Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I charging incorrectly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEMA 14-50 240.

Ok. While the rest of you figure out the numbers, I have a feeling I know what is going on here.

I haven’t used tesla fi, so I could be wrong. But, most vehicle trackers report energy going into and out of the battery when reporting charging and driving. This is what most people care about because this is like gas. You can track how much energy you put in, and then can drive how far on that energy.

The utility is reporting how much energy is pulled through their grid.

The difference is the energy cost due to the inefficiency of the charge system. The car tracker probably does not report the energy required to power the charging system, or the the losses in the system, such as heat.

Depending on how you are charging at home, I would not be surprised if it took 110kw to charge you battery 100kw.

Long shot, but my friend's sump pump wore a hole in the side and was running 24/7... You may have a failing appliance (fridge?). You could check your power usage from the meter with the car disconnected and see if the average load has gone up.
Thanks Mongo. All appliances are new. Is there a load detection device I can put on my main panel that will give me more information?

The difference is the energy cost due to the inefficiency of the charge system. The car tracker probably does not report the energy required to power the charging system, or the the losses in the system, such as heat.

Depending on how you are charging at home, I would not be surprised if it took 110kw to charge you battery 100kw.
I included that in my ballpark estimate a few comments ago, showing how the utility would see 418 kWh to get 376 kWh of driving energy. That still came out to just a little over $50. That 90% efficiency difference isn't close to the double amount that's showing.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
It shouldn't hurt the car if you need to leave it unplugged for a day.
Hell leave it unplugged for 50-60 miles go by. Something else is happening
Thanks very much Thp. My net cost per kWh is .13588 cents. We heat and cook with gas.
This Teslafi charge summary is somewhere in this thread too.

Historically what is you usage same time last year over lets say: Feb, March April and May. kWh only please forget the dollars. Here in Florida I use hardly any kWh in the winter, but man as things start heating up the A/C starts being used this kWh's start logging pretty hard. Is that the case maybe in Nevada? My bill also states same month last year to this year so I can see quite a bit. 11 cents per kWh here.
You may have to go back to old bills, also some months they bill 28-29-30-31 days all must be taken into account.

Lets here the history if you can same time last as this with the car this year.

Last edited:
We live across the border in NH....also have Eversource. Our cost is closer to $0.19 to $0.20 per kWh. 0.13 isn't bad for New England, are you taking into account both transmission and generation charges?.....they are listed separately on the bill.

Agreed with others though, something doesn't sound so great.
Thanks Surf. I just checked. Generation charge is 136.42 transmission charge is 25.95. Distribution charge is 64.22. Subtotal delivery services
114.78. So clearly I didn’t take into account those charges. Something is still rotten in Denmark.

Hell leave it unplugged for 50-60 miles go by. Something else is happening

Historically what is you usage same time last year over lets say: Feb, March April and May. kWh only please forget the dollars. Here in Florida I use hardly any kWh in the winter, but man as things start heating up the A/C starts being used this kWh's start logging pretty hard. Is that the case maybe in Nevada? My bill also states same month last year to this year so I can see quite a bit. 11 cents per kWh here.

Lets here the history if you can same time last as this with the car this year.
I’m gonna leave it unplugged for a while. The way I drive I could leave it unplugged for a week. It just means a bigger (longer) charge doesn’t it?
I’d be curious if it’s a wash or there are substantial savings to be had by leaving it unplugged for a while. I was just going by best charging practices that I’ve read about here. April of last year was 505.

I included that in my ballpark estimate a few comments ago, showing how the utility would see 418 kWh to get 376 kWh of driving energy. That still came out to just a little over $50. That 90% efficiency difference isn't close to the double amount that's showing.

Agreed if that is what the number came out to. I would actually expect 110v to be closer to 50%. Anything 240 to be 20 or better (really roughy estimates).

The number can get really bad fast if the car it active at all when it is done charging. There has been some notable software bugs that have drained the 12 system in the past. If the unplugged overnight range loss is high, would it show up in the teslifi app? Sentry mode?

Just wondering.

Agreed if that is what the number came out to. I would actually expect 110v to be closer to 50%. Anything 240 to be 20 or better (really roughy estimates).

The number can get really bad fast if the car it active at all when it is done charging. There has been some notable software bugs that have drained the 12 system in the past. If the unplugged overnight range loss is high, would it show up in the teslifi app? Sentry mode?

