Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1800 in electricity for 78,000 miles???

78000 * .31 = 24,180 kwh. 1800/24180 = 7.4 cents per kWh. Is that all you pay?
@jerry33 is in Texas. Energy is outrageously cheap there. In some cases, it's free.

The ROI on my solar array when I lived in Austin was 18 years. This, despite the 30% federal tax credit and an aggressive utility credit ($3.75/watt at the time). Mostly that was due to the very low cost of energy.

PG&E makes the PV investment a much clearer financial decision. :)

W
@jerry33 is in Texas. Energy is outrageously cheap there. In some cases, it's free.

The ROI on my solar array when I lived in Austin was 18 years. This, despite the 30% federal tax credit and an aggressive utility credit ($3.75/watt at the time). Mostly that was due to the very low cost of energy.

PG&E makes the PV investment a much clearer financial decision. :)
Well when I eventually own a home (condo now) that will be definitely factored into the solar decision :)

In a condo the $0.28 cents I pay is due to the fact I use condo common area power and evercharge which charges an additional markup. Evercharge is $15/mo for insurance and service but providing my own insurance on a station that would run to my meter woudl be twice as much plus a much higher initial installation cost. Luckily I can charge at work free at 120V (enough to cover my daily commute) so charging at home is really only necessary prior to leaving on a road trip.

If I had to do 100% of my charging at $0.28/kwh, that would be about as expensive as gas is right now...

• Helpful
Reactions: callmesam
Used 2012-2016 Tesla purchased next year......does the "new" owner gets the lifetime, free SC benefit transferred to them? Anyone? Bueller?

No one knows for certain, which makes it hard to get a definitive answer.

My belief is that Tesla will continue to honor the lifetime arrangements for the current cars after they change hands even if they would rather not.

Part of the reason for this is that doing anything else is rather complicated and error prone - if it became known that it wouldn't transfer, you might see folks making deals to keep the car under the current myTesla so it kept the lifetime charging even as they sold the car.

Reactions: jerry33 and KJD
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the blog says "For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits..."

Elon has said that there are nearly 400K orders for the Model 3- "We are now almost at 400,000 orders for the model 3," Elon Musk told a conference held in the Norwegian capital. He added that the interest in the model had "surprised even us".

So if you have a Model 3 'order', you should be getting free supercharging :) :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the blog says "For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits..."

Elon has said that there are nearly 400K orders for the Model 3- "We are now almost at 400,000 orders for the model 3," Elon Musk told a conference held in the Norwegian capital. He added that the interest in the model had "surprised even us".

So if you have a Model 3 'order', you should be getting free supercharging :) :)

No, keep reading. Somewhere in there it also says that in order to get unlimited supercharging you not only need to order by Jan. 1 you also need to take delivery by Apr. 1. I don't think any Model 3s will be delivered before Apr. 1, 2017...

Those are reservations, not orders.

Ah, I just noticed your second bolded word. Hmm. Sounds like he misspoke.

At 78,056 miles the Prius used $3,542.37 in gas. The Tesla at 78K miles would have used about $1,800 in electricity if it was always charged at home. This isn't going to match the Design Studio because that's compared to a 7 series or S class.
@jerry33 is in Texas. Energy is outrageously cheap there.
Don't forgot that you're talking about jerry33. Your ".31" is probably not accurate for him.

I realize you didn't ask me, but In the Phoenix suburbs, with SRP, the off-peak rate is about $0.073/kWh (varies by season). And they have an EV-owner plan where from 11pm to 5am I will only pay $0.0619/kWh, but the daily rate goes up a little which offsets some of that savings.

I've been using about 355wH/mi, which comes in at just over 2 cents/mile (even with charging not being 100% efficient, under 3 cents).

On topic for the SC program, I figure it's going to end up being like fuel - some states will cost more to SC than others. The question becomes, can Tesla negotiate better rates so that they aren't either charging peak rates to owners all day, or having to adjust the credits by time of day?

Don't forgot that you're talking about jerry33. Your ".31" is probably not accurate for him.
I divide the kWh on the trip screen (never reset) by 10. Electricity is 9.3 but charging isn't 100% efficient and the calculation doesn't include Supercharging. Dividing by ten is close enough for government work. So at the time I'd used about 18,000 kWh.

Wait, did I miss something? I thought EM was always very clear that Model 3's do not get free supercharging. Lately, though, he said M3 gets gets free long distance supercharging.
Links?
It was to be SC enabled. And it is.
To get 400kWh for free every year for the life of the car is a heck of a lot more than pretty much anyone but the most unworldly fangirls expects. When do you expect your Model 3 to be scrapped? Delivered 2017, scrapped 2032? Seems a short life for a good car. Still, 6000kWh of free energy, delivered to you while you're on the go. Depending of location on Earth, this can easily be worth $2000-3000. In today's money. And let's not pretend electricity will be as uncool and cheap in 2032. Look at drinking water trends. You'd think it would be free and 100% clean to all by now. Aux contraire...

Links?
It was to be SC enabled. And it is.
To get 400kWh for free every year for the life of the car is a heck of a lot more than pretty much anyone but the most unworldly fangirls expects. When do you expect your Model 3 to be scrapped? Delivered 2017, scrapped 2032? Seems a short life for a good car. Still, 6000kWh of free energy, delivered to you while you're on the go. Depending of location on Earth, this can easily be worth $2000-3000. In today's money. And let's not pretend electricity will be as uncool and cheap in 2032. Look at drinking water trends. You'd think it would be free and 100% clean to all by now. Aux contraire...

Actually, with trends in Solar and Wind power being what they are, I do expect that on a real dollar/inflation compensated basis electricity will be cheaper in ten or fifteen years than it is today. I guess we'll see. :)

Reactions: callmesam