Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another tragic fatality with a semi in Florida. This time a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be, I hope so. I can tell you that wether it was 3/10 or up to a mile, it’s not looking good for AP. But let’s see what Tesla comes out with.

There is no way AP continued to drive after the impact. It just isn't possible. (Unless the airbags didn't trigger, which I supposed is possible since there was no impact on the lower portion of the car.)

But I highly doubt that Tesla is using the B-pillar cameras for lane guidance, which is all that would be left.

• Disagree
Reactions: OPRCE and pscarroll
Could be, I hope so. I can tell you that wether it was 3/10 or up to a mile, it’s not looking good for AP. But let’s see what Tesla comes out with.
What's more, Tesla claims to be close to higher level of autonomy and using safety features on all vehicles, also with EAP unpurchased and disengaged, but then these accidents happen, more than once with plenty of time in between to prevent recurrence. And 500 meters to come to a stop... Really makes you wonder how that project is plotted and taken on, let alone signed off on.

There is no way AP continued to drive after the impact. It just isn't possible. (Unless the airbags didn't trigger, which I supposed is possible since there was no impact on the lower portion of the car.)

But I highly doubt that Tesla is using the B-pillar cameras for lane guidance, which is all that would be left.
If we assume impact at 80mph, and the car shooting through despite the A, B and C pillars sheared off, even when HV power is cut off, what brings the car to a halt? Let's say 10mph was lost in the impact. How long does it take a Model 3 with on a driver and sheared off roof to come to a halt if nothing more gets in its way? HV was cut off so no drive, but then again perhaps so was regen...

I would have expected that the deployment of the airbags would initiate a gentle application of the brakes, as well as the cutoff of the HV battery.
Without HV battery connection, I believe regen will be basically nothing and only rolling resistance would apply. Doubt that would take a rolling car a mile though.

Reactions: OPRCE
I would have expected that the deployment of the airbags would initiate a gentle application of the brakes, as well as the cutoff of the HV battery.
Without HV battery connection, I believe regen will be basically nothing and only rolling resistance would apply. Doubt that would take a rolling car a mile though.
Starting at 70mph, slowing down most early on due to air resistance being progressive, expect average speed of 3mph. One mile takes 2 minutes. At 2 tons and low rolling resistance and sleek aero...could be possible. The slightest amount of downhill will seal it. 5 meters is 11mph effectively.

Then what happens with a Level 5 Model 3 when a wet leaf falls onto the forward facing cameras behind the windshield? It will abruptly stop in the middle of the road and call The Mothership for backup? You can't possibly believe that to be reasonable. The other cams and radar will need to figure something out.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Then what happens with a Level 5 Model 3 when a wet leaf falls onto the forward facing cameras behind the windshield? It will abruptly stop in the middle of the road and call The Mothership for backup? You can't possibly believe that to be reasonable. The other cams and radar will need to figure something out.

The auto windshield wipers wipe it off, its not really that complicated.

Not a chance

Do you remember what road crossing was close to the Tesla?

Blue dotted line is 3/10 of a mile. 1 mile is in the next image.

117FA66F-C7B6-40A6-A9DA-3069DC3A2924.jpeg

E3C80B8D-C977-40E0-8992-A85B0FFE0BF8.jpeg

The auto windshield wipers wipe it off, its not really that complicated.

But without the windshield, the wipers might just keep wiping (until the leaf comes off which it won't)!

2.5 years has passed, regardless of AP engaged or not, the system ought to be safer by some degree. Whatever done is done, but I can't stop wondering if a Mobileye system would have solved the problem.

2.5 years has passed, regardless of AP engaged or not, the system ought to be safer by some degree. Whatever done is done, but I can't stop wondering if a Mobileye system would have solved the problem.
The big thing about Mobileye is that it will never be better than Mobileye, meaning that it will be no different than what any other car manufacturer will have. Tesla has the potential of being better.

Reactions: bhzmark
The big thing about Mobileye is that it will never be better than Mobileye, meaning that it will be no different than what any other car manufacturer will have. Tesla has the potential of being better.

There is variation between manufacturers. For example Kia offers Highway Mode, where you can take your hands off the wheel on certain roads, using MobileEye tech.

Do you remember what road crossing was close to the Tesla?

Blue dotted line is 3/10 of a mile. 1 mile is in the next image.

View attachment 384055

View attachment 384058
Based on my viewing of the initial helicopter footage, I would think the three-tenths of a mile is correct, as recorded by the NHTSA. It looks like the TV station has since edited the video so that it no longer shows the tarp-covered car. If someone could provide other photos or video, we could confirm.

I would also expect FSD to come safely to a stop if the top of the car is sheared off. I don't expect it use other cams and radar to figure something out.
The car knows the cameras are inoperative. It’s not a sentinent being that knows the top is sheared off...and it doesn’t care. If it needs the camera data to do its job and alerts the driver, and receives no response, it’ll come to a halt. If mud splashed up and covers the cameras the same thing, etc. if the damage doesn’t preclude the car from doing its job it’ll continue on. Sympathy for the driver if he had a medical issue. Pity if he were asleep or watching movies. It’ll be interesting what NTSB comes up with. We know we can always override EAP. I could see a scenario where the driver has a medical issue and jerks the wheel over, disengaging Autosteer, and under the semi. The TACC continues forward motion.

The car knows the cameras are inoperative. It’s not a sentinent being that knows the top is sheared off...and it doesn’t care. If it needs the camera data to do its job and alerts the driver, and receives no response, it’ll come to a halt. If mud splashed up and covers the cameras the same thing, etc. if the damage doesn’t preclude the car from doing its job it’ll continue on. Sympathy for the driver if he had a medical issue. Pity if he were asleep or watching movies. It’ll be interesting what NTSB comes up with. We know we can always override EAP. I could see a scenario where the driver has a medical issue and jerks the wheel over, disengaging Autosteer, and under the semi. The TACC continues forward motion.
The front facing cameras are a few inches below the roof so they were certainly sheared off. I was just pointing out that this a not a big problem for autonomous vehicles. An autonomous vehicle could just remember the last thing it saw and try to stop safely given that information.
It seems likely that the driver in this situation was using AP and not paying attention. We'll find out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.