Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true, at least not to that of Tesla's extent.

My Lexus LX570 has 116k miles and is 11 years old. Absolutely impeccable fit and finish.

One of my staff has a ~15 year old Honda Pilot; also no problems with issues that seem to plague the M3 and MY.
I just was driving next to a new Mercedes GLS SUV. I could not believe the orange peel paint job. I first thought it was the result of a repair, but nope - sides, back, orange peel.

Most of the malcontents would reject a Tesla with that paint job. Most sane people wouldn't notice nor care.

I just was driving next to a new Mercedes GLS SUV. I could not believe the orange peel paint job. I first thought it was the result of a repair, but nope - sides, back, orange peel.

Most of the malcontents would reject a Tesla with that paint job. Most sane people wouldn't notice nor care.
I will love this post because orange peel is easily fixed by anyone with some 2k wet sand and a polisher. Paint mismatches, splotched welds, different color bumpers, panel gaps that let car washes leak in, and simply missing parts are absolutely a sh*ttier choice than orange peel paint that is even microns all around.

You have low expectations and I don’t. That’s why I traded in my M3 taking a $15K hit, for a Model S.
Good for you. As I said before, to each his own.
On the contrary I have very high expectations. I would not buy a car in 2020 that does not have 300+ miles range. I would not own one that can't drive itself effortlessly at the very minimum on the highways. I would not buy one whose battery doesn't degrade like cheese left out on a hot summer day. I would not buy one that doesn't let me drive cross country. I paid big bucks to get those features. If any car doesn't do well in any of those capabilities, for me that is poor quality.

You perhaps paid $60K for the cosmetics. Perhaps for you the definition of quality is, how well the panels fit together?.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting it is okay to have panel gaps and subpar paint. But when you and others complain, "poor quality', it almost seems you give no weightage to all the things that make an EV, a great EV.

While others have mastered perfectly-fitting-panels, Tesla is currently focusing on increasing range, decreasing the price, and adding more features to autonomous driving. I would take those for now, even if the panels have a few mm more gaps on the lower fender. They can get to that, once they reach 400 miles range for sub $40K, that drives itself from home to office.

Last edited:
Electroman, you're confusing "qualities" for "quality."

The things you listed are qualities you were willing to pay for. Most of us are looking for better build quality as far as fit/finish and paint are concerned.

I read your post and it seems to me that the car is an appliance for you. For others their cars are an expression or extension of themselves. Many take pleasure in looking at a beautiful paint job on the car they worked hard to pay for, and they don't want to walk up to the car cringing at the different shades of white on each door and bumper.

My reasons for ordering a MY:

EV
Range
Software
Charging Infrastructure
Resale Value

What I am not willing to do is spend 60k on a shat paint job. I will tolerate an inconsistent gap here and there, but shoddy workmanship is disappointing, but many potential buyers are willing to deal with them knowing the service centers can fix most of the problems. I do have a problem with hearing that SCs seemingly are willing to use the "within spec" excuse to getting out of fixing some issues that others have had rectified. For example, the charge port door or the misaligned rear seats. Many early buyers had SCs replace the charge port door to get one that fits better, and adjustments were attempted or actually fixed on many cars, but now owners are reporting that they're being told their charge port doors and misaligned rears seats are "within spec" or "they all look like that."

The MY still is my choice for my EV purchase. I've put off delivery in hopes that Tesla figures out how to bolt these cars together a bit better and for them to paint them properly. Maybe if Musk stopped pressing for MORE production then employees would take a keener eye on getting things right before presenting these cars for delivery. When Musk's stock options ride on metrics that are helped by cranking out as many cars as humanly possible, this is the result we are seeing imho

I read your post and it seems to me that the car is an appliance for you.
You maybe right. The definition of quality for some is, how it looks. For others (hopefully for many) is how it drives, and what it can do while it is driving.

When I picked up my first Tesla - a 20k miles CPO Model S 85, with AP - in 2015, the Tesla rep walked me around the car and noted down a few scratches on the paint, that I had to squint to see them. He was apologetic and said he will put that on the due bill and get them fixed. I told him that I really don't care for those, but instead asked him for a set of 4 new tires. He readily agreed. Win-Win for both. I loved that car and drove that for another 30K+ miles (50k miles Odo) before I traded that in for my Model 3 LR.

That car started with 255 miles of range when I picked it up and after another 30k miles still had 248 miles range. That is what I call a high quality battery design. And I paid close to $70k for that with taxes. Loved every bit of it.

Last edited:
You maybe right. The definition of quality for some is, how it looks. For others (hopefully for many) is how it drives, and what it can do while it is driving.

When I picked up my first Tesla - a 20k miles CPO Model S 85, with AP - in 2015, the Tesla rep walked me around the car and noted down a few scratches on the paint, that I had to squint to see them. He was apologetic and said he will put that on the due bill and get them fixed. I told him that I really don't care for those, but instead asked him for a set of 4 new tires. He readily agreed. Win-Win for both. I loved that car and drove that for another 30K+ miles (50k miles Odo) before I traded that in for my Model 3 LR.

That car started with 255 miles of range when I picked it up and after another 30k miles still had 248 miles range. That is what I call a high quality battery design. And I paid close to $70k for that with taxes. Loved every bit of it.
Tesla 2015 =/= Tesla 2020.

As the owner of a two week old MY, White/White with a few issues I've described earlier in this thread, I feel as if Tesla the initial 20,000 cars of any model run should be discounted 5-10% as a way to admit that there will be correctable gremlins, and to guarantee the repair of those issues -- or money will be refunded.

