Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question is how much time I'd need to charge at the Vernon RV park? If I can only charge about 25 RM/hour at the RV park, I may do just as well going through OK City on the interstates.

I drove from Fort Worth to Crested Butte last summer in a 2018 S75D. I charged for an hour at Vernon (Rocking V) and that was enough to get me to Childress.

I've delayed posting on my trip from Dallas to Crested Butte (It's taken this long to get over the trauma, lol)

My plan was to drive from Dallas to Ardmore to Childress to Dumas (where I'd charge overnight at the Hampton Inn), then to Trinidad. I took Reddy's counsel that Ardmore to Childress would be less problematic than Denton to Childress and was glad I did, The weather conditions were quite bad for EV battery range: it was about 10=15 degrees plus a strong North wind throughout the time I was in Texas (1st day and a half), and with blowing snow part of the second day.

I had to spend an hour in Ardmore to fill up at the supercharger. It may have been more efficient to have driven slower to Ardmore and spend less time filling up, but I was just starting out and didn't know any better. Anyway I ate at the restaurant where the supercharger was, Classic Interurban Grill. The service was great and the food probably could have been worse,

I made Ardmore to Childress but not without serious range anxiety. Had to keep the cruise control set mostly between 55 and 61. I drove without heat as much as possible (in 15 degree weather!), may have drafted behind a truck for a while, and made it to Childress with 5% of the battery left (which is about 10 RM I guess). I had to charge about 70 minutes in Childress. (The computer said I could get away with 20 minutes less charging but given the weather conditions and my experience thus far, I wanted to play it as safe as possible.

When I plugged Dumas in as my next destination, the computer predicted I'd get there with about 7% of the battery as I recall. I considered going out of my way to hit the Amarillo supercharger instead of routing around Amarillo and going directly to Dumas. But as I drove--again 15-20 mph below the speed limit, heat mostly off, drafting behind trucks more than before--the remaining battery prediction held steady or got marginally better. And it was already way later than I'd expected and a huge blizzard was moving into the Panhandle. So I went straight to Dumas and arrived with the predicted 7% or about 14RM left.

It was snowing pretty hard by the time I checked into the Hampton Inn around 9:30 pm. After I settled in, I checked my app and saw my car was only charging about 13 mph and at that rate would need to stay plugged in at the hotel until noon the next day. I went outside and sure enough, a Model 3 had arrived after me and had plugged into the same charging station as me, instead of using an available one that would not be shared. So I moved my car to the other station which was not easy because the parking lot by now was covered in so much ice and snow that I nearly got stuck trying to move my car. Fortunately the charge rate doubled after I located to the empty station so I got my full charge overnight.

The second day was the worst. I avoided leaving the Hampton until 9:30 or so to be sure the roads were cleared. Snow was still coming down and there was ice on the sides of the road. I set the cruise at 55 mph. The computer predicted I could reach Trinidad with 5% battery at first, but moved down a percent or two on my way to Dalhart. I decided to stop at the public Dalhart RV Park Reddy had mentioned and even given me directions to in a post. But instead of reading his directions carefully, I navigated to "Dalhart RV Park." Bad mistake. I was directed to a private park several miles from where I should have turned off for the public one. I wasted 15-20 minutes there trying to get a charging station to work before figuring out I was at the wrong place. It is a private RV park with no one onsite.

So I got back on the road planning to charge in Clayton at Coyote Keeth's which was mentioned favorably as having 50 volt chargers for a $10 usage fee. Just to be sure, I called them on my way. I was told the fee was $15, and just put the money in the envelope and plug in. But Coyote Keeth's was a fiasco. After I paid my $15 and plugged into an empty charger, I was getting no more than 10 RM per hour. Plus my dash gave me an error message stating my charging cable was unlatched and to fully insert cable into the car. WTF? The cable was inserted properly and locked in. I moved to another station, same result. I called Tesla and after a long time on hold reached a rep who had me try several ineffective troubleshooting ideas. Basically she had no idea what was going on and reminded me that Tesla wasn't responsible for 3rd party chargers. I called the Coyote Keeth woman again who could only tell me that different EV cars charged at different rates. All in all I wasted between 30-60 minutes before moving on.

