Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Sentry success story: Car keyed, women handcuffed and charged with vandalism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslarati corroborates. Should be legitimate. Nevertheless, three dozen posts with no one having looked into it is not a hopeful sign for the Tesla community to be above falling for mischievous news reports.

Not my car but came across another successful sentry mode story on reddit with video below.

Sentry recording starts at 0:34

Great video-how was this obtained? Someone keyed my MX and we were quite upset because we could not find out who did this.
The side cameras are not always on? These key scratches are hard to fix on pearl white.
Isn't there a Sentry mode update? I don't see it on my MS and MX.

Great video-how was this obtained? Someone keyed my MX and we were quite upset because we could not find out who did this.
The side cameras are not always on? These key scratches are hard to fix on pearl white.
Isn't there a Sentry mode update? I don't see it on my MS and MX.

You have to have a late 2017 model year MS/MX (2.5 hardware) and with the newest software update to get Sentry Mode. Our MX got the update last week.

I guess I'll find out, but anybody use sentry in underground garage with zero cell signal? Does it even work/record? Obviously it can't notify you.

Even with signal, it does not notify you on a "recording". You just have to check the flash drive to see if anything is recorded once you get back to the car. You will only get "notified" if there is a LOUD sound detected and the car's alarm tripped. The loud sound was supposed to be a window breaking or other cars slammed into your car, but other reports that loud motorcycle drove by will trip it too.

Based on OP's video, I don't think the alarm was tripped. If the alarm tripped, you will be sure that she would not be parking next to OP's car and she would be looking toward it with all the noises.

I hate these lowlifes. They are likely even worse than the people breaking in and stealing things.

“I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I'd like some corroboration other than a "Read it on Reddit" that the woman was apprehended and handcuffed. If true, it shouldn't be difficult to get a police log, etc.
I don't see how she could have been, at least not at the scene. For that to happen it means the owner of the car came back and noticed the scratches, pulled the USB, watched the video, called the police, and waited for them to arrive so that the owner could point them to the lady in the car beside him who, inexplicably, was still sitting there...