted three-speeds forward standard transmission, crank windows, and a monaural AM radio. She wanted to turn on the radio, and I said, "Sure, but remember all we have is AM." She turns it on, and the station was an oldies Top 40 format complete with the classic jingles and time tones and rapid delivery disc jockey. The first song was "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)" by John Fred and His Playboy Band from 1968. Time travel perfected! But there is just something about the old formats on AM radio that were fun and entertaining.

AM in a MS is basically unusable, so even if AM is there, don't count on wanting to listen to it. There is tons of static on my MS for stations that in every other car I've driven come in crystal clear.
It's interesting that the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, with similar HV motors and inverters, have no AM radio reception problems. What do GM and Nissan engineers know that Tesla engineers don't?

AM in a MS is basically unusable, so even if AM is there, don't count on wanting to listen to it. There is tons of static on my MS for stations that in every other car I've driven come in crystal clear.
Not my experience at all. I have no problem receiving AM. Weak stations, of course there is static. But in the LA/OC/SD metro areas, AM is perfectly usable in my '15 MS70D.

Reactions: BlueRocket
Your original post never said anything about AM, and neither did my reply. Trying to change the subject to AM doesn't change the fact that your post was factually incorrect.
The subject of the thread is AM-FM Radio. Keep up.

Factually incorrect? Please, great one, enlighten me. I stated that the manual currently says you can receive AM and FM. That's a fact.

It's interesting that the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, with similar HV motors and inverters, have no AM radio reception problems. What do GM and Nissan engineers know that Tesla engineers don't?

They use PMAC motors, right? Maybe the S AM-radio interference is specific to the AC-induction motor, and the Model 3's PMAC motor won't interfere with AM. fingers crossed

• Informative
Reactions: Ivan.R
.. and not a peep about XM, or HD (FM) radio, too.

The subject of the thread is AM-FM Radio. Keep up.

Factually incorrect? Please, great one, enlighten me. I stated that the manual currently says you can receive AM and FM. That's a fact.
Your original post said there was no mention of HD (FM) radio, which is incorrect. I responded with the page number in the manual, and then you brought up AM radio, which was completely irrelevant to your post.