Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another winter tire thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from Blizzak's and the X-Ice 3's out perform my Blizzak's by every metric. Better in snow, better in wet, more quiet and they seem to even be wearing slower and haven't resulted in HUGE loss of range (measuring when it hasn't been -17).

Overall, I have found these to be my favourite winter tires of all time (even over the Nokian's) because they are quiet.

Could be the additional weight of the X that's making the X-Ice perform better? The Michelin Primacy with AWD M3 would spin out in the rear when I got too excited with the accelerator. Would be interesting to test the Nokkians with RWD if the snow stays in a couple of days.

I have X-ice on my Subaru Outback (AWD) and they are excellent for most conditions with deep snow or ice being more challenging. The car will bomb through snow due to the AWD and high clearance, but they aren't really that great when it gets bad out, which isn't that common for Southern Ontario winters - once or twice a winter? I put the Nokian R3's on the RWD M3 and they are definitely noisier and squishier on the highway, but give very good snow traction. When it's really deep though, the M3 is a lower car and only RWD, so there is a limit to what they can do when it's very bad - which is again, maybe once or twice a year.

I suggest the Nokian R3's for any car now having both of these tires on separate vehicles. My Outback should be the MUCH the superior car in snow driving, and it's not, in my opinion. The Nokians are not as good in the dry, have some road noise and wiggle on the road more - BUT when you want them, they are the superior winter tire. My opinion only.

If you can't find the 235/45-18 size, consider asking for 225/45-18 for Nokian R3's. Kal Tire may have them and a narrower tire can actually give you marginally better traction with no real downside - just an ever so slightly low speedometer. Also, the Tesla Owners club gets a pretty hefty discount at Kal Tire, but that's been discussed in other threads.

Hope that helps

Could be the additional weight of the X that's making the X-Ice perform better? The Michelin Primacy with AWD M3 would spin out in the rear when I got too excited with the accelerator. Would be interesting to test the Nokkians with RWD if the snow stays in a couple of days.
Possible, although wifey has the Blizzak's on her RX350 right now, which is alwo AWD and I would say that the Tesla is better in the snow in most regards (except ground clearance).

With X-Ice3 on a RWD LR M3 I was able to drive mostly anywhere without getting stuck; however, on local unplowed roads it seemed like it would occasionally get stuck (especially when turning) with several centimeters of snow. It took me some time to realize that if I put my car in "Chill" mode, with slip start, and slightly nudge the accelerator, I can get out of tricky spots. The key wasn't to rotate the steering wheel, as it doesn't really help much if its stuck, but rather to slightly go reverse, and then forward... a really interesting experience...

Came in to the GTA earlier this morning from the west. 401 westbound was shut down around Milton. Eastbound moving at 4km/hr. Road was extremely icy in sections. At one point, a large cube truck beside me had turned his front wheels full to the left just to keep straight while sliding at said 4km/hr. Cleared up and was moving fairly well closer to Mississauga.

Had to select low regen to ensure I wasn't fishtailing when lifting off the accelerator but otherwise the X-Ice performed well. I'm sure R2's would have performed better but given how infrequently this happens in southern Ontario and how often the highways are bare, I think for my drive I might actually prefer the X-Ice 3 and would put them on sooner and take them off later in the seasons, leaving Pilot Sport 4S for only warm weather.

No need to reduce my deductible :)

It's extremely frustrating when you are in the heat of the moment and losing traction on a hill with other cars behind you. It's not a situation that's conducive to using optimal technique but if you were, kudos to you.

The worst conditions I encountered today were likely from salt on the road having melted ice/snow only to have that re-freeze. That's challenging for many cars/tires. On residential roads with more snow, you can also encounter ice ruts from thaw/freeze periods and/or the use of salt while it's snowing.These can stop you in your tracks or bounce you around.

I used to have BFG 315/70R/17's that made winter driving fun in 4WD despite not being a winter tire. Nokian's might have made a difference for you but they can't perform miracles. Sounds like you had the right idea with chill mode etc.and tire pressure was good for the conditions. You could probably have lowered it to 30psi or even lower and tried that as well in a bind if you were that close to home and could re-inflate again.

There are no circumstances when overinflating tires will help you get more traction. That's why it's associated with slightly higher fuel economy.

While some winter tires lose their effectiveness fairly quick, the Nokians are also noted for keeping it almost right down to the quick.

Studded Nokians would be awesome but they are only legal in northern Ontario. Some feel that should be revisited given newer tire technologies.

"The Hakkapelita 8s are high-tech winter driving tools, with lightweight studs that are set in a multilayered tire casing. The base of the metal studs are set in a soft inner layer that acts as a shock absorber, cushioning the blow when the studs strike a hard surface. This helps the studs grip better, and reduces road damage." (Globe & Mail)

I'd seriously like to try these. They would be a good combo if you were comfortable doing a lot of tire changes yourself and using only in inclement periods. Not sure how likely you'd be to receive a fine in those scenarios. I would hope not as they are much safer. Though I'm getting ahead of myself as I will need to start thinking of summer wheels soon and possibly selling the MXM4's for 19" Pilot Sport 4S.

