Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlimited Super Charging is built into the price of current Teslas. I wonder if this means that cars ordered in 2017 without unlimited free super charging will cost less as the cost of unlimited free super charging could then be deducted from the cost? Or more likely, will this cost saving for Tesla be wrapped into higher margins per vehicle sold because of a decrease in overhead over the lifetime of the vehicle to Tesla? I know this is not supposed to be profit move by Tesla, but a a cost savings move that is not passed on to the customer feels like a thinly veiled profit move. Regardless, the move makes sense with dramatic scaling of vehicles and cost of supporting that network while trying to keep the per vehicle cost down.

It sucks though for the owners that have no other charging options, which we know are out there, even if it's just a few.

Although, if they had "other charging options", they would be paying for electricity at home or work anyway. This still allows someone without home charging to own a Tesla, but does eliminate the free ride and help control congestion at busy urban superchargers.

There is never a bad time to buy a Tesla. They are constantly making small changes and often people want to "wait" for the next thing but Tesla takes care of it's owners and will do so in the future while continuing to innovate and come out with new things right away instead of waiting for the next model year after a bunch of marketing crap.(sorry for run on). This is great for existing owners and I am happy for them.

From the blog:
"Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car"

So yeah, it will cost about 50c less than filling up a Bugati Veyron...

For the gas savings estimate on the design studio Tesla uses 21 mpg as the efficiency of a comparable vehicle (and they list a Mercedes S550 as an example) and $2.70 per gallon average for premium gas over the next 5 years. Using those numbers we can assume in the US at least the cost will be less than $0.32 per kWh. My guess would be $0.25.

This is an excellent move because:
  • It allows Tesla to open paid city Superchargers. In many places around the world, people can't charge at home or at work.
  • Free supercharging was encouraging commercial use. For example, forum members from Hong-Kong are reporting that 30% of all Teslas there are Uber drivers and all the superchargers are always crowded with them.
  • The new system is fairer. Currently, a heavy user and an occasional user pay the same price.
  • The new system will also enable idle fees. This feature was in the leaked web pages a few months ago. Some people, especially near hotels, are leaving their cars parked at superchargers overnight. Some are leaving their cars plugged in for hours until they come back from the shopping center. Idle fees will solve these problems.

Last edited:
An Update to Our Supercharging Program

"The Road Ahead
Just as you would charge your cell phone, we believe the best way to charge your car is either at home or at work, during the hours you’re not using it."

I'm hoping this announcement -- coupled with (fingers crossed) the SolarCity acquisition, new solar roof products, new PowerWall 2 -- will accelerate anyone who might have been on the fence about the entire Tesla suite of products.

Kudos --- spur demand for residential solar roof and energy storage.

Not sure it does suck. It may mean that Tesla will have the funds to build the required charging infrastructure in areas of high demand.
I did not say it sucks in general, just for the few owners who are not able to charge at home.
In general I welcome the idea as I know from others in more "Tesla congested" areas, it has become a problem.
And again, I think 400 kWh is a bit stingy, as someone else mentioned.

Last edited:
400kWh hours is very small to support long distance trips. A 1000 mile road trip is 4-day weekend!

If Tesla needs to stop abuse of local supercharging, & I agree they SHOULD, geo-fence the owners home, and only permit free supercharging OUTSIDE of a 200 mile radius.

Some people will game that approach. Register the car at mom's, charge for free near home. Tesla can't design a policy where they become de facto electrical usage police. The policy has to be simple and entirely objective.

Pretty classy. The 400 kWh won't please everyone but then again free delivery of cheesecake and a shoulder massage during Supercharging wouldn't please everyone. But, it would have taken care of my annual Supercharging needs to date. I assume they aren't going to charge a fee to enable the built-in Supercharging hardware, and the language of the post ("all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel") goes almost all the way to saying it outright. But it leaves just enough wiggle-room that devoted naysayers will find a way to convince themselves that even though the hardware is included and the first 400 kWh are free, Tesla is going to require payment to enable the hardware to consume those 400 free kWh.

I don't believe it for a second, but you wait and see, someone will propose it with a straight face. It would be nice if Tesla updated the post to rule it out definitively.