Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The base 60 with No Pano, Black or White Paint Only, Slipstream Wheels, 10,000 Miles is listed for $66,000 - FedTax Credit $7,500 = $58,500 before Tax/Title....

not bad for someone that wants to get into a Tesla.
Or just $52,500 after the Colorado tax credit! Referral credit can lower it another $1000 so with docs & delivery, effectively $52,700 after tax credits!

With the increase in SuperCharger and the shorter distances between them becoming more normal a 60KWh version is much more viable then before.
Agreed, also the 60 is now available in AWD.

I didn't even consider the 60 when it was first available (lower range, no supercharging, etc.), but if the 60D was available when I got the 70D I'd consider it vs. a 70D (20 miles for $4k), dunno.

They may have to rethink their CPO pricing. Would you rather have this: 60 kWh Model S P12169 | Tesla Motors
or a new S60 for $4k more (after rebate)? You would not get leather, tech, and air suspension. But you get a brand new car with AP hardware + option to upgrade and option to upgrade battery. Not to mention all the over-time standard improvements that have been added.

I imagine there will be a significant hit on used 60kWh models both CPO and non-CPO.

I noticed something else:
Autopilot has been renamed to: Autopilot Convenience Features.

That makes room for a new auto pilot in the near feature.
Or... it separates the included autopilot safety features from the paid autopilot convenience features.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be an AP 2.0 or autonomous, or whatever is next. But I don't think the verbiage is a clue.

Reactions: dhanson865
I think it's quite brilliant that they've re-introduced the MS 60, with all the new updated features.

It gets buyers in at a lower price point, and the range and autopilot is upgradeable post-purchase.

When the leased MS 60s come back, if they haven't been range increased, Tesla can sell them as CPO 75s. (or range upgradeable 60s -- whatever the needs of the sales are).

I think with this lower price/more features model 60, they'll be able to sell more cars.

Additionally, the new 60 is now cheaper than the price it was at when they phased it out for the 70/70D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashkenaz
isn't this worst for 75D purchases?

If the 75D cost $70K before and now it costs $74,500 with the battery upgrade on the 60?

The funny thing is assuming it's the same battery, you can just set your 60kWh batter to 100% charge (knowing there's an extra 15kwh)
whereas 75kwh owners would normally set their car to 80% charge.

I'm sure I have a few things wrong here....
The after-facelift version of 70D used to cost $76500. Not $70000.

I've had my refreshed S70D for three weeks today. I like that I may upgrade to the 75 in the future, should I find the desire and/or need. I think offering the 60 with the ability to upgrade to 75 is really smart, for all the reasons noted in previous posts - opens the market to additional buyers who really want an S but not at the higher price. I think they'll have a pretty good take-rate.

Pardon if this has been answered before.

So the S60 model will have a 75KW battery software limited to 60KW.

My question is will the S60 (75KW) have the same charging curve characteristics as the 75KW but software capped at 80%?

So an advantage would be much quicker charging to "100%" at a super charger compared to a true 60KW battery?

Another advantage would be having a 20% battery degradation buffer built in?

Can some battery expert confirm?

Reactions: pmich80

My question is will the S60 (75KW) have the same charging curve characteristics as the 75KW but software capped at 80%?

So an advantage would be much quicker charging to "100%" at a super charger compared to a true 60KW battery?

I don't think anyone knows until some of the new 60 cars are delivered and someone do testing on it.

Most of that would make sense, but we really won't know until a car shows up and gets tested. The degradation part will depend greatly on the programming. Unless Tesla specifically designs it to compensate for loss, it probably won't - but you should get the faster SpC charge, the safe 100%, and even regen near 100%.

Most of that would make sense, but we really won't know until a car shows up and gets tested. The degradation part will depend greatly on the programming. Unless Tesla specifically designs it to compensate for loss, it probably won't - but you should get the faster SpC charge, the safe 100%, and even regen near 100%.

I figured so, and I agree.

It would be much more complicated to create new software to mimic artificial charging dynamics for a 60kw battery on a 75kw one.

Yeah, need some testing here. Assuming Tesla will still recommend 90% charging since same software as rest of us, thus the 210 miles stated for the 60kWh new version (even with 75kWh battery) will just net 189 rated miles new/max typically at 90%.