Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being stupid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Free charging (I use destination supercharging a lot in the warmer months).
What is Destination Supercharging?

5. A little bit more range - after 5 months I still suffer from range anxiety. I've frozen myself and especially my feet too many times already not willing to use heat to get home or to charge that much quicker at a level 2 charger.
I would want to see the wk057 analysis to know if the usable battery is significantly different between the 90 and the 100.
Tesla Motors: PLEASE stop lying about specifications (60 to 75 upgrade)
How would level 2 charging be any quicker?

I would want to see the wk057 analysis to know if the usable battery is significantly different between the 90 and the 100.
It actually is Destination Charging, and is level 2 charging using Tesla supplied equipment and connectors, but located at hotels, restaurants, shopping cnters and other locations that are 'destinations'. These typically are 208 to 240 v and 40 to 80 amps, depending on power availability. On teh tesla website is a comprehenive list fo Destination Chargers, together with more detailed explanations: Destination Charging | Tesla
In your area, Destination Charging can get you to PEI, Nova Scotia, Dept Iles and others areas too remote/scarcely population to justify Supercharging. Destination Charging is a major benefit!

I was asking SSD420 what he meant by destination supercharging, trying to explore how that could relate to the timing of moving from a 90 to a 100 pack.
He was misnaming the concept. Either way because they are all Level 2, the tapering issues will not be impediments. Anyway, the 90 and 100 packs have very similar characteristics so the real issue is how valuable the extra range of the 100 is, or in the case of P100D, the faster acceleration.
Even today the biggest rational advantage of the larger pack is improved range in inclement weather.

If I lived in Main and could afford it, I'd buy the biggest pack I could get, assuming I wanted to wander around the North, which I would if I were there. Actually, I've done it anyway in a P90D

Compare Side-by-Side

SP90D = 270 miles.
SP100D = 315 miles

XP90D = 250 miles
XP100D = 289 miles.

315/270 = 1.167
289/250 = 1.156 - 16% more miles despite being a heavier car.

100/90 = 1.11

It looks to me like the overstating of capacity on the big batteries stops with the 90.

I just decided to move forward with a MX 90D (midnight silver, ultra white) to lock in free supercharging and the EAP and fully autonomous hardware. Rationale for me was that the free supercharging is not something I will ever have the chance to "upgrade" to again, but if I wait a month for the next, unknown improvement, I miss out on the charging and then will still want to buy the next best thing a few months later. Harder decision for me was whether to buy or lease - I decided to buy (for now, maybe I can still change), but am nervous about it. I had leased my previous '15 MS 90D, and happy with that decision (it was a test drive model and I got a screaming deal, so it was a no-brainer given the depreciation with technology).

The free supercharging feels different to me, and there will only be a handful of cars with the combination of free supercharging and the fully autonomous hardware. Even thought I don't know exact value of free supercharging yet, seems to me that will make my car stand out and be preferable for buyers on resale, as well as if I decide to keep long term (also a point of stress because I'm worried about MX being over-engineered, but ultimately decided to go with the SUV because I prefer the form factor and plan on getting a Model 3 when they come out - felt like that was a better stable of electric cars than a MS and an Model 3).

Really excited about the car - just hope I'm right and don't get crushed on depreciation.

Reactions: Ormond
Compare Side-by-Side

It looks to me like the overstating of capacity on the big batteries stops with the 90.
We also know that 100's have passive cooling, thus increasing effective range by reducing parasite losses. There are also so-far-unknown circuitry changes, including presumably the printed circuits.
Regardless of actual kWh 100's are substantially more efficient than are the older designs.

Specifically to the OP issue, I would buy 100 in preference to any other because of the complete new technology package..

BTW, I do understand that some of the new technology has been deployed in the smaller sizes too, so if money were tight I would not shy away from them.

Clearly Tesla is becoming less 'optimistic' in stating electrical capacity and probably some other metrics too.

