Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-social behaviour at Tesla SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A muppet at Scotch Corner yesterday evening, having completed his charging, just unplugged his car and left it in the bay thus blocking any further occupant. Obviously he was well aware of what he was doing so as to avoid the overstay penalty.

The staff saw what he had done and asked him to move!

Tesla have the telemetry to deal with this. After unplugging, you have 5 minutes to put the vehicle in park and move...
If it becomes common, I suspect they'll deal with it. The same way as leaving it plugged in has been dealt with
I would suspect it's not that simple from a privacy perspective. Tesla only have access to your location data if there is a 'Safety Critical Event' i.e. an accident. Other than that the location data is not linked to a specific car or owner see Obtain a Copy of the Data Associated With Your Tesla Account | Tesla Support United Kingdom

Sure, Tesla could change the Privacy Terms, but it's kind of invasive to be tracking your customers. I can't see it happening.

I would suspect it's not that simple from a privacy perspective. Tesla only have access to your location data if there is a 'Safety Critical Event' i.e. an accident. Other than that the location data is not linked to a specific car or owner see Obtain a Copy of the Data Associated With Your Tesla Account | Tesla Support United Kingdom

Sure, Tesla could change the Privacy Terms, but it's kind of invasive to be tracking your customers. I can't see it happening.
Agreed it probably won't happen but technically they don't need location data just the fact that the car completed charging and has not been put into drive and the motor engaged should be enough in theory to apply over stay penalties. The odd person whose car picks that moment to die on them would obviously need to be able to appeal....

It should also be possible to report someone with a photo of the offending vehicle but this would not work as well for non Tesla's and would also require actually human admin so is unlikely.

The car could easily self report without giving away location info away. Being unplugged from a supercharger and then not moving would be incredibly simple to spot without getting into gps location tracking shenanigans. I bet the car could even just update the back end billing system with an unplugged dwell time to enable Tesla to bill you for it.

Reactions: pow216
Coincidentally I witnessed the same thing yesterday evening at Charlotte Street Car Park in Bath where there are 3x Geniepoint 50kW chargers. I parked up adjacent to another Tesla that was charging, leaving one charger spare. Owner of said Tesla returned a few minutes after I had settled in watching Netflix as didn't fancy leaving the car, they unplugged and then proceeded to sit in the car for the next 40 minutes or so playing with their phone. Alas I didn't want to say anything as they were a lone female and it was around 9pm in the evening and hardly anyone about. Fortunately no other EVs arrived during this time.

Agreed it probably won't happen but technically they don't need location data just the fact that the car completed charging and has not been put into drive and the motor engaged should be enough in theory to apply over stay penalties. The odd person whose car picks that moment to die on them would obviously need to be able to appeal....

It should also be possible to report someone with a photo of the offending vehicle but this would not work as well for non Tesla's and would also require actually human admin so is unlikely.
They don't collect that data either.

Personally I suspect this is a fairly rare event, and its really a violation of the parking terms rather than Tesla's charging so would be up to the car park operator to enforce. It's no different to an ICE blocking a stall. Tesla don't generally own the parking spaces. ParkingEye would probably love to sell people a solution.

ust unplugged his car and left it in the bay thus blocking any further occupant.
Plug it back in for him as a courtesy.

You don't need the key to be in range at a Supercharger so you can use the button on the handle to open the charge port. I occasionally do it as a favour for people who have parked at a Supercharger but clearly forgotten to plug in*. After all, I'd hope someone would extend me the same kindness.

*they couldn't possibly have just used it as free and easy parking, surely?

They don't collect that data either.

Personally I suspect this is a fairly rare event, and its really a violation of the parking terms rather than Tesla's charging so would be up to the car park operator to enforce. It's no different to an ICE blocking a stall. Tesla don't generally own the parking spaces. ParkingEye would probably love to sell people a solution.
The are calculating idle fees up until the point you physically unplug the cable. changing that to when you put it in drive and start to move does not seem fundamentally any different. its all data from the car. Its also all academic since it is highly unlikely to happen but I don't really see the difference myself.

Plug it back in for him as a courtesy.

You don't need the key to be in range at a Supercharger so you can use the button on the handle to open the charge port. I occasionally do it as a favour for people who have parked at a Supercharger but clearly forgotten to plug in*. After all, I'd hope someone would extend me the same kindness.

*they couldn't possibly have just used it as free and easy parking, surely?
Love this. Will keep it in mind for next time.
Sadly, no solution for open-to-all superchargers that will have a different brand blocking the stall in the same way...

The are calculating idle fees up until the point you physically unplug the cable. changing that to when you put it in drive and start to move does not seem fundamentally any different. its all data from the car. Its also all academic since it is highly unlikely to happen but I don't really see the difference myself.
Or lets apply the same concept to SCs once you unplug the car...

• Funny
Reactions: speedyranger74
Such politeness indeed towards someone abusing the charging site. Here in the colonies, first time offenders would likely have their cars keyed. In certain parts of major cities, the returning owner would find their vehicle completely stripped and up on blocks, which, by the way, can be done in only minutes by a skilled crew.

I don't think that's entirely true for most users. If you accept nothing on the privacy screen, then functionality such as online routing, battery estimates, etc all stop working.
In addition, Tesla know where your car is when you charge, because your car has to handshake and they need billing records. Monitoring your car move into drive and move away does not seem to be wildly invasive. It depends how often it happens I guess...
Obviously third party cars are more difficult, but these are generally less congested chargers

A muppet at Scotch Corner yesterday evening, having completed his charging, just unplugged his car and left it in the bay thus blocking any further occupant. Obviously he was well aware of what he was doing so as to avoid the overstay penalty.

just go and plug him in. you will be doing a favour. same as WIIXM said.

Must be a sad person to want to spend any extra time at that SC location, always busy and nothing much to do round there.

It is down to the car parking management to deal with these things which in this case they did, but on the signs it should say about needing to charge in order to park and staff could go around and check/issue fines where applicable.

In the future we will see more fast chargers where people who want to hang out in Holidays Inns can park so not to disturb people who are in a rush!