Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticlockwise Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
id check out charging options at Miriam Vale just south of Gladstone, good timing for a pit stop and the mud crab sandwiches are the best in the country. Its a family ritual for us.
Or a coffee with any of the home made cake goodness at The Big Giraffe Cafe, a bit further up the road at Bororen. They definately should get a destination charger so we can pretend we're there for electrons and not the yummy eating.

KT you've got me itching to drive north now...

Wow ! ! !

After week on week of hot outback landscapes, what do we see? Yes - an endless vista of green pastures !
20160907_154320.jpg
(Northampton area - sounds English and to us at least, does seem a bit that way)

More green and historic buildings.
20160907_164732~01.jpg

Time to get out the long pants and fleece jacket too.

After weeks of trying and 1000 sightings we (John) finally get the Wedge Tailed Eagle shot (this one from the outback a few days ago).
DSCN2228.JPG

Aquila Audax = Bold Eagle. These guys will often stay on the road guarding their prey and (rightly) expect motorists to keep their distance.

Indian Ocean
20160908_072621.jpg

20160908_100916.jpg

The Pinnacles ...
BH.png

Unlike @Blue heaven , we could only get in on foot :(.

And finally Perth ! ! 2/3 of the way round.
20160908_152217.jpg

Tessie is sooooo excited by the Electric Highway (first DC charge since Brissie). She wants to visit all of them even though they're spaced just 50km apart !

John is flying home this morning, and I'm in Perth for a week including 3 days in the office, then the Adventure will resume!

Reactions: baillies
More than one person has asked how we ended up being completely unable to charge Tessie at a roadhouse that had 32A 3ph, 15A and 10A outlets available, especially given my earlier post:
We have 13 ways of harvesting electrons - are we overprepared? I hate the idea of getting stuck!
DC: Supercharger, Chademo
AC 3ph: 32A, HPWC, Type 2, 20A, 10A
AC 1ph: 32A, J1772, twin 15A, twin 10A, single 15A, single 10A

Well that's a long story (if you are not really into charging solutions please read no further) and still a bit of a mystery ...

Apart from superchargers / HPWC's (no hardware reqd), Chademo (Tesla adapter), and J1772 (separate adapter) our setup was based on the Maxicharger EVSE and its interchangeable tails:
20160909_101432~01.jpg

It's a really neat system where you just pick in the tail you want, and it automatically regulates the car's maximum charging current to suit the outlet you are charging from - very safe, and you don't have to be a tech head to use it. Apparently Maxicharger have previously never had one return from a customer anywhere in the world, and we carried TWO Maxicharger units to be 100% sure - after all we could leave one behind, run over one or whatever. Did we need my UMC? Not really I thought, as it will only do 10 A (which I have a tail for anyway) and why get the UMC 3 phase adapter kit when we have 2 Maxichargers? So the UMC stayed at home to save space!

So what happened?
  • On single phase 10A, 15A and 32A (including 15+15) never a problem. Sometimes at a caravan park on the end of a run the voltage could get down to 185V - the lowest a Tesla can take, and the Maxicharger was still 100% reliable, and we did a LOT of single phase charging.
  • On 3 phase 20 A and Type 2 - no problems (although not many sites admittedly).
  • On 3 phase 32A - no problems (apart from sometimes multiple attempts to click in) for the first handful of times we used it until Maxichargers stopped functioning on 32 A 3ph, the first in Cairns (on the east coast grid), the second in Derby (on locally generated town power), and the third at Nanutarra (with its own roadhouse generator set).
The fact that we had a third unit was due to Tim at Evnomics sending a third to Darwin to give us a back up, and a fourth to Perth (which I will get tomorrow), all without having (yet) seen the returned units, and without this being covered by the supplier (who is still waiting to see the units in France). Good on you Tim - great support !