I should note that my feet got so cold both days that I needed to alternately take one shoe off and massage my toes to get feeling back in them. Turning the heat up full blast on my feet wasn't enough. Ah, the joy of a road trip in a luxury vehicle.

By now, the computer told me to slow to under 50 mph and I could make Trinidad with 3% battery left. I used the PlugShare app to locate my next option, Capulin Camp & RV Park. That place was closed for the winter apparently. No one around. So I consulted PlugShare again and proceeded to the Raton KOA.

Bingo! Great place. The couple who ran the place were great. The gentleman actually walked me over to the station and plugged me in, and the lady gave me tea and a comfortable room in which to wait (their internet didn't work though). Their 50v station worked properly and charged me at 24RM/hr. Charged for an hour and a half. I didn't know how much battery Raton Pass would drain and again I didn't want to take any chances. I'd stopped at McDonald's on way into Raton and ate my lunch at the KOA. There are better dining options across from the KOA, fyi. I highly recommend Raton KOA.

By then the storm had passed and there was even some sunshine though temps were still in the mid-teens. Raton Pass was a breeze. I charged over an hour in Trinidad Again, the computer said I could reach the next supercharger in Poncha Springs with less charging but I didn't want to chance it. By the time I left Trinidad it was 5:45 pm and I still had to cross Monarch. The trip to Poncha Springs was mostly uneventful (except for a small stretch of road that was completely covered in ice and snow to connect me from I 25 to Hwy 69 just past Walsenberg).

The Poncha Springs supercharger is not connected to or near any restaurant, convenience store, etc., so I sat in the car while charging another hour or so and then backtracked to Salida and checked into a motel for the night. By then it was after 10 pm. Luckily for me I hit Monarch in between two major storms and the pass was sunny and clear when I crossed it and drove on to Crested Butte the next morning. Very glad I did not need to use the "snow socks" I'd purchased in case chains or equivalent were required to cross Monarch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RWU7QK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been here over 2 weeks. Great snow and great skiing and the temps have warmed so I expect a much easier journey back to Dallas when I leave (unless another major storm hits, of course). Thanks again to Reddy and others who contributed to this thread. Praying for installation of superchargers in Wichita Falls and Clayton (and warmer weather) before I do this again.

Last edited:
I've delayed posting on my trip from Dallas to Crested Butte (It's taken this long to get over the trauma, lol)

My plan was to drive from Dallas to Ardmore to Childress to Dumas (where I'd charge overnight at the Hampton Inn), then to Trinidad. I took Reddy's counsel that Ardmore to Childress would be less problematic than Denton to Childress and was glad I did, The weather conditions were quite bad for EV battery range: it was about 10=15 degrees plus a strong North wind throughout the time I was in Texas (1st day and a half), and with blowing snow part of the second day.

I had to spend an hour in Ardmore to fill up at the supercharger. It may have been more efficient to have driven slower to Ardmore and spend less time filling up, but I was just starting out and didn't know any better. Anyway I ate at the restaurant where the supercharger was, Classic Interurban Grill. The service was great and the food probably could have been worse,

I made Ardmore to Childress but not without serious range anxiety. Had to keep the cruise control set mostly between 55 and 61. I drove without heat as much as possible (in 15 degree weather!), may have drafted behind a truck for a while, and made it to Childress with 5% of the battery left (which is about 10 RM I guess). I had to charge about 70 minutes in Childress. (The computer said I could get away with 20 minutes less charging but given the weather conditions and my experience thus far, I wanted to play it as safe as possible.

When I plugged Dumas in as my next destination, the computer predicted I'd get there with about 7% of the battery as I recall. I considered going out of my way to hit the Amarillo supercharger instead of routing around Amarillo and going directly to Dumas. But as I drove--again 15-20 mph below the speed limit, heat mostly off, drafting behind trucks more than before--the remaining battery prediction held steady or got marginally better. And it was already way later than I'd expected and a huge blizzard was moving into the Panhandle. So I went straight to Dumas and arrived with the predicted 7% or about 14RM left.

It was snowing pretty hard by the time I checked into the Hampton Inn around 9:30 pm. After I settled in, I checked my app and saw my car was only charging about 13 mph and at that rate would need to stay plugged in at the hotel until noon the next day. I went outside and sure enough, a Model 3 had arrived after me and had plugged into the same charging station as me, instead of using an available one that would not be shared. So I moved my car to the other station which was not easy because the parking lot by now was covered in so much ice and snow that I nearly got stuck trying to move my car. Fortunately the charge rate doubled after I located to the empty station so I got my full charge overnight.

The second day was the worst. I avoided leaving the Hampton until 9:30 or so to be sure the roads were cleared. Snow was still coming down and there was ice on the sides of the road. I set the cruise at 55 mph. The computer predicted I could reach Trinidad with 5% battery at first, but moved down a percent or two on my way to Dalhart. I decided to stop at the public Dalhart RV Park Reddy had mentioned and even given me directions to in a post. But instead of reading his directions carefully, I navigated to "Dalhart RV Park." Bad mistake. I was directed to a private park several miles from where I should have turned off for the public one. I wasted 15-20 minutes there trying to get a charging station to work before figuring out I was at the wrong place. It is a private RV park with no one onsite.

So I got back on the road planning to charge in Clayton at Coyote Keeth's which was mentioned favorably as having 50 volt chargers for a $10 usage fee. Just to be sure, I called them on my way. I was told the fee was $15, and just put the money in the envelope and plug in. But Coyote Keeth's was a fiasco. After I paid my $15 and plugged into an empty charger, I was getting no more than 10 RM per hour. Plus my dash gave me an error message stating my charging cable was unlatched and to fully insert cable into the car. WTF? The cable was inserted properly and locked in. I moved to another station, same result. I called Tesla and after a long time on hold reached a rep who had me try several ineffective troubleshooting ideas. Basically she had no idea what was going on and reminded me that Tesla wasn't responsible for 3rd party chargers. I called the Coyote Keeth woman again who could only tell me that different EV cars charged at different rates. All in all I wasted between 30-60 minutes before moving on.

I should note that my feet got so cold both days that I needed to alternately take one shoe off and massage my toes to get feeling back in them. Turning the heat up full blast on my feet wasn't enough. Ah, the joy of a road trip in a luxury vehicle.

By now, the computer told me to slow to under 50 mph and I could make Trinidad with 3% battery left. I used the PlugShare app to locate my next option, Capulin Camp & RV Park. That place was closed for the winter apparently. No one around. So I consulted PlugShare again and proceeded to the Raton KOA.

Bingo! Great place. The couple who ran the place were great. The gentleman actually walked me over to the station and plugged me in, and the lady gave me tea and a comfortable room in which to wait (their internet didn't work though). Their 50v station worked properly and charged me at 24RM/hr. Charged for an hour and a half. I didn't know how much battery Raton Pass would drain and again I didn't want to take any chances. I'd stopped at McDonald's on way into Raton and ate my lunch at the KOA. There are better dining options across from the KOA, fyi. I highly recommend Raton KOA.

By then the storm had passed and there was even some sunshine though temps were still in the mid-teens. Raton Pass was a breeze. I charged over an hour in Trinidad Again, the computer said I could reach the next supercharger in Poncha Springs with less charging but I didn't want to chance it. By the time I left Trinidad it was 5:45 pm and I still had to cross Monarch. The trip to Poncha Springs was mostly uneventful (except for a small stretch of road that was completely covered in ice and snow to connect me from I 25 to Hwy 69 just past Walsenberg).