This is a great post. Every tire has trade-offs. I agree and rather doubt the Nokian R3 would miraculously solve these exact conditions. It's a lot of money to experiment. It's well known the the R3 will beat an X-Ice in some conditions. They are both noted as having poor wet traction and sounds like that's where the OP suffered.

I didn't know about the soft rubber Idea for studs. That's pretty cool. The studs will probably last longer too. Studs are known to really reduce dry braking, I'd be curious how these new studded Nokian's do on that. You have to consider noise too. I've seen a few less than happy posts on Model 3 owners with R3's being pretty noisy. It may be worth it to get around though. Studs will be surely noisier.

If it is illegal to have studs I'd pass on that. I think getting your hands on R3's at this time of year will be tough. It might be a learning process to learn how to get the car moving in these conditions (ideally with our errors).

The errors are what bugs me though. Does the OP have a defect? Is there a firmware Bug? Did the OP not choose the best method of getting the car moving in these conditions?

With X-Ice3 on a RWD LR M3 I was able to drive mostly anywhere without getting stuck; however, on local unplowed roads it seemed like it would occasionally get stuck (especially when turning) with several centimeters of snow. It took me some time to realize that if I put my car in "Chill" mode, with slip start, and slightly nudge the accelerator, I can get out of tricky spots. The key wasn't to rotate the steering wheel, as it doesn't really help much if its stuck, but rather to slightly go reverse, and then forward... a really interesting experience...

I've had many FWD with Snows and AWD/RWD with snows. It sure is nice to have the steered wheels powered.
When they aren't powered they become a liability ;)

I'd love see to more tests with RWD vs AWD and various snow tires.

I've seen a lot fluffy snow tests and pure ice tests but not much of the common conditions you run into.
Like near frozen slush, hail on top of packed snow (ball bearings) etc. stopped on a hill.

Is it possible there's a software issue when using Xice3? I get constant fishtailing on turns in my RWD LR, even in chill mode and conservative driving. No errors like OP though. Just the traction control flashing that its working. I was able to get out of my unplowed street though it was really slow with wheels spinning a lot. My neighbors AWD Venza couldnt get out of their driveway though, so there's that.

I like that the Xice3 are quiet and efficiency is good, I barely felt any difference between these and the stock all-seasons 18"s.

Given the onslaught of Snowmageddon in the GTA area.. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents that X-Ice snow tires are terrible.

Picked them up in November - and this is probably the second fairly big snow storm in the East End.

First time I thought it was an anomaly.
But I just spent 15 minutes driving about 200'. I live on a fairly steep hill, but never encountered any problems with the Nokian line. Got to the point where traction control, regen and some other stuff through up errors on the screen.

So I'll be hunting for some Nokians asap.

Has anyone had luck with the X-Ice in heavy, wet, greasy snow?

I have X-Ice tires on RWD Aeros and haven't had any issues. I previously got stuck in snow on a small hill with the stock tires.

Have you verified that the tires are mounted with the arrows going the correct direction? The X-Ice tires for our cars are directional. I saw one report from someone who had them mounted backwards and said traction was awful. It's a long-shot, I know.

Reactions: mswlogo
I have X-Ice tires on RWD Aeros and haven't had any issues. I previously got stuck in snow on a small hill with the stock tires.

Have you verified that the tires are mounted with the arrows going the correct direction? The X-Ice tires for our cars are directional. I saw one report from someone who had them mounted backwards and said traction was awful. It's a long-shot, I know.
yep - it's actually the first thing I thought of. I'm thinking I might turn creep back on and see if that really slow forward momentum will help.

I have Pirelli sottozero 3 and they will not be staying. I have better luck turning traction control off and let them slip a little, reminds me of driving an old 944 in the winter. The tires are confidence destroyers and I am thinking about swapping them to one of the other sets I have.

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's on my AWD. I have been happy with their performance so far. I have noticed a bit of rear end swaying on turns but I think that's more the car design that the tires. The tires seem pretty grippy. Running around 39-40 PSI in the extreme cold. Generally I feel confident driving with these on the stock 18" aero rims. One downside (minor) is the noise. Happy to live with the annoyance if the winter performance is there. In dry conditions the tires are awesome and feel pretty sporty.
Bought and installed from Kal Tire for $1391 taxes in.

I have Pirelli sottozero 3 and they will not be staying. I have better luck turning traction control off and let them slip a little, reminds me of driving an old 944 in the winter. The tires are confidence destroyers and I am thinking about swapping them to one of the other sets I have.
I have that set on right now. Do you mind elaborating on how they underperform in the snow?