Diagnosis? Probably not going to be fully resolved till everything gets inspected in France ...
  • Power source ? Not really because the units failed on grid power, local power and site power.
  • Anything we were doing on single phase including 15 + 15 ? Not really because the first unit to fail was in my 3 phase carry case and had not been used on single phase. Also we experienced 100% reliability on single phase.
  • Excessive voltages? We thought so at first, so after the second failure we refused to charge on any 3 phase over 240V (and some were running at 253V - close to the max allowable). However at Nanutarra the voltage was 240 exactly and we had the 3rd failure there.
  • Problem with Tessie? Untinkable! Actually she has charged fine quite a few times on 3 phase (HPWC and borrowed UMC) since Nanutarra.
  • The "killer tail" theory. The only common thing between all 3 events is this 3 phase 32 A tail. I've now marked it unmistakably as you can see, and Tim is sending another (thanks again Tim).
20160909_102339.jpg

I really don't want to put anybody off the Maxicharger here. It is a simple and flexible and reliable way to take your Tesla just about anywhere. I am certainly intending to stick with it. I have not seen anything on the market that does this job as well. Just bad timing on an isolated issue in my thinking. You will certainly not find a system with better local support!

I'll keep you posted on the final outcome.

Last edited:
Hang on there pardner...I don't quite follow. You said..."we ended up being completely unable to charge Tessie at a roadhouse that had 32A 3ph, 15A and 10A outlets available," So how could it be just a malfunction with the 32A tail? Did the tail somehow damage the Maxicharger? If you could not use 15A or 10A...did you not have 10A or 15A tails? (I think I see them in th epic, but could be wrong).

Super support from Tim, not to be ignored at any time, but especially invaluable when you're out in the bush.

Definitely carrying a spare but have had no problems so far apart from an extremely slow leak (less than 1 psi per day) in one rear tyre which I'll get looked at in Perth.

Road conditions for virtually the whole trip have been very good.
Rear RH tyre (Michelin Primacy 3 - original on car - Rear LH is similar) at 16,552 odometer km (mostly steady driving on good highways with self levelling suspension). Rear LH is similar. A satisfactory lifetime?
20160909_140447.jpg

I have spoken to Tesla about this and ...
  • Tesla advises wheels were factory aligned. Does this appear to be the case?
  • Tesla advises that there are no replacement Primacy 3 tyres in Australia and never have been. It seems I can go out and buy a lower speed rated Michelin or there are several other brands with the same size and load rating. I can't help thinking that Tesla has gone through a design validation process to select the Primacy 3, considering speed, load, grip, noise, wear, energy economy, handling and probably several other factors I know nothing about. How do I now (on my own) select the correct uncompromised alternative tyre for the car?

Last edited:
Your car is clearly out of alignment. That is the only way that the rear tires can wear in that pattern. Find the best tires you can locally in Perth and have an independent shop with a good alignment rig at least measure all the angles. I think you will find that it is cambered slightly top-in and toe-out. Then, find out from Tesla what the alignment spec is and have it corrected before you leave Perth. Finishing your trip without fixing the alignment will just tear up another set of tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue heaven
Richard dont know if you saw my posting on the UMC. You can connect 3 single phase supplies to the UMC with correct resistor between pilot & E. It starts taking current from L1 and once you hit 16A it will fire up L2 and evenly split current between L1 & L2 eg 8A each. I havent tried this but logically once you hit 32A total it should fire up L3 to give roughly 10A each line up to 13A each. You need to get solar MC male fitings to fit the pins in the UMC L1 L2 L3 & N but E & pilot are smaller. Get the fittings from a solar shop. This may help you on your way home. L1 L2 L3 feed individual chargers so shouldnt be able to back feed male plugs, As you have tech knowledge you can figure out the rest,

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
Rear RH tyre (Michelin Primacy 3 - original on car - Rear LH is similar) at 16,552 odometer km (mostly steady driving on good highways with self levelling suspension). Rear LH is similar. A satisfactory lifetime?
View attachment 193778

I have spoken to Tesla about this and ...
  • Tesla advises wheels were factory aligned. Does this appear to be the case?
  • Tesla advises that there are no replacement Primacy 3 tyres in Australia and never have been. It seems I can go out and buy a lower speed rated Michelin or there are several other brands with the same size and load rating. I can't help thinking that Tesla has gone through a design validation process to select the Primacy 3, considering speed, load, grip, noise, wear, energy economy, handling and probably several other factors I know nothing about. How do I now (on my own) select the correct uncompromised alternative tyre for the car?
My tyres after 40,000 km.

IMG_20160910_084712.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN