Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla is upgrading computer because of games. The games they have are very basic and don't need much CPU power anyway. I think they need more processing power for their Neuralink.
You are joking right. Neuralink is long long ways off. They probably will do their first human trials this year. There is no way that tesla will plan or even know what neuralink will require at this stage.

I thought folks were being neurotic on the drop in range. This seems like a blunder on Tesla’s part to choose this chip. Why rush to a more power hungry chip these days. Unless there was a chip shortage issue.

They should have changed to an Apple M1 and gained 20 miles range ;)
I wish they can get rid of the screen, instead, it takes an ipad pro. so we will never run out of power.

You are joking right. Neuralink is long long ways off. They probably will do their first human trials this year. There is no way that tesla will plan or even know what neuralink will require at this stage.
I meant whatever they call program that analyzes camera images for Autopilot or FSD.
1642438276242.png

Last edited:
I think you are wrong. The older Tesla computers don't perform as well as new ones even when running the same version and some new features don't work on old generations and require upgrade.
The FSD computer is a separate module, which can sometimes be upgraded, that's dedicated to running the neural net. The MCU just runs the display. The connection between the two is that the MCU generates the user visualization that is a human friendly representation of a small part the neural net world view. So far there's no indication that the MCU can be upgraded.

I believe the FSD computer upgrade (if the vehicle can accept an upgrade) is included with an FSD license.

The FSD computer is a separate module, which can sometimes be upgraded, that's dedicated to running the neural net. The MCU just runs the display. The connection between the two is that the MCU generates the user visualization that is a human friendly representation of a small part the neural net world view. So far there's no indication that the MCU can be upgraded.

I believe the FSD computer upgrade (if the vehicle can accept an upgrade) is included with an FSD license.
I did a little search and you appear to be right. Other sites also are saying that FSD computer doesn't utilize MCU. I would think that offloading some tasks to more powerful cpu/gpu would help to improve FSD performance but it may not be the way Tesla does it.
I would still sacrifice few miles for faster MCU. It helps with overall responsiveness, navigation etc.

I'm awaiting a Jan-Feb delivery, and I'm not impressed by this. I'm not a gamer, I don't want FSD, but I do want range. 3.5% of 82KWH is a hell of a lot of power to be sacrificing to a chip.
It is very unlikely that a switch to the AMD results in 3.5% hit in battery life. That works out to over 400W power consumption when desktop Ryzen parts have less than 100W TDPs. There is no way the Ryzen CPU + GPU is consuming that much more power. If I had to guess, they needed to update the way they do their mileage calcs in Australia and that resulted in most of this change. I can see AMD switch having some impact, but just not that large of one.

Reactions: Rydyl and Y_4_speed