Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMA about owning Modern Mercedes EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the USA, I would not own any primary-use electric car which did not have access to Tesla Supercharger network.

This issue will ease in ~2025 as everyone moves to NACS connectors. But trying to go any long distance on the currently available US CCS charger is just ugly, in sharp contrast to traveling in the Tesla which tends to be "oh wow, look at yet another well maintained nicely located station!"

Reactions: Kandiru
In the USA, I would not own any primary-use electric car which did not have access to Tesla Supercharger network.

This issue will ease in ~2025 as everyone moves to NACS connectors. But trying to go any long distance on the currently available US CCS charger is just ugly, in sharp contrast to traveling in the Tesla which tends to be "oh wow, look at yet another well maintained nicely located station!"

In the USA, I wouldn't trust a BEV for long distance travel with my family. Maybe a short jaunt to a day care or grocery store, but not a long trip. ICE all the way for long trips. I'll put my own life on the line with BEV because I have life insurance heh.

Tesla's own reps told us that when we willingly put our kids and parents in a Tesla, we are signing up to put them at more risk than ICE. Because BEVs are the latest technology, and with technology comes bugs. So when the car shuts down while you're driving, that's just a downside of driving BEVs. They told the same thing to another family that has their kids at the day care we use. It's not like Mercedes BEVs are better... almost all of them seem to like throwing error codes and have weird quirks.

ICE = awesome for long trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and DanDi58
In the USA, I wouldn't trust a BEV for long distance travel with my family. Maybe a short jaunt to a day care or grocery store, but not a long trip. ICE all the way for long trips. I'll put my own life on the line with BEV because I have life insurance heh.

Tesla's own reps told us that when we willingly put our kids and parents in a Tesla, we are signing up to put them at more risk than ICE. Because BEVs are the latest technology, and with technology comes bugs. So when the car shuts down while you're driving, that's just a downside of driving BEVs. They told the same thing to another family that has their kids at the day care we use. It's not like Mercedes BEVs are better... almost all of them seem to like throwing error codes and have weird quirks.

Is there anything in the preceding post that is true? Sounds like FUD to me.

Reactions: DanDi58

Wow. This feels utterly out of touch. I have travelled all over the country in my Tesla, I've never had a bad charging experience, never had a break down, and I honestly have no idea what you think you're talking about.

Explain, in detail, what is "dangerous" about putting a family in a Tesla for a trip? Be specific.

Reactions: KJD
ICE historically is proven for long distance
But Tesla is also proven for long distance as Tesla Model S has 11 year history
Tesla Supercharger network has 11 year history
The battery and range of Teslas lead the industry
Avg single usa drive is 500 miles in one day
All Teslas can complete 500 miles easily with one stop similar to bathroom and food break

We respect ICE but this is about moving to BEV and is it possible for road trips when using a Tesla
Absolutely
Other BEVs using CCS charging locations, def not
This is due to poor reliability of CCS locations

This will change in 2024/2025 with non Tesla BEVs having access to Tesla Supercharging

ICE historically is proven for long distance
But Tesla is also proven for long distance as Tesla Model S has 11 year history
Tesla Supercharger network has 11 year history
The battery and range of Teslas lead the industry
Avg single usa drive is 500 miles in one day
All Teslas can complete 500 miles easily with one stop similar to bathroom and food break

We respect ICE but this is about moving to BEV and is it possible for road trips when using a Tesla
Absolutely
Other BEVs using CCS charging locations, def not
This is due to poor reliability of CCS locations

This will change in 2024/2025 with non Tesla BEVs having access to Tesla Supercharging

The funny thing in the FUD rant (original one, not yours) is that there ARE cases where a Tesla are not a good choice.

If you live in an apartment and have no way to charge overnight nor plug option at work - that's a poor use case.

If you like going camping waaaaaaaaay far away from civilization - that's a bad use case.

Putting the kids in and driving to see grandma? I'd rather be in a Tesla than most ICE cars. Why be bogus about it?

Wow. This feels utterly out of touch. I have travelled all over the country in my Tesla, I've never had a bad charging experience, never had a break down, and I honestly have no idea what you think you're talking about.

Explain, in detail, what is "dangerous" about putting a family in a Tesla for a trip? Be specific.

I'll send you a PM (I know the mods don't want me derailing this thread with my experience). But I assure you. Tesla's own reps here in Dublin, CA told my family NEVER to buy Tesla again over the topic of whether or not a brand new vehicle vehicle that shuts down while it's being operated is an issue for concern. They had to double-down on this position because they were trying to assure us that our brand new Model X was just exhibiting a behavior that "happens all the time" so it was NBD for our car to shut down with 300 miles on the odometer.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and DanDi58
He asked me if he could use the Tesla charger..

20231014_144421.jpg

• Funny
He asked me if he could use the Tesla charger..

Yeah, this is probably 100% on Mercedes doing what I personally think is a poor job educating buyers about BEVs. It isn't a stretch for someone to then bring a EQ to a Tesla Supercharger looking lost. But hopefully you got them sorted out and explained the situation lol.

As far as I'm aware, the EQS, EQE and EQB don't ship with a mobile charger. And Mercedes doesn't have any real overt discounts/training like what Kia does to get a home EVSE installed. So, you could easily buy a Mercedes EQ and have no clue what you're supposed to do to get more energy once you leave the lot.

I don't think the average car buyer realizes a CCS plug is comprised of an upper portion that is J1772 for level 2 and a bottom port for DC fast charging. The NACS to J1772 adaptors are so cheap now haha. Things are made worse that the news does keep talking about how many automakers (excluding VAG and Stellantis of course) want to commonize to NACS; to allow charging at Tesla superchargers.

So yeah, please keep helping your new BEV adopters when they look lost.

I'll send you a PM (I know the mods don't want me derailing this thread with my experience). But I assure you. Tesla's own reps here in Dublin, CA told my family NEVER to buy Tesla again over the topic of whether or not a brand new vehicle vehicle that shuts down while it's being operated is an issue for concern. They had to double-down on this position because they were trying to assure us that our brand new Model X was just exhibiting a behavior that "happens all the time" so it was NBD for our car to shut down with 300 miles on the odometer.

Not interested in a private FUD fest. thanks

Reactions: DanDi58
Lucky for you, your Teslas seem to work well.

You know the one and only time I actually had a car "fail" on me? It was a big V8 e500 mercedes. Cam position sensor died - bricked the entire car while going 50 mph. Power steering went flat without engine power, same with brake assist. It was fine. I handled it, but it's amusingly the exact opposite of your EV fear and brand.

You know the one and only time I actually had a car "fail" on me? It was a big V8 e500 mercedes. Cam position sensor died - bricked the entire car while going 50 mph. Power steering went flat without engine power, same with brake assist. It was fine. I handled it, but it's amusingly the exact opposite of your EV fear and brand.

You gotta stick with what works for you. Tesla doesn’t work for us. Not really a “fear” as you keep putting it when Tesla says to us it happens all the time to brand new cars.

Except BEV is safer. I haven't had any true issues with my EV6 GT on road trips, even through Oklahoma, AR, and E. TX. I encountered one station that was down, just drove to the next.

You gotta stick with what works for you. Tesla doesn’t work for us. Not really a “fear” as you keep putting it when Tesla says to us it happens all the time to brand new cars.

The difference here is that despite having had an MB with a V8 that failed in a slightly scary way, I do not assume that it's "dangerous" to put my family in a v8 mercedes. In fact they're excellent cars - not as reliable as a Lexus but worthy. Just like Teslas.

Status
Not open for further replies.