Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ONLY thing wrong with the "torque sensing" kludge is that the sensitivity cannot be adjusted to the needs of the driver. Everyone is different (that's why people are arguing about it) and this critical component should be adjustable in software. We all know the various miseries that people experience because it isn't. Including being lectured for being imbeciles. Or worse.

But since it isn't (adjustable), then instead of bitching or not using AP, we can try to adjust the system mechanically. A touch of analog tuning.

Not aiming to defeat the safety. Please note. If a gorilla tries to drive away in my car, he will surely get Nagged to the side of the road. We need that, in this day and age. Nobody drives my Nicki without a hand on the wheel.
  • What I want is for things to work correctly, as intended. For the driver attention kludge to nag if hands are off the wheel for a while, or in tricky situations, but for the natural holding of the wheel to satisfy the detection, without requiring unnatural tugs that (in my case) knock me out of autopilot way too often.
  • I also want a quick and sensitive reaction to my "tug" if I do get distracted, say I start fiddling with the media screen, and the nag comes on and calls for a reaction. OK, ok, hand is back, but no getting knocked out of AP.
Isn't that what we all want?

It's unfortunate there's no way to adjust it on the display, but there isn't for now. It IS achievable with small weights that are placed and tested and calibrated to do exactly that. The way you tune a suspension or balance a tire. No more, no less. It may not be for you. But you don't object to those silly metal weights on your rims, do you? You do have to take the time to adjust it, figure it out. Not hanging forking coconuts from the tiller.

That adjustment just totally improves my AP experience. No comparison. It's detecting driver attention for safety, and it's very unimposing and comfortable in use. Things just work. Make sense?

Last edited:
Sure, if you want the phone implanted into your skull by the airbags.

Of course the original one was not a "phone holder". And they still sell that one there (for track use only ;)
It was never meant to hold a phone. People who buy it will most likely not use a phone, they know what its for.

Its so called a phone holder now because the govt stepped in
But at least the original, and the one I created, do not require a phone, and are not in the area where the airbags deploys. Nice try though...

Last edited:
NTSB released its report today concluding that a 2018 Model X crash was due to AP being used while the driver played games on his phone.

The NTSB’s report continues to call for stronger methods of ensuring drivers are paying attention when using AP/FSD/Level 2 vehicles and that these systems be made more resilient against mis-use by inattentive drivers. I get that none of the people here insistent on defeating Tesla’s system to catch inattentive drivers will change their behavior, but it’s worth underlining how irresponsible this behavior is and how it directly leads to life ending tragedies.

Convenient excuse. How about we blame the human, not the machine(s)

Regarding defeating the nag: when the nag becomes more burdensome than just forgoing AP use altogether have we really made progress?

That’s not a feature I’d pay for anymore.

This is perspective makes little sense in the context in which Level 2 aides are to be used. The human remains entirely responsible for the vehicle’s actions and must monitor its behavior at all times. The experts on this issue, the NTSB, recommend better “nags” precisely because they want to stop people from treating the Level 2 aides as Level 5 self driving/autonomous vehicles. Why? To prevent entirely unnecessary and avoidable deaths by people intent on misusing this technology.

It’s not an “excuse,” it’s how the technology is supposed to be used as described by the regulators of said technology (and, for whatever it’s worth, Tesla.)

If it was good enough for AP1 to not nag often as originally conceptualized, it’s good enough for AP2+. I don’t feel it’s good enough to trust like that but at the same time don’t think the nags should be as frequent nor pervasive as they are.
You don't remember people not touching their wheels for 10 minutes, and then getting into accidents? The nags are there for a reason.

Because they weren’t paying attention and trusted an unproven system with their life.

The system is exceedingly well proven if you actually use it correctly

Which means paying attention and being ready to take over immediately at any time.

So far all the (rather few) well known deaths on AP have been:

1 idiot using his phone to play games while not paying attention
3 idiots not only not paying any attention, they weren't even using it on a road it's intended to be used on.

The system wasn't the problem in ANY of those. The idiot behind the wheel was.

NTSB released its report today concluding that a 2018 Model X crash was due to AP being used while the driver played games on his phone.

The NTSB’s report continues to call for stronger methods of ensuring drivers are paying attention when using AP/FSD/Level 2 vehicles and that these systems be made more resilient against mis-use by inattentive drivers. I get that none of the people here insistent on defeating Tesla’s system to catch inattentive drivers will change their behavior, but it’s worth underlining how irresponsible this behavior is and how it directly leads to life ending tragedies.

You conveniently leave out the driver was playing a game while driving, nice. I've always stressed to pay attention,hack on or off. Playing a game can cause a crash in any vehicle by any manufacturer. The main variable of this crash is the human variable, not Tesla.

EDIT: it did mention game on a phone. I'm admitting that here before 22 people tell me the same thing. We'll see who reads....But everything else still stands

This crash is a perfect example how people still challenged me when I said using a hack, or not using a hack, is pretty much the same thing (save for a seizure) when you're not paying attention in either situation. People will probably still debate me on that but the proof is in the pudding here. Yet, people still want to put the emphasis on the hack, or Tesla, but not the driver's attentiveness....

The family here is suing. Not sure if yall saw the video, but the family lawyer (in so many words) said "Teslas car should have maintained control while the driver was playing the video game"

Last edited:
Remember. The nag was not a Tesla idea. Original Autopilot had no nag. Only when some owners began to post pictures of themselves in the back seat or eating meals with both hands, did the pressure come on Tesla to add the nags.

Whenever you are annoyed by the nag, put the blame where it belongs. On the self absorbed idiots that did not think before posting doing dangerous things while on autopilot.

Remember. The nag was not a Tesla idea. Original Autopilot had no nag. Only when some owners began to post pictures of themselves in the back seat or eating meals with both hands, did the pressure come on Tesla to add the nags.

Whenever you are annoyed by the nag, put the blame where it belongs. On the self absorbed idiots that did not think before posting doing dangerous things while on autopilot.

That's not what happened.

Way before AP was ever release there were videos of people getting in the back seat of their Lane-steering equipped vehicles. I believe the first was done in an Infiniti.

When AP was released the very first "back seat video" was done by WK057 (probably one of the smartest guys on this forum) to demonstrate it being done in safe conditions, and to send a message to Tesla that there were some weaknesses in the system.

Nothing really changed with AP until the fatality accident in Florida.

As a result of that along with all the media pressure (from the youtube videos, and autopilot name itself) forced Tesla to add a timed nag. Before the accident the only time the system would nag a person is if the system wasn't confident.

You conveniently leave out the driver was playing a game while driving, nice.

he did the opposite of leave it out.

It was literally the first thing you quoted him explicitly mentioning

RIF.jpg