Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android: how to get the latest app for Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Still seeing lots of people complaining that Safety Score is missing on Android. Here's a quick guide on how to get it (and hopefully it will be short-lived because the version you need eventually will show up on the Play Store).

The reason you don't see the safety score is that the version of the Tesla App that you're running is not 4.1.0. The last version was 4.0.2, which was when the UI dramatically changed. You can see which version is available for download on the Play Store by going here and then scrolling all the way to the bottom:

Look for "Current Version." If it still says 4.0.2, then you won't be able to get the latest app from the Play Store. However, one of the long-standing features of Android is to not be a nanny and allow you to install apps from any source you want. This is called sideloading an app. When an app maker submits their app onto the Play Store, they have the option to specify how to release it. If they choose a rolling release, then the app will not be immediately available to everyone. Some devs do this to mitigate damage in case there is a critical bug with the release. Tesla released to all users on the Apple App Store, so it is strange that we continue to see rolling releases on the Play Store. I wonder if Google has any influence there.

For the minority of people who have successfully gotten 4.1.0 from the Play store, they can share the app (bundled as an .apk file on their phone) with another Android user, and they can upload the file to a mirror site that exists to host apps for sideloading. One such site is APKMirror, and if you search for Tesla, you'll see that they have 4.1.0 available for download:

At this point, I recommend anyone who has never sideloaded an app or has never heard of this concept to pause and do a bit of Googling to understand the possible risks of installing an app that did not come directly from the Play Store. Here are a few places to start:

The APKMirror site explains how it ensures the apk files it hosts are legit:

At this point, if you are comfortable with the idea of sideloading, you will need to enable this ability on your phone. Most likely, it is disabled by default for the general userbase's protection. Since the procedure is slightly different depending on what version you're on and what overlay your manufacturer has added to vanilla Android, you'll have to google the instructions for your device. This article covers a variety of situations:

Once you've enabled sideloading, it's time to download the Tesla 4.1.0 app to your phone. View this post with your phone and go here:

Tap the DOWNLOAD APK BUNDLE button. That will download the apk bundle to your phone.

Next, you will need an installer app, because this is not a simple .apk; it's a bundle. Google if you want to know what the difference is. You can use this app from the Play Store to install your apk bundle:

Run that app, and it will ask you for the location of the apk bundle. Navigate there and tap the bundle, and it will run a few checks. If it's a legit bundle, it will install.

Congrats, you'll now be running the official Tesla app v4.1.0. From here, force-kill the Tesla app if it's already running. Or just restart your phone. Next time you run the Tesla app, you should see the Safety Score (provided you purchased FSD, have the latest car firmware, and have gone for a drive). Make you're logged into the phone app as the owner of the car, otherwise the score won't show.

Still seeing lots of people complaining that Safety Score is missing on Android. Here's a quick guide on how to get it (and hopefully it will be short-lived because the version you need eventually will show up on the Play Store).

The reason you don't see the safety score is that the version of the Tesla App that you're running is not 4.1.0. The last version was 4.0.2, which was when the UI dramatically changed. You can see which version is available for download on the Play Store by going here and then scrolling all the way to the bottom:

Look for "Current Version." If it still says 4.0.2, then you won't be able to get the latest app from the Play Store. However, one of the long-standing features of Android is to not be a nanny and allow you to install apps from any source you want. This is called sideloading an app. When an app maker submits their app onto the Play Store, they have the option to specify how to release it. If they choose a rolling release, then the app will not be immediately available to everyone. Some devs do this to mitigate damage in case there is a critical bug with the release. Tesla released to all users on the Apple App Store, so it is strange that we continue to see rolling releases on the Play Store. I wonder if Google has any influence there.

For the minority of people who have successfully gotten 4.1.0 from the Play store, they can share the app (bundled as an .apk file on their phone) with another Android user, and they can upload the file to a mirror site that exists to host apps for sideloading. One such site is APKMirror, and if you search for Tesla, you'll see that they have 4.1.0 available for download:

At this point, I recommend anyone who has never sideloaded an app or has never heard of this concept to pause and do a bit of Googling to understand the possible risks of installing an app that did not come directly from the Play Store. Here are a few places to start:

At this point, if you are comfortable with the idea of sideloading, you will need to enable this ability on your phone. Most likely, it is disabled by default for the general userbase's protection. Since the procedure is slightly different depending on what version you're on and what overlay your manufacturer has added to vanilla Android, you'll have to google the instructions for your device. This article covers a variety of situations:

Once you've enabled sideloading, it's time to download the Tesla 4.1.0 app to your phone. View this post with your phone and go here:

Tap the DOWNLOAD APK BUNDLE button. That will download the apk bundle to your phone.

