Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm being bitchy and pouty this morning after a very long weekend. Could someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

I've chosen at least four long road trips in lieu of flying the past year and a half and I've very much enjoyed it. Charging me to use the supercharger network makes me sad that I won't be able to justify this in the future. Not to mention, I drive a lot for business to towns ~2-4 hours away and have to charge there. This doesn't make sense to me.

I'm trying to figure out how this isn't another "say one thing then do another with no regard for the customer" that I'm so used to from Tesla.
Unless you sell your car and buy another one after the new year it will have now effect on you.

I'm being bitchy and pouty this morning after a very long weekend. Could someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

I've chosen at least four long road trips in lieu of flying the past year and a half and I've very much enjoyed it. Charging me to use the supercharger network makes me sad that I won't be able to justify this in the future. Not to mention, I drive a lot for business to towns ~2-4 hours away and have to charge there. This doesn't make sense to me.

I'm trying to figure out how this isn't another "say one thing then do another with no regard for the customer" that I'm so used to from Tesla.

As long as you own your current car there is no restriction. The fact that there is a charge means the network can be built out further faster so that as a unlimited supercharger owner you can go more places without range anxiety. It also means that those that don't travel have a option of not having the cost built into the car. Nothing is free just built into the cost so if you upgrade then simply build it into the cost of the future car if you wish. It really is a net positive for current owners I think. It will also accelerate purchases going into the 4th quarter. Hmmm....that is the goal. Reach the 80-90K and deliver guidance.

Should have made it a time based fee to stop people from hogging stalls after the charge is completed.
Unnecessary complexity, and unenforceable anyway. If someone exceeds their allowed time, who is going to move their car?

Just the fact that there is a cost associated with Supercharging at a certain point is enough to stop most of the abuse we currently see. This policy change by Tesla is a smart move and is going to solve a serious problem at some locations.

That said, it isn't going to solve the problem right away. All the cars built up to the end of this year can potentially abuse the Supercharger network for the rest of their existence. The problem will only be resolved gradually and not until more new Supercharger locations come online near existing locations that are overcrowded.

As long as you own your current car there is no restriction. The fact that there is a charge means the network can be built out further faster so that as a unlimited supercharger owner you can go more places without range anxiety. It also means that those that don't travel have a option of not having the cost built into the car. Nothing is free just built into the cost so if you upgrade then simply build it into the cost of the future car if you wish. It really is a net positive for current owners I think. It will also accelerate purchases going into the 4th quarter. Hmmm....that is the goal. Reach the 80-90K and deliver guidance.

Not only will the private party resale of existing Model S/X's improve slightly, it will probably allow for quicker expansion of the SC network. And it could relax demand on certain SC locations near cities. Triple win for existing owners.

What do New Buyers get for their money? First they are buying into the best interstate DCFC system in place. And they are getting the same reduction in crowding at urban sites, and quicker expansion for their money.

People who originally paid for SC access, even though free, received less of a SC network than current buyers are getting for their money. Now they will reap the rewards of being an early adopter.

Reactions: NSX1992
So those who got a car pre-2017 are blessed with free eletricity.
Those who used to swaptheir car each year (the rich) won't have reason to complain too much, they spend $50 annually on their daily before maintenance and energy anyway.
Will people who are too late be left pissed they missed out on free SuC? Well, Tesla might dissuade the competition a bit by starting to let their customers benefit for the reduced cell production cost. The battery portion of the cars could become much cheaper. S60 could drop $5-10K, on top of eliminated free unlimited SuC. Upgrade to 75 could get cheaper also.
And the new 120kWh (or whatever it'll be) could simply replace the 100 for the same price. Losing the free unlimited SuC which for those who drive a lot, represents a good amount annually.
Really, once the 2170 cells are produced in numbers, the new 120 pack should cost Tesla well less than today's 100. So giving +20kWh for free would still net them a margin increase. And their margin on loaded cars is class leading already.

Does anyone know how will they distinguish between current Teslas vs Jan 1st onwards. I don't see any of that possible without changing the hardware on the car, sending its VIN to the system or any other way. Any thoughts?
The software in the car can already tell when and where you are Supercharging so it could be a completely software based solution.

Does anyone know how will they distinguish between current Teslas vs Jan 1st onwards. I don't see any of that possible without changing the hardware on the car, sending its VIN to the system or any other way. Any thoughts?
Tesla knows who you are when you connect. That is, they read the car's information. Try calling them from a Supercharger when there is a charging problem, and you will learn that they know what car it is and what stall it is. Not difficult.
The only difficult part is setting up the payment system. Hopefully they will use something familiar like what EasyPass does. Everyone gets an account, you link it to either a charge card or a checking account (or PayPal), and the account gets replenished automatically when the balance in it drops below a certain point -- say, $10. Today, Tesla's retail payment system at their stores and service centers is pretty crude, so I hope they don't try to reinvent the wheel -- using something tried and true would be smart.

I agree with the move and I think the free credits are nice. I bet a number of people will cancel their 3 orders once they learn.

I would love it if the free supercharging stayed with the car so if you say bought a CPO like I was going to do when my lease ends so likely even i bought out the lease I wouldn't get the free supercharging.

I agree with the move and I think the free credits are nice. I bet a number of people will cancel their 3 orders once they learn.

I would love it if the free supercharging stayed with the car so if you say bought a CPO like I was going to do when my lease ends so likely even i bought out the lease I wouldn't get the free supercharging.
Or better yet, free supercharging stays with 'current owners,' so if we roll into a new car, the free supercharging comes with us :) :)

I don't believe the resale will be affected. The notice does say "Current Owners" Thus what I read is that the Free forever is not transferable.
But it used to be. So would that now change? Can they change it for cars already sold under certain terms? Or did they SuC work after resale mostly due to the SuC not being setup to refuse the request, or offer a payment scheme?