Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an October 2021 build Model 3. Turn signal stalk seemed the same on the cars I test drove, as best I can remember. I was hoping I'd get used to it and I sort of have but I still don't like it.

It's different than the turn stalk on any other car I've owned. All the rest, including my old Model S, have distinct stalk positions for left, none/cancel, right. You can tell by feel what it's set to, and you can feel it click between each position. Whereas in the 3 I often have to glance at my screen to check if my signal is still on, and then I undershoot or overshoot trying to cancel it because there's zero feeling of what the right movement is for a cancel, and then I need to check the screen again to see what happened (undershoot, overshoot, or correctly cancelled).

I still like driving the car very much but this little aspect really could and should be better. Like the yoke, it's a case of making an input worse than the standard way it's been done for decades in most other cars.
I'm sorry but unless there's a defect with your particular stalk, there's nothing difficult or unusual about how it functions. It's easy to discern the difference between 3 blink and full on. No, it's not a fully mechanical detent like a car from the 80's.... but is more than adequate.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
You can move the stalk in the same direction to cancel! It bothered me at first to cancel, but then I realized this method.
I've read that and tried it but it didn't work consistently. I'll try it again.
I'm sorry but unless there's a defect with your particular stalk, there's nothing difficult or unusual about how it functions. It's easy to discern the difference between 3 blink and full on. No, it's not a fully mechanical detent like a car from the 80's.... but is more than adequate.
3 blink isn't the problem, I don't use it but it's easy to just push the stalk all the way when I want to signal. It's cancelling a signal - without signaling the other direction - that's annoying.

I wouldn't mind trying swapping out my wheel for the yoke. But it's a bit pricey right now with parts, let alone labor for something I'm not sure I would want to keep. That said even with the concerns about airbag I could prob do the swap myself. If I did I would want to replace my plastic scroll wheels with the metal ones as well while everything is out.

I don’t, I just pointed out that we don’t know that yoke pushed many buyers away.
For the record, the new primary controls (craptics, on-screen ‘shifting’, wandering turn signals & horn button, and yoke) are literally the only reason I haven’t bought a new S. And if a certifiable Tesla fanatic and stock holder like me with over 150,000 Tesla-grin miles, and double-digit referrals won’t buy a new S because of the new controls, the controls are the problem. Full stop.

For the record, the new primary controls (craptics, on-screen ‘shifting’, wandering turn signals & horn button, and yoke) are literally the only reason I haven’t bought a new S. And if a certifiable Tesla fanatic and stock holder like me with over 150,000 Tesla-grin miles, and double-digit referrals won’t buy a new S because of the new controls, the controls are the problem. Full stop.
I agree you’re a fanatic.

Sorry if this was mentioned already but as I have not gone through the 20 pages here.

The S was never an interest to me until I saw the new interior design. The yoke sealed the "I gotta get me one of those" decision. So you see there are people that are attracted and the yoke helped Tesla make the sale. I guess my argument to those that say they lost sales because of the yoke is how many people bought the car because of the yoke. In my case I can say it definitely was a big persuasion for me to buy one. I can honestly say I may not have purchased one if it had a regular steering wheel.

Sorry if this was mentioned already but as I have not gone through the 20 pages here.

The S was never an interest to me until I saw the new interior design. The yoke sealed the "I gotta get me one of those" decision. So you see there are people that are attracted and the yoke helped Tesla make the sale. I guess my argument to those that say they lost sales because of the yoke is how many people bought the car because of the yoke. In my case I can say it definitely was a big persuasion for me to buy one. I can honestly say I may not have purchased one if it had a regular steering wheel.
That doesn't counter my argument, because I never suggested that they shouldn't have offered a yoke. My argument was that since they already had a full wheel developed and working, why not offer it as an option. As you see in the responses, there are plenty of lost buyers because of this, it makes no sense.

That doesn't counter my argument, because I never suggested that they shouldn't have offered a yoke. My argument was that since they already had a full wheel developed and working, why not offer it as an option. As you see in the responses, there are plenty of lost buyers because of this, it makes no sense.
It's clear since it's an option on your build details for "Yoke Steering" that they will offer a choice eventually if they ever have enough batteries and production capacity to keep up with demand. Until then, it makes 100% sense not to complicate their inventory with yet another choice. I'm sorry they didn't prioritize the car you wanted over the car they built. I'm also pissed that they didn't sell me the Plaid+ that I put a deposit down for on Battery Day, but I'm not in a bunch of threads bitching about it constantly. :)

It's clear since it's an option on your build details for "Yoke Steering" that they will offer a choice eventually if they ever have enough batteries and production capacity to keep up with demand. Until then, it makes 100% sense not to complicate their inventory with yet another choice. I'm sorry they didn't prioritize the car you wanted over the car they built. I'm also pissed that they didn't sell me the Plaid+ that I put a deposit down for on Battery Day, but I'm not in a bunch of threads bitching about it constantly. :)
Sorry to hurt your fanboy feelings, I'll make sure I say nothing but positive things about Elon and Tesla. This forum will be great then.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

There is no doubt that the yoke looks cool. Though if everyone else switches to yokes that will soon evaporate (“cool” is always something that is in some way exclusive). What makes it so devisive is the practicality .. and some people are prepared to put up with very impractocal things for coolness (think almost all supercars). Certainly a lot of the reviews have highlighted both the coolness and the impracticality, so it all comes down to personal choice (like most things in life). As long as it doesn’t turn out to be a big safety issue and impact others.

Last edited:
Well you better start getting used to a yoke because others are starting to follow suit. Found at least 3 but I bet you this is going to get popular. I am pretty sure they will not offer it in conventional steering wheel or yoke.

2023 Lexus RZ Will Offer Yoke-Style Steering Wheel in the U.S.

I will get used to the push button turn signals, not that I like them. Years ago when I had my BMW 650i, I purchase Active Steering which is great when you tried to get out of the way of something quickly, like a trash can in the middle of your lane. I hope Tesla would implement that on the existing yoke steering. I had to change our of my Sport steering effort mode so that I get less resistance when I am making a sharper turn.

But bitching is therapeutical. It’s your choice to be evolved or not. 😉

Tesla can get more than $100k from me immediately without offering stalks and a round wheel as a build-to-order option: all they’d need do is update the Model S software with the Model 3/Y software that recognizes the stalks and wheel—I’d order a new Model S, stalks, shrouds, and a wheel tomorrow. The swap would take me less than 45 minutes; others could hire literally any auto mechanic; everyone would be happy. It would be less work for Tesla than their most recent software update that allows more bottom bar customization, but predictably, still has not enabled the center horn they’ve built into the yoke for at least six months.