Next, you will need an installer app, because this is not a simple .apk; it's a bundle. Google if you want to know what the difference is. You can use this app from the Play Store to install your apk bundle:

Run that app, and it will ask you for the location of the apk bundle. Navigate there and tap the bundle, and it will run a few checks. If it's a legit bundle, it will install.

Congrats, you'll now be running the official Tesla app v4.1.0. From here, force-kill the Tesla app if it's already running. Or just restart your phone. Next time you run the Tesla app, you should see the Safety Score (provided you purchased FSD, have the latest car firmware, and have gone for a drive). Make you're logged into the phone app as the owner of the car, otherwise the score won't show.
I'm old and not good at I.T. stuff. In the search bar of my phone (android) I typed in "tesla 4.1.0" a page came up with tesla on it that had a choice to install or update. I already had the old app so I chose "update" and it did its thing. Now I'm able to see my score. The scoring does not have excessive speed as one of the parameters but does have this like following distance and aggressive breaking which I don't see as something to grade a driver on, I mean sometimes it happens. I got a few demerits for the things mentioned above but have an overall score of 96. So I'm guessing this test will be graded on a curve.

This worked like a charm. Thank you so much. Just got my first look at my safety score, 87. Not bad although I thought it would be better.

• Love
Reactions: nvx1977
This worked like a charm. Thank you so much. Just got my first look at my safety score, 87. Not bad although I thought it would be better.
I hate to break it to you, but that may not be so great. There's a poll here on this forum that currently shows 82.9% of respondents with scores of 95-100, and another 8.9% at 90-94%. That said, this is a voluntary poll on a forum, so there's almost certainly a lot of self-selection going on. Some respondents have also had a chance to adjust their driving style to "game" their scores, which you haven't yet done. Although I think a lot of the gaming that people are reporting is dubious at best, using Tesla's score, imperfect as it is, as a way to think about how you drive might be beneficial. (I'm not trying to direct this at you personally, really; this last sentence is more of a general comment.)

Other options for getting Tesla 4.1 if you are on Android :
  1. Find an oldish ipad or iphone. Or borrow someones.
  2. Sideload onto an older android tablet.
  3. If you have lots of RAM on your PC install Android emulator. Download Android Studio and setup an emulator. Then follow sideload instructions for emulator.

Because Tesla app is in my smartphone, I use Android's play store to install APKMirror app. But it could not find Tesla app in there. So is it necessary for me to get safety scores in order to get updates of FSD Beta software?

Does saftey score in 4.1 show after pressing the FSD button or after driving a certain distance. I don't see the Safety Score in the app where it is supposed to be. Perhaps this is because I haven't pressed the FSD beta button because one of the parking sensors in my rear bumper has been displaced by a rear impact (somebody hit my car while parked) . As I back up, now, the car sees this displaced sensor as a rear obstruction and beeps STOP. I am afraid I will get my score hurt each time I back out of my drive. So I am waiting to get the sensor put back before pressing the FSD accept button. I can't get a SC appt until the end of the month.

Does saftey score in 4.1 show after pressing the FSD button or after driving a certain distance. I don't see the Safety Score in the app where it is supposed to be. Perhaps this is because I haven't pressed the FSD beta button because one of the parking sensors in my rear bumper has been displaced by a rear impact (somebody hit my car while parked) . As I back up, now, the car sees this displaced sensor as a rear obstruction and beeps STOP. I am afraid I will get my score hurt each time I back out of my drive. So I am waiting to get the sensor put back before pressing the FSD accept button. I can't get a SC appt until the end of the month.

The proximity sensor warnings are not the same as the FCW that affects the safety score. That's already been confirmed with frontal proximity warnings not affecting the score.

Proximity chimes have a pleasant tone to them (relatively speaking), whereas the FCW is a rapid "oh sh*t" alert and only applies to higher speeds.

You do need to press the button and accept the terms before the safety score will show in app.

The proximity sensor warnings are not the same as the FCW that affects the safety score. That's already been confirmed with frontal proximity warnings not affecting the score.

Proximity chimes have a pleasant tone to them (relatively speaking), whereas the FCW is a rapid "oh sh*t" alert and only applies to higher speeds.

You do need to press the button and accept the terms before the safety score will show in app.
Thanks! I held my breath and pressed the button. I have friven 11 miles and my Safety Score is 100. So you are right, the displaced parking sensor didn't affect my score.

• Love
Reactions: nvx1977
I updated to version 4.1.1-667 on Android just minutes ago. Restarted the phone just in case and still no safety score. Car software is 2021.32.21. I'm assuming it has to be 2021.32.22 for it to work at this point?