Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An Update to Our Supercharging Program

Frankly two thumbs up to Tesla on this announcement. There is no way the supercharger network would have scaled under the current system. Also, they are not breaking any promises to existing owners.

Now build out that network like hell and in fact open it up to other EVs for a profit. Go Tesla.

This supercharger announcement was inevitable but I think Tesla just increased the resale value of all our "legacy" cars. I will keep mine as long as possible!

Agree! My "classic" AP 1.0 car will at least have free supercharging forever :)

This will also likely lead to a HUGE Q4 as everyone tries to get in on the last "free" supercharging cars...

Good compromise giving the 400kwh annually too for ppl that only do a few trips a year.
Good long term revenue stream for Tesla.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is not even an option for unlimited Supercharging after Jan 1.
Leaves me in a weird place with a classic S, planning to get a 3 with AP2, would I take the S on the trip for free, or kick back with AP2 and pay for charging?

Also kudos to Tesla for giving advance notice of this change for ppl ordering in the coming months.

Reactions: Jaff
This news is great. We just took delivery of my wife's model X a few weeks ago and was concerned a little concerned with the AP2 announcement I was also wondering about the strain the M3 will have on the network. This announcement addresses my concerns as well as makes me happy that we purchased our vehicles now. Since we are trying to keep theses vehicles for a minimum of 8 years I am confident that we will get great use from them.

This was needed, one question will unlimited go with the vehicle or the owner? Clearly it is setup based on vehicle order date and or delivery but for those of us who are here already I would very much like it if I replace the S in the future with a Tesla vehicle to be grandfathered in. We keep on being told how we are paying for all the model 3's, etc...