Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An MCU1 to MCU2 Upgrade might be REALLY worth it

Would you upgrade to MCU2?

• Yes - There's a lot of value there

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • No - It doesn't matter

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • No - I don't care

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, they showed me at shop. I did not ask for it. I did not know there was a difference. I thought they would replace with same thing. Not sure why they put in mcu2. Even shows on repair form I got. Why would they do that?

I guess easiest way to tell is if u have beach buggies game if u to for sure mcu2

What version are you running? You probably do have it. Check your settings.

If not I would connect the car to Wifi. If that doesn't work call customer service I guess. There's probably a reason why you're stuck since pretty much the rest of the fleet has NOA.

I have version 2019.24.4 on my P100DL w/ FSD. I connected it to wifi and it still doesn't have navigate on autopilot. Compared to our model 3 and X75 MCU2 car the screen responsiveness is just plain out horrible. I guess people who were on the old system and never upgraded to a new MCU car dont see the difference, but going from MCU2 to MCU1 almost feels unusable. Scrolling to music streaming recents results in severe lag and mis touches. Love the car but really hope they upgrade it to the new MCU2 or can clear data/cache to speed things up.

We're likely going to see an increasing number of features that will only operate on MCU2 - due to the different processor architecture (some of the arcade games) and higher performance (video streaming).

We purchased FSD on our 2017 S 100D. When Tesla provides the promised HW3 processor upgrade, would seriously consider paying extra to also do an MCU2 upgrade at the same time, and bring the vehicle up to the same level as our 2018 X 100D.

Reactions: bollar and arcus
I currently have a 2013 Model S with 135k miles...that is completely undriveable due to MCU failure. I want to get the upgraded MCU...not pay $2100 for what I just had fail.

My car is really really showing been giving me a lot of problems (stranded twice in 12 months) and a new MCU would keep me in the Tesla Family...otherwise I just feel like the car needs to go.

Any idea who I can talk to @ Tesla to get the new MCU?

I currently have a 2013 Model S with 135k miles...that is completely undriveable due to MCU failure. I want to get the upgraded MCU...not pay $2100 for what I just had fail.

My car is really really showing been giving me a lot of problems (stranded twice in 12 months) and a new MCU would keep me in the Tesla Family...otherwise I just feel like the car needs to go.

Elon -- he's the only one saying it will be done. Service centers say no.

Elon -- he's the only one saying it will be done. Service centers say no.

There is increasing stories of this happening to older cars and people are starting to form business offerings to handle this specific issue.

I know Tesla has a lot going on right now - but when peoples perfectly fine cars won't drive due to a cheap memory stick with an almost designed to fail (as used) system built-in... I can't begin to think about making our second car a Tesla when I contemplate this kind of failure rendering the car not drive-able.

Reactions: hpartsch
There is increasing stories of this happening to older cars and people are starting to form business offerings to handle this specific issue.

I know Tesla has a lot going on right now - but when peoples perfectly fine cars won't drive due to a cheap memory stick with an almost designed to fail (as used) system built-in... I can't begin to think about making our second car a Tesla when I contemplate this kind of failure rendering the car not drive-able.
My MCU just died a few months ago also. I totally agree - hence why I submitted a NHTSA complaint and would encourage you to consider doing such if you feel it is a defect that impairs safety.

Curious what made your car inoperable the first time? I guess I was lucky mine still drove with the failed MCU -- though I drove it right up to the Service Center.

My MCU just died a few months ago also. I totally agree - hence why I submitted a NHTSA complaint and would encourage you to consider doing such if you feel it is a defect that impairs safety.

Curious what made your car inoperable the first time? I guess I was lucky mine still drove with the failed MCU -- though I drove it right up to the Service Center.

What happened when yours failed? Just a black screen?

I agree, $2100 isn't bad for a first major failure at 135,000 miles. But heck I want to replace it with a part that is superior; not a legacy part with a known early failure issue.

Well, it slowly started having symptoms over about 1 year (restarts while driving/funky alien texts). Then one day at work it took 20 minutes for the car to turn on. Then on the way home from work (next day), the screen kept trying to restart showing the test T and it it never came back.