Was just looking at the "Best Posts" section of the forum in particular "another checklist" in the most helpful section. Granted parts of it are very helpful, I'm OCD-ish and I had a paint issue at delivery but most of the potential issues listed would be covered by warranty. If I did not own a Tesla and considered buying one that checklist would scare me away. It creates neurotic buyers that appear to have never bought a car, you know "been there done that" (list recommends "bring a flash light" and checking that every possible function of the car works... front and rear speaker fade, car keeps volume after turning off/on), and projects that Tesla builds absolute shat and more importantly won't warranty any subsequent issues discovered. Also should include the exact millimeter specs for every panel gap. Last point, the checklist should have instructions for storing your perfect, imperfection free car so it never gets wind blown on it, rained on or god forbid hit by a rock or dinged.

Last edited:
Was just looking at the "Best Posts" section of the forum in particular "another checklist" in the most helpful section. Granted parts of it are very helpful, I'm OCD-ish and I had a paint issue at delivery but most of the potential issues listed would be covered by warranty. If I did not own a Tesla and considered buying one that checklist would scare me away. It creates neurotic buyers that appear to have never bought a car, you know "been there done that" (list recommends "bring a flash light"), and projects that Tesla builds absolute shat and more importantly won't warranty any subsequent issues discovered. Also should include the exact millimeter specs for every panel gap. Last point, the checklist should have instructions for storing your perfect, imperfection free car so it never gets wind blown on it, rained on or god forbid hit by a rock or dinged.
Tesla has earned the checklist. Right now QC for a Tesla is on the consumer more than for nearly any other brand.

Although competitors are narrowing the gap, I’ll likely add to my Tesla fleet at some point. I’d certainly recommended to anyone to give them a try. Just bring a checklist and a critical eye.

Tesla has earned the checklist. Right now QC for a Tesla is on the consumer more than for nearly any other brand.

Although competitors are narrowing the gap, I’ll likely add to my Tesla fleet at some point. I’d certainly recommended to anyone to give them a try. Just bring a checklist and a critical eye.

I get to a point Tesla has some issues but the checklist implies that if you don't point out (and find) every single issue at delivery Tesla is going to screw you (i.e. warranty is worthless).

As a Tesla owner I am amazed how it’s the non owners that have the most complaints. Why are you here? Don’t buy a Tesla. Why complain on this board? Tesla is not a LUXURY brand! They are a premium EV Just buy an Etron or something else. You’d be much happier.

Totally agree! Bunch of perfectionists who are spending their last dime on a Tesla.

it’s a hunk of metal you drive on asphalt at 70mph people. Just be happy Tesla makes it fun to drive and safe.

it’s not supposed to be a faberge egg.

many on this forum are expectant Tesla MY owners. I wouldn't waste my time with a Tesla forum if I didn't plan on buying one. I put my order in late February and have already put off delivery because of the less than stellar paint quality and build that is very evident in the MY.

Luxury? I have always chuckled at the M3 owners who would call their car a luxury car. It's not. It's a "premium" EV. But why does that matter? I don't expect any better fit and finish from a luxury or a premium car compared to a run-of-the-mill entry level car. Have you looked at the paint and fit and finish of any car under 20k dollars from a legacy car maker? Each and every one will put the MY to shame.

You accepting poor quality, well that's on you. We all have our levels of expectation, and Tesla isn't meeting many expectations with regards to QC for a lot of buyers, or for professional reviewers (I'm sure you follow car magazine reviews too).

My guess is a lot of the Tesla fanboys are not nor never were "gear heads." Guys/gals who grew up wrenching on cars and appreciating cars for the machinery and taking pride in customizing their cars and keeping the clean and polished expect more from their vehicles than those who look at a car as an appliance to get them from point A to B.

And if you're really following all the threads, there are many Tesla M3/S/X owners who openly admit that the MY is not meeting their expectations either.

Exactly, raggedy. Add me to the list of those postponing. I also ordered in February. It is primarily because I think the paint and other quality issues will improve in the coming months versus now that Tesla did not get my money in Q2. Right now I’m planning to wait until Fall or Winter.

There are probably enough customers that want their car now so Tesla can keep pumping out cars in the current state. Eventually though, increasing quality control will translate into getting my and your money in a given future quarter.

Armed with a checklist that I created having watched other peoples' videos, my wife and I showed up at our appointment today to pick up our new white LR Model Y. This would be our 2nd Tesla: We already have a 3-year-old Model S. Well, I was told our Model Y was built on July 7, so I was thinking there was less pressure for the factory to push it out the door.

Insert sigh here.

The defects ranged from the stupid to the major: dirty hand-prints on the inside door panels, seats, and ceiling--to misaligned doors and lights. The event was supposed to take 15 minutes, but we wanted to check out the car first before signing. It took two hours.

So the dealership promised to address everything on our long list. Apparently that will take about 3 weeks. Assuming they can actually fix them. We'll see how that goes.

It seems like the factory got the rear seat motor controls working, and the rear hatch doesn't get stuck like it did for other people. Instead, the biggest issues were: Alignment. Alignment. Alignment. And a new one that I hadn't seen in other people's videos: a fingernail-sized overhang where the metal fender meets the plastic bumper under the headlight.

For some reason, our local dealership doesn't have a detailing department anymore, so there were all sorts of annoying blobs of dirt and stickiness from packaging that no one had bothered to clean up. And then of course there were the lights, hood, doors, hatch, fenders, and charging port that needed to be straightened out.

My wife thinks the problem is the car is mostly built by robots. Or maybe it's just the quality control department.

Geez, I wish they would get on top of this.