Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
man I dunno. 10.3% sales tax already feels insane. So regressive too. Also, a ton of people that live in cities can walk to stores pretty easily. I will agree that most of us drive (or ride public transportation) places to buy things though.

Understand your reservations. Just remember that even those in cities who can walk to stores are buying goods that were delivered to the stores in trucks using the roadways. So right now people who live in cities and do not own a car pay no motor fuel tax but definitely benefit from the roads and bridges because the goods they buy are delivered via truck.

Reactions: mrElbe
Indiana:
Total Vehicle Excise Tax 2019: $407.00
Transportation Infrastructure Improvement $15.00
Passenger Motor Vehicle Registration $21.35
Personalized License Plate $45.00
Electric Vehicle Supplemental $150.00
Transaction Total : 638.35

This really makes my skin crawl thinking about it up around my 1 year mark here in SoCal. My bf has a 2018 BMW 330e and was nearly $700.. that even made me cringe. I fear it's gonna really make me mad hahah Not surprised in it seeing as the state tends to fist its residents with taxes.

City: Seattle, WA
Model: Model 3 LR Dual Motor

Registration License - Renewal $30.00
Transportation Electrification $75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal $150.00

Vehicle Weight $45.00
Registration Filing $4.50
Registration Service Fee $8.00
Department of Licensing Service $0.50
License Plate Technology $0.25
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle $80.00
RTA Excise Tax $519.00
Total $912.25

New Jersey:

At vehicle purchase:
$84 - 1 year registration
$5 - registration transfer fee (from my prior vehicle)
$0.00 - sales tax (EVs are exempt.)

Year 2 renewal will be $84.
Years 3 & beyond will be $71.50.

Not so bad.

EDIT: if you don’t transfer a registration and instead need a new one, the state collects 4 years’ worth of registration fees up front. So $ (84+84+71.50+71.50) = $311.... the upside is not having to do any paperwork for 4 years.

Oh yeah, forgot - EVs are also exempt from state inspection.

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
I have to say it again... Yeah, that may be so, but you're still in Jersey :) ;):rolleyes:.

Beaches, forests, mountains and farmland ... Blueberries and the most delicious tomatoes anywhere ... great bagels and pizza and Taylor ham ... and 24 hour diners at every turn.

yep, awful place to be.

of course we’d be happy to sell Newark to the highest bidder. :)

We also have beaches (Santa Cruz), forests (redwoods, sequoias and pines... well, the ones which haven't burnt down yet...), mountains (Tahoe) and farmland (Central Valley). Not sure if blueberries are grown here but tomatoes probably are. Bagels can be found in a couple of places here, pizza lesser so (not really authentic Chicago-style despite what Pizza Hut might say) and there's a Honey Baked Ham store in town. There used to be a fair amount of places to eat 24/7 but COVID has taken its toll. Same for the nightlife (what I know of it).

Great weather (except the current heatwave; thanks global warming), the occasional earthquake swarm (6 shakers of about 3.0 each in the last 24 hours a few miles from San Jose) and did I mention the vast parking lots around here? Most other places would call them highways (or turnpikes).

re: Newark. Same can be said of San Francisco (typically by the South Bayers here) but I don't know who in their right-mind would pay for it.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Well there is a one-time gas guzzler tax applied to the vehicle purchase, but nothing after that.
Right. There are multiple *annual* taxes on EVs in Washington, but not on gas guzzlers. I'm fine with paying a replacement fee to replace the gas tax, since that goes to road maintenance. But it's ridiculous to pass EV infrastructure costs off on EV owners when we're already paying a premium for our vehicles and actually helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.