Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised by all the disappointment with everyone. This is basically exactly what I figured the Y wold look like and I think it's the perfect vehicle for the mass market. Take on the X3, the Q5, etc and start moving people away from ICE. Remember that is what Tesla is now all about. It's about mass market adoption of transport.

You want something cool, unique, and one-of-a-kind, then get a Roadster. These are meant to be high volume cars that will appeal to as many people as possible.

The whole expectation of the 'One more thing' is just out of control nowadays. Everyone wants to always be shocked and awed. It's awesome when that happens, but you can't have it every time there is a product release.

The x3 and q5 are not really mass market cars Taking those on changes nothing but the cars parked in condo garages in San Francisco, San Jose and manhattan.

It's OK I guess. What really should exist is this:

tesla-model-s-shooting-brake-11-e1528818438541.jpg
And sell like 5 cars in the US.

• Funny
Reactions: Johan and gavine
The Y is similar enough to the 3 that I don't think that I will be able to tell them apart, unless parked side by side and I can see which car is taller. Not that I am surprised, given the need to keep the cost down.

I expect that the Y will outsell the 3 in the USA (preference for taller utility vehicles and trucks) and overseas (preference for hatchbacks).

Reactions: mos6507
I would think X3, Mecan, Evoke, and SQ5 , are the Y's competition (but will pull some Rav, CRV, subi sales too) and I like the Y best:

View attachment 386676

Cheaper, faster, and more cargo space than this competition too, i think.

All those cars look like the same car. Nothing new in their design. Tesla's Model Y is radically different than the competition. In a crowded market, you want to be the different.

Reactions: morrisdl
I was underwhelmed initially, but it's grown on me a lot overnight as I dig for more life-like photos. I have a feeling the design is not translating well in photos. It looks much smaller than I know it is. I think it probably looks more like a crossover (like Macan, X4, or Merecedes GLC Coupe dimensions) in person. Maybe people that stood next to it in person last have confirmed..not sure.

I actually liked the design since it looks like the 3 and I like the 3, but I was looking for a mini SUV to replace my AWD Equinox. My Equinox has 7.8" of ground clearance and no third row (don't care for that). If I'm not mistaken, Model 3 has 5.5" clearance, and model Y doesn't seem to have improved on it.

Kona EV has 6.2" clearance (also not as good as the Equinox).

My original plan was to order the Y and not FSD for my 3, but I ended up just buying FSD. I'll wait until someone has an AWD electric crossover (small) SUV that's actually far from the ground.

Jaguar I-pace says it has 9.1" clearance (is that for real?) but that one is fugly and not on my budget.

View attachment 386697
Purely design, I find this radical enough from current gas designs and also luxurious enough to warrant a luxury price tag.
"Radical enough" should start with no grill and they went the opposite direction. Concepts are always splashy. Let's see what the real world version ends up looking like. Take away the fancy wheels, some of the cladding, matrix headlights and you have an Evoque.

Reactions: Lasairfion
"Radical enough" should start with no grill and they went the opposite direction. Concepts are always splashy. Let's see what the real world version ends up looking like. Take away the fancy wheels, some of the cladding, matrix headlights and you have an Evoque.

“The only major difference between the final design and the concept car? The road-going version will have a real set of door handles.” That’s from Audi. All of the crazy lights and what not will make it to production.

Reactions: SoCalGuy