Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model S feature wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TF3 FTW

@AnOutsider: A color display would be nice!

Make it an OLED backlit display and now we're talking! This would require the use of a rechargeable batteries which may turn people off; unless, there was some sort of fob holster in the car that would also charge the SmartFob simultaneously.

Don't think people would be too keen on having to charge their car remote but you never know.

Well, aside from doing wireless electric like the original Tesla (Nikola), you could also have a slot behind the steering wheel where a normal key would go. It wouldn't be necessary to have the key in there to start the car, but if it IS in there, it can be charged.

My girlfriend's Murana has this. As long as the key is in the car, she can turn the ignition without it being in it (it's a knob), but you can also stick the key into the slot if that's just what you're used to.

Well, aside from doing wireless electric like the original Tesla (Nikola), you could also have a slot behind the steering wheel where a normal key would go. It wouldn't be necessary to have the key in there to start the car, but if it IS in there, it can be charged.

That would work. As long as the keyless entry and start functions didn't require charging the key fob (had a secondary regular battery like standard key fobs do), then I think that would work well.

@xcelero.ii:

Yes the retracting door handles are cool, I totally agree on that - and I'm sure they create a lot of buzz - but the practicality is nearly zero and it's one more moving part to potentially break down.

Regarding the trunk button, if it's programmed like you suggest I have no problem with that. But if the car and trunk would unlock by proximity and the trunk can open by touch that solves the problem too.

Looking at TF3 I do like that design, it's so simple and uncluttered it could easily be operated by feel in the dark. Oh, here's a suggestion - make the display with a backlight (and the buttons too for that matter), and maybe tapping on the display or pressing a button will make the backlight turn on for a few seconds so you can read it in the dark.
It's a luxury car and we're paying a luxury car price. Owner satisfaction, potential for attracting new buyers, etc. will be much greater with whiz-bang features like this when you're paying that price. A manually operated key and push button door handles would probably save a bit of $$, but that's not going to attract the target audience.

Part of the reason the Prius II was so hugely successful and that the Prius III will be as well is that they had not only a cutting edge and efficient drive train strapped to a stripped down Corolla, but they included features not yet found on most luxury cars. When I got my Prius I bought a rolling technology laboratory and I LOVED it. You do not want old school hardware on a cutting edge vehicle.

Bluestar may be a little different story...but I bet not much different. It'll be scaled back from the Model S, but I bet they still follow Toyota's lead by including features above and beyond the average family sedan. It makes you feel better about paying the "premium" for the EV.

That would work. As long as the keyless entry and start functions didn't require charging the key fob (had a secondary regular battery like standard key fobs do), then I think that would work well.

I'm honestly confused by this post. Maybe I need to clarify... the fob would have a battery, and instead of having to replace it or plug it into a charger at home, your fob could idly charge when in the car.

There's no getting around the fact that a key fob would need a battery -- whether replaceable or rechargeable. I'm merely suggesting a cool way to do the latter.

*edit* well-said efusco

I'm honestly confused by this post. Maybe I need to clarify... the fob would have a battery, and instead of having to replace it or plug it into a charger at home, your fob could idly charge when in the car.

There's no getting around the fact that a key fob would need a battery -- whether replaceable or rechargeable. I'm merely suggesting a cool way to do the latter.
I think recharging it in the car is an excellent idea.
I just meant that if there was going to be an OLED screen that drains a fair amount of power, I wouldn't want it to drain the key fob dry too quickly leaving the key fob without power to perform its main function (opening the doors). The battery in my key fob for the Volvo I own has lasted a few years. If, with the OLED screen, you had to remember to charge it every few days or it stopped functioning, I would prefer not to have the OLED screen or be able to turn it off. That's why a battery dedicated to the simple act of opening the doors independent of the OLED screen would be nice.

OK, can we dream since this is a "wish list"?

The Toyota Crown Luxury Sedan (Japan only) has a Prius-like Smart Key System (ie. approach the car, the interior lights, up, touch the hand and the car unlocks, sit down and press start to turn on the car, etc.). But they have an optional Wrist Watch you can buy that has the fob built into it!! Thus you never worry about finding your keys. You put on your nice Tesla wrist watch every morning and never give a second thought to keys/fobs anything.

That is what I want. Throw in a cheap plastic thing with a mechanical key and buttons for a back-up or for my wife or whatever. But give me the classy watch that doubles as my car "key".
News Release 2005/TOKAI RIKA CO., LTD.
http://response.jp/issue/2006/0222/article79573_1.images/109035.html
109035.jpg

I just realised that the Model S doesn't have any side protection against rampant doors and car-park-pillars. I'm of course talking of the small band of rubber or plastic most cars have to protect against dings from when a car parked nearby opens their door. If Franz can get it to look nice I would really like that, otherwise I might as well set aside some money to completely redo the paint every year :(

Cobos

So should the fob be a USB (rechargeable) dongle with buttons?

Could use it to store all sorts of personalised settings.

Same for the Tesla wristwatch - without the USB connector

I think some metallic contact points at the base where you put the key fob into a recessed area on the center console to charge it, keep it in place while you drive would be cool. It could talk over bluetooth I guess but that could be a power drain. Maybe USB would be better since you wouldn't need to change the settings that often.

I just realised that the Model S doesn't have any side protection against rampant doors and car-park-pillars. I'm of course talking of the small band of rubber or plastic most cars have to protect against dings from when a car parked nearby opens their door. If Franz can get it to look nice I would really like that, otherwise I might as well set aside some money to completely redo the paint every year :(

Cobos

I'm already planning on putting Dent Wizard on retainer. :wink:

I just don't get the retracting door handles. They couldn't possibly improve aerodynamics by any significant amount and they've gotta cause all sorts of added cost and complication.

Agreed 100%. All I can think of is the fact that the side mirrors are there - as long as those remain, I find minor tweaks like the retracting door handles hardly worth the money.