The Poncha Springs supercharger is not connected to or near any restaurant, convenience store, etc., so I sat in the car while charging another hour or so and then backtracked to Salida and checked into a motel for the night. By then it was after 10 pm. Luckily for me I hit Monarch in between two major storms and the pass was sunny and clear when I crossed it and drove on to Crested Butte the next morning. Very glad I did not need to use the "snow socks" I'd purchased in case chains or equivalent were required to cross Monarch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RWU7QK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been here over 2 weeks. Great snow and great skiing and the temps have warmed so I expect a much easier journey back to Dallas when I leave (unless another major storm hits, of course). Thanks again to Reddy and others who contributed to this thread. Praying for installation of superchargers in Wichita Falls and Clayton (and warmer weather) before I do this again.
Oy, quite the journey! Glad you survived, sorry it was so painful. Sounds like you coulda used those snow socks on your feet! :)

If there's a lesson to be learned, I would take it as: don't skip any Superchargers in that kind of adverse weather. You need to make that Amarillo SC on the way back. But since you'll be losing elevation like crazy, you should be fine.

Nice tip about Raton KOA. Thanks.

If there's a lesson to be learned, I would take it as: don't skip any Superchargers in that kind of adverse weather. You need to make that Amarillo SC on the way back.

I don't really regret skipping Amarillo SC and don't plan to stop there on my way to Childress from Dumas (after charging full up at the Hampton Inn). The computer's prediction that I could make it with at least 7% remaining battery was accurate even in the most adverse conditions, so I should be fine going from Dumas to Childress which is only 160 miles. (OTOH, if I did stop in Amarillo, I could have driven faster and with heat; heat hopefully won't be an issue on the return).

My issue on the return is whether I might fill completely in Childress, skip Ardmore and go directly to Denton (208 miles). I think I'll start out with that as the plan and see how the computer is acting when I get to the cutoff I'd take for Ardmore, just past Vernon. Also, per PlugShare as of 6 days ago, the Vernon Hampton Inn destination charger is working so I could charge 30-60 minutes there or at the Rocking A and still come out ahead vs.the detour to Amarillo. And there are also a couple of other RV park charging options in Wichita Falls and Bowie I plan to scope out before leaving to be sure they're still viable.

I don't really regret skipping Amarillo SC and don't plan to stop there on my way to Childress from Dumas (after charging full up at the Hampton Inn). The computer's prediction that I could make it with at least 7% remaining battery was accurate even in the most adverse conditions, so I should be fine going from Dumas to Childress which is only 160 miles. (OTOH, if I did stop in Amarillo, I could have driven faster and with heat; heat hopefully won't be an issue on the return).

My issue on the return is whether I might fill completely in Childress, skip Ardmore and go directly to Denton (208 miles). I think I'll start out with that as the plan and see how the computer is acting when I get to the cutoff I'd take for Ardmore, just past Vernon. Also, per PlugShare as of 6 days ago, the Vernon Hampton Inn destination charger is working so I could charge 30-60 minutes there or at the Rocking A and still come out ahead vs.the detour to Amarillo. And there are also a couple of other RV park charging options in Wichita Falls and Bowie I plan to scope out before leaving to be sure they're still viable.
Um, Hampton Inn won't let you just pull in and charge for a few minutes.. The DC is for paying guests only.

Recent PlugShare post says non-guests can use it for $10. I'll call ahead to the various options beforehand to see which ones are viable.

Carl,

This sounds like it was quite an ordeal on the way out to Colorado. Yet another example of why we need a Wichita Falls supercharger.

FWIW, my wife just picked up her Model 3 SR Plus this weekend in Dallas. We drove all over, to Temple, then Southlake, then to Vernon Hampton Inn.

The chargers were both working fine there at Vernon , at 200 volts and 32 amps for the Tesla charger.