Just wondering.
Phantom drain seems to be low. In 19 hours loss of 7 miles. 1.63 kWhs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my first electric bill with a complete month of charging my Model 3. My bill went from 149.00 to 251.00. There are no off peak rates with my supplier Eversource here in MA. I have charged only twice to 100% both times to confirm 325 miles of range.
Home 322.87 kWh 339.28 kWh 95.16 % 2 Days 4 Hours 32 Minutes 19 Minutes $ 0.00 $ 42.43

The above from Teslafi using the total per KWHs costs from Eversource, but excluding the 7.00 per month minimum charge that’s added to the per KWH that I calculated to be .095 cents and plugged into price box in Teslafi. The 7 bucks divided by 30 days is 23 cents per day. Is my math incorrect? Nothing other than charging has changed in our monthly electricity usage. I have since reduced my SOC to 80%.
The car had 60 miles on the ODO when I took delivery, and now has 1376 miles. I don’t drive a lot.
Thanks in advance from Einstein’s mentally challenged long lost cousin.

$0.15 /kWh
1400 miles
0.350 kWh/mi

$0.15 /kWh * 0.35 kWh/mi = $0.0525/mi

$0.0525*1400 = $73.50 to charge car (liberal cost)

The $0.138 seems a little high for a winter rate, but whatever it is, it is.

Also look to see if you are on a constant bill type payment system and this was when they re-averaged your bill.

Summer driving will help increase your efficiency from 350 wh/mi to 250 wH/mi about a 30% savings. But comparing to a 25 mpg car:

25 mpg / $2.50 /Gal = $0.10 /mi
$0.10/mi * 1400 miles = $140

My winter electricity in Georgia is about $0.05, but summer is $0.10.

$0.15 /kWh
1400 miles
0.350 kWh/mi

$0.15 /kWh * 0.35 kWh/mi = $0.0525/mi

$0.0525*1400 = $73.50 to charge car (liberal cost)

The $0.138 seems a little high for a winter rate, but whatever it is, it is.

Also look to see if you are on a constant bill type payment system and this was when they re-averaged your bill.

Summer driving will help increase your efficiency from 350 wh/mi to 250 wH/mi about a 30% savings. But comparing to a 25 mpg car:

25 mpg / $2.50 /Gal = $0.10 /mi
$0.10/mi * 1400 miles = $140

My winter electricity in Georgia is about $0.05, but summer is $0.10.
Thanks E. Up here historically rates go down in July. Sort of counterintuitive because the grid is stressed the most at that time from AC use.

I’m gonna leave it unplugged for a while. The way I drive I could leave it unplugged for a week. It just means a bigger (longer) charge doesn’t it?
I’d be curious if it’s a wash or there are substantial savings to be had by leaving it unplugged for a while. I was just going by best charging practices that I’ve read about here.
Well, there are varying opinions on what are best practices. Ask 10 people and you get 12 answers :D
Several reasons to leave it unplugged for a longer period of time. My reason is that it gives you an opportunity to more closely see things like idle battery drain or potential other factors that you might not notice by having it plugged in all the time. In other words, change the variables and observe.:) Who know, you might see something different.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
My bill only shows the current cycle at 31 days. Can’t seem to find cycle for last month.

You should pull the old bills off the utility's website. My first bill went to $244 from $180, which I thought was a lot.

Turns out the first bill was 35 days, up from the previous bill of 29 days. Accounting for those six days made up a lot of the difference in the higher bill.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and hcdavis3
I’d be curious if it’s a wash or there are substantial savings to be had by leaving it unplugged for a while. I was just going by best charging practices that I’ve read about here. April of last year was 505.
I believe you should be able to accomplish the same thing by using the start charging timer to control charging.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Generation charge is 136.42 transmission charge is 25.95. Distribution charge is 64.22.

@hcdavis3 You need to add together the kWh rates of all three of these to get your real price-per-kWh number. On Eversource in MA you should be somewhere in the 0.22 - 0.27 range I would guess.
Awesome. Thanks very much.

Don't feel bad. At least you're not this other guy. I can't find his thread now, maybe because he was embarrassed and deleted it. He was asking why his Tesla was using up huge amounts of energy and driving up his electric bill. There were some questions and answers to try to figure out more details, and then he offhandedly mentioned what he thought was a minor detail about the garage where his car charged:
He has a collection of expensive classic guitars that he keeps in the garage, and he doesn't want them damaged by the cold, so he keeps a space heater running out there all the time to keep the garage warm. But he thought that would be some unnoticeable insignificant amount of energy because, "It's just a little heater" Umm, YES it sure would!
Thanks again Rocky. Will this help my electric bill? I deleted Stats app and my car went to sleep immediately.

Attachments

• 69BC019E-FB96-4238-9EEC-7079747F7BEA.png
    69BC019E-FB96-4238-9EEC-7079747F7BEA.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 55