Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one that loves not having a Key Fob?

I miss my key fob

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved it when it was working.

But, sadly after updating to the latest IOS it stopped working. Now I have to turn my phone on when I'm close to my car for it to unlock the car.

That's really the biggest issue with relying on a phone. The phone and it's OS is completely outside the control of Tesla. So the functionality can easily break.

The other thing I don't like about the phone based approach is summons. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with summons with a FOB, but sadly summons supposedly doesn't work with the fob yet. I have to wonder if Tesla didn't purposely make the Model 3 FOB a complete joke to try to push people to use their phones.

The other thing I liked about the FOB (when I had a Model S) is I could leave my car unlocked in the garage. I can't do that with the phone solution because I don't want to always have to use the app to lock the door.

I have a Gen3 August at home (and installed a Gen1 at parents). Very discreet and compatible with most doors. Bonus is that it uses your existing hardware

Walk up unlock is awesome!

Let me guess you all have iPhones. I have a gen 3 August as well and it's problematic at best with Android.
As of today the August Android app has 3540 ratings and 790 one star reviews for a 3.5 overall rating. The iPhone August app review was 4.8 with 37k reviews.
I'm a long-time Android fan but there are still areas where iPhone is better

Let me guess you all have iPhones. I have a gen 3 August as well and it's problematic at best with Android.
As of today the August Android app has 3540 ratings and 790 one star reviews for a 3.5 overall rating. The iPhone August app review was 4.8 with 37k reviews.

I'll let you guess and i'll let you even read :) I posted here that I am/was on Nexus 6P and Pixel 3 XL. August app has worked well enough and definitely enough for my needs (walk up unlock and remote unlocking)

I have also heard that IOS integration was better though... Not sure what could be better?

Samsung S8 here. I keep a key card in the phone case on the phone just in case phone goes dead. I have had zero issues with car opening for me with latest S8 update and very few before. That is where the card in between case and phone comes in handy.

Love it, and it was a major selling point for me. With my August locks, I now only carry my wallet and phone. Maybe with Apple Pay becoming more common, I'll be able to go out with just my phone one day. I haven't had a single issue using the phone as a key (iPhone X, then iPhones XS Max)... I do wish that there was a quicker/easier way to open the trunk though. I use it a lot, and it's the single most frustrating thing about the car. (The app just takes so long to wake up... if it ever does.)

I don't understand the argument that carrying a card + a phone is a PITA (in case your phone dies). The way I see it, I put a key card in my wallet (my backup), and I always have my phone. I haven't had to use my card yet and absolutely love not having to carry keys (or fobs) anymore.

All that said, I recently switched from a note 8 to an Iphone XR... and the only issue I get maybe 10% of the time is that I can't open the trunk without first going to the side of the car and opening a door.

I have the card inside my iPhone case right behind the phone.

So if the phone fails I can just put it next to the center spot and the card handles things.

That said the “buttflesh” advice was really good. Got it from a YouTube video.
- basically don’t have your butt between your phone and your car when approaching it. Your butt has enough fat to block the signal... so as I approach my car I just hold my phone. I willbe taking out of my back pocket anyway when I get in, so I just do that about 15 feet early.

Brilliant.

I've been keeping it in my wallet but I like this idea better. Should work through the case, too.

It's probably better to keep the card in your wallet than your phone case... just incase your phone is stolen or lost, you will have a backup to get into your car.

I love not carrying any car keys. I don't carry house keys either.
The only key I need to carry unfortunately is for work... literally one single key.

Love it, and it was a major selling point for me. With my August locks, I now only carry my wallet and phone. Maybe with Apple Pay becoming more common, I'll be able to go out with just my phone one day. I haven't had a single issue using the phone as a key (iPhone X, then iPhones XS Max)... I do wish that there was a quicker/easier way to open the trunk though. I use it a lot, and it's the single most frustrating thing about the car. (The app just takes so long to wake up... if it ever does.)

Have you tried the "notification" bar? You don't need to open the app for Trunk/Frunk/Unlock

It's probably better to keep the card in your wallet than your phone case... just incase your phone is stolen or lost, you will have a backup to get into your car.

I love not carrying any car keys. I don't carry house keys either.
The only key I need to carry unfortunately is for work... literally one single key.
I actually keep another key card in my wallet just in case, being a bit paranoid. I bought a third and keep it at home in the extreme off chance something happens to both.

I love the phone-as-key solution. Since I enter my home via garage and my office via a key card, I’ve eliminated my key chain. While the phone has failed to unlock the car a couple of times, it is >99% reliable. That said, things will get interesting the day my home loses power while I am out and I cannot open the garage door. I will be out of luck.

Reactions: Brisket5652