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you return in the summer, it will go a whole lot easier.

Tesla, if you are monitoring this thread, PLEASE prioritize a supercharger installation somewhere between Trinidad, CO and Amarillo, TX. There are many, many of us Texans that go to Colorado in summers and winters and this is the preferred route for many of us. There has been a supercharger listed as "coming soon" in Clayton, NM for a long, long time. Clayton would be an excellent location.

@reddy thanks for making this thread and the info! and @CarlW thanks for your info as well!

Maybe both of you could help me out with my trip. I've only done small ones to Waco and back to the DFW area, so this holiday trip in December is my first big one! I'm nervous as it's winter time and I don't want to look like a dumbass because my wife's side is ult-conservative and don't want to give EVs a bad impression. We are taking a family trip the week after Christmas this year from the DFW area to somewhere around Pagosa Springs, CO. I've asked around other places if I can do it in my Model 3 and was told I could, but we never talked about range issues.

I have a MR 3 that is supposed to get 264 100% charged, but it seems to only get 255.

@reddy What are the temps like along this route the last week of the year? I know the battery range drops in cold weather, just don't know how much to anticipate and any other sound advice is much appreciated. :)

I'll be charging in Clayton at the RV park on 07/03/2019 and will look to see if they've started building the supercharger. Hopefully, they've started since I go to Austin twice a year but usually use my ICE vehicle. It'll be my first trip since getting my M3 a couple of months ago I'm nervous, but I've planned every stop and have backups just in case. Taking a completely different route back to make sure there are no issues.

Reactions: reddy and Dr. J
I made the Trinidad to Amarillo run on Sunday in my LR RWD Model 3. Left Trinidad with 286 miles range indicating; arrived in Amarillo with 68 miles remaining. Three adults plus luggage in the car. I held speed between 68-70 mph. Little headwind and temps were in the 70s to 80s, with mostly cloudy skies and thunderstorms near the front range. In July! Very unusual weather for this time of year.

In colder weather or with strong headwinds I might rethink this route. As it was, on the way up to Colorado we went from Amarillo to Santa Rosa to Trinidad. It adds some time and miles to the trip, but the stretch of road from I-40 to I-25, just west of Santa Rosa, has wonderful scenery, especially closer to the Las Vegas, NM side. The ride on I-25 to Trinidad is also very nice.

If Tesla ever follows through on the proposed Clayton, NM supercharger, then the former route above becomes a cakewalk for all Teslas year round.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J and ggies07
I have a LR M3, Dalls to Trinidad via the non-supercharger shortcut. Ran into a HUGE rainstorm that kinda sapped my battery. I was VERY afraid I could not reach Trinidad, CO. I stopped at the Dalhart, TX RV park for a little security charge. This was only a few days ago. There was already a red M3 there charging. Each charging stand has your choice of 110 V, 30 amp, or 50 amp (14-50) plugs. I plugged in with a 14-50, (NOTE: Tesla no longer supplies a 14-50 adapter with new cars). I flipped the breaker switch, and voila! Charged for about an hour. Coming from Dallas in my M3, That hour charging restored my confidence tremendously! Thanks, City of Dalhart!!

• Helpful
Reactions: ggies07 and Dr. J
As a warning to those also looking to charge at RV parks, the 30A is a NEMA TT-30 receptacle not a 10-30 or 14-30. Be sure you have the correct adapters if you want to use it. For TT-30, you'll have to find a 3rd party one because Tesla doesn't currently offer them.
Also realize your charge rate will only be about twice that of a regular 120v wall outlet.

I am going to be heading from Fort Worth to Denver in a LR RWD 3 in 2 weeks. Subscribing to this thread so I can review if there is anything I need to worry about. It seems tough for any other car than mine, but hopefully should be fine. Fort Worth to Childress and Amarillo to Trinidad seem like I will just have to watch my driving habits.

Reactions: rafacq