I just decided to move forward with a MX 90D (midnight silver, ultra white) to lock in free supercharging and the EAP and fully autonomous hardware. Rationale for me was that the free supercharging is not something I will ever have the chance to "upgrade" to again, but if I wait a month for the next, unknown improvement, I miss out on the charging and then will still want to buy the next best thing a few months later. Harder decision for me was whether to buy or lease - I decided to buy (for now, maybe I can still change), but am nervous about it. I had leased my previous '15 MS 90D, and happy with that decision (it was a test drive model and I got a screaming deal, so it was a no-brainer given the depreciation with technology).

The free supercharging feels different to me, and there will only be a handful of cars with the combination of free supercharging and the fully autonomous hardware. Even thought I don't know exact value of free supercharging yet, seems to me that will make my car stand out and be preferable for buyers on resale, as well as if I decide to keep long term (also a point of stress because I'm worried about MX being over-engineered, but ultimately decided to go with the SUV because I prefer the form factor and plan on getting a Model 3 when they come out - felt like that was a better stable of electric cars than a MS and an Model 3).

Really excited about the car - just hope I'm right and don't get crushed on depreciation.

If you believe the unlimited supercharging is a large value, buy is the correct decision.

All expensive cars do have high depreciation.

EV.......scroll down to the five seat option on my link - Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla - and read the text between the picture and the 'five seat option'. I can't figure out how to paste it here, but it says "Designed with a 60/40 split to recline separately or fold entirely flat...." and thats what I am expecting when my X arrives. Do you know if this is not correct? I'll be bummed. :(

I think we finally have an answer. This link was given on the Tesla forums. It says they do recline, though not all the way back.

Read here.

If you believe the unlimited supercharging is a large value, buy is the correct decision.

All expensive cars do have high depreciation.
Didn't Tesla charge $2k for free supercharging at one point? Wouldn't be surprising if they brought that back.

Also, is it confirmed that the supercharging continues for the life of the car with all owners? Or only the original owner? If you change the battery park, does it also go away? Lots of unanswered questions it seems.

Didn't Tesla charge $2k for free supercharging at one point? Wouldn't be surprising if they brought that back.
I wonder about the value of the free supercharger. Someone did the calculation based on that $2k original cost and that would be about 50,000 mile of distance driving before you broke even. How many people travel that much?

Also, is it confirmed that the supercharging continues for the life of the car with all owners? Or only the original owner? If you change the battery park, does it also go away? Lots of unanswered questions it seems.
I can't quote you a source, but I've read people say they got it from Tesla that the free SC goes with the car through multiple owners. Of course, that is only assured through a private sale, since when Tesla gets a trade-in to re-sell as a CPO, they can either decide to say the car is no longer eligible, or conversely qualify one that otherwise wasn't, to make it more attractive to the buyer.

Have never seen any discussion about the effect if the battery is swapped, although the idea of paying double the cost of original capacity bump price is pretty foreign to me.

I wonder about the value of the free supercharger. Someone did the calculation based on that $2k original cost and that would be about 50,000 mile of distance driving before you broke even. How many people travel that much?

Uhh no. If you trust rated miles maybe, but if you use actual amount of energy from the socket, 50k miles costs me more like $5600 for me, assuming I took 4 years to get that mileage. It's scary how fast all the "overzealous" things multiply together, trip meter underestimation, charger efficiency, etc.

The only way this works for Tesla is they plan on selling twice as many cars next year as this year in order to support the people they gave the "free" supercharging to, where the future market eclipses the people getting a free ride.

I don't think there's any chance the new model will have an unlimited option, after Tesla has watched several businesses exploit the original conditions to the tune of several thousand dollars per year per car.

For psychological reasons, I'm hoping they offer a "roadtrips" package that includes a thousand or two kWh per year as a one time fee, but I'm not confident that'll show up either.

(Even if paying by the kWh would be cheaper overall, getting road trips without paying at the time feels better and makes me more likely to take them.)