Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any happy camper here with the price cut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a MYLR last Friday, it will be delivered next Saturday.

Could not be more pleased with the purchase. I tried to take advantage of the year-end price cuts but wasn't able to get a timely offer on my Ford Mustang Mach E (took Tesla 3 days to get me an estimate, by then all the M3s were out of stock.) Last month's false start meant I was ready to take advantage of the price cuts immediately - bought mine from inventory a few minutes after I heard the news.

My wife is terribly excited. She was hesitant to take long road trips in the MME because of the charging times, which sometimes stretched into the hours. The MYLR means we will be driving up the coast this summer to visit her family instead of flying - which is a huge benefit.

The other side of this is I can let go of my MME before it depreciates further. Ford really jacked the prices on their 2023 models, this has had the weird affect of decreasing the value of the 2022 models. While I am completely sympathetic to the plight of people who bought before Jan 12 - I lost around 18% of the value on the MME in exchange for something with more range / features for roughly the same price. Would make that trade any day of the week.

Definitely happy. Got power walls / solar here in HI 2 years ago with the goal of eventually moving to EVs. Our cars are paid off, but trading in wife's bmw, this will be her Tesla since I mostly wfh.. Going to keep my 2017 GTI as I fill that thing maybe once every two months.. now even less with the Tesla coming.

Purchased a MY 4680, ~ $68K all in, one day later prices dropped. Immediately spammed my SA to change to another MY that was in stock, LR MY white/black interior, $53,990. That same day all of the MY's below $55K were no longer on the inventory site. Glad my SA was able to switch the VINs so quickly.

Electrician coming to install the wall connector, gas is still ~$4-5 a gallon, what a time to be alive!

We test drove a MYLR yesterday and ordered a MYP. We initially planned to order a blue one but after seeing it in person changed to white.

We had planned to wait as we had a reservation on Fisker Ocean. More recently we started to consider the Model Y for the charging network but weren’t going to decide until we saw a Fisker in person. With the price drop we decided now was the time and we cancelled the Fisker reservation.

Wait, are you saying that cars are a depreciating asset and taking on a huge amount of debt for a non-essential vehicle purchase is risky?
How do we get the word out about this?
Another voice of reason. Welcome aboard neighbor to the north!

You may not have been around to see the conversations, before I gave up on trying to be the voice of reason, where I dared to suggest that financing a depreciating asset (especially a brand new car that has the worst rate of depreciation) wasn't a sound financial decision. I was attacked from every angle for daring to even mention that saving your money to pay cash for your cars and