Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just paid a grand here in CO.

Yeah about $1100 or so for me. I was going to skip the vanity plate, but a rounding error compared to the ownership tax. And no thanks to the republicans, I can’t write it off since the SALT cap is now so LOW.

I get free charging at work, but still every dollar I save on gas goes to extra registration and insurance.

NJ -

When purchasing the vehicle, the title fee is either $60 (no lien) or $85 (if there’s a lease/loan). They also collect - as part of the purchase process - 4 years of registration fees up front. It’s $311. $84 each year for years 1 and 2, and $71.50 for each year past that.

There is no sales tax on electric vehicles in NJ. They are also exempt from vehicle inspections.

So I paid $396 as part of the vehicle purchase, and the next time I have to think about it will be in 2023, at $71.50 for the year.

Tennessee has a $100 electric vehicle fee plus the regular $26.50 to register a car. So total in Tennessee is $126.50. At least there isn't any property tax on vehicles in Tennessee.

Also depends on the county and if you have custom plates (and I think theyve gone up again since your $26.50)

my Tennessee is - $29 for the plate renewal (fee goes to state) + $36 for the county + $61.50 for a custom plate ($35 of which goes to the National Park Service’s care of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the rest goes to the state.) + $100 EV tax (goes to the state)

So I'll be paying $226.50 this time around.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
We have two portions.
  • VED (Vehicle Excise Duty) - a sliding scale based on NO and CO2 emissions. zero emissions = zero VED to pay Vehicle tax rates
  • Luxury Car Tax - £320 per year for years 2-6 only (5 years in total)

Here's a comparison showing a Tesla versus a Diesel with high emissions

VED.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Carol525
For those not from NC, we put a highway use tax rather than sales tax on car purchases.

Hello! I'm in Salisbury too!

I purchased my Model 3 a few weeks ago. Apparently in NC you have to pay property taxes on a vehicle you just purchased. Fun! Here are the fees that were included in my vehicle purchase price:
$1602 "Highway Use Tax"
$52 "MCO Cert of TTL Fee" (guess this is for a new plate?)
$36 "Plate Calculation"
$130 "Electric Vehicle"

The property taxes are $400. So I presume the annual fee to use this car on NC roads will be $36 (regular plate) + $130 (electric vehicle) + $400-ish (taxes), so around $560. The taxes make sense due to vehicle value, so the $130 must be used to offset gas taxes we don't pay.

$522 for my registration here in Iowa.

Also paid 5% sales tax on it (something like $3,300) when I first purchased it last December. Paid it here in Iowa, even though, you know, Tesla isn't even allowed to sell these vehicles in this state! Wish there was something I could do about it - I don't think this state should be getting sales tax revenue when it actively prohibited me from being able to purchase the vehicle within the state's borders. I paid it in protest though as I couldn't get the plates without doing so.

$522 for my registration here in Iowa.

Also paid 5% sales tax on it (something like $3,300) when I first purchased it last December. Paid it here in Iowa, even though, you know, Tesla isn't even allowed to sell these vehicles in this state! Wish there was something I could do about it - I don't think this state should be getting sales tax revenue when it actively prohibited me from being able to purchase the vehicle within the state's borders. I paid it in protest though as I couldn't get the plates without doing so.

Write your state Rep and state Senator along with the Governor. Be polite but firm that Tesla should be allowed to do business freely in the state an the free market should decide whether Tesla’s business model will succeeed. Then cite the sales tax figure you paid and ask them to explain why they allow the sale and collection of sales tax on a product that they consider to be unfit for consumers in the state. Politicians, no matter the party, all want to be re-elected and generally respond to written requests. If you feel up to it ask them to meet in person to discuss the issue in more detail. As more of us press our elected leaders on this issue it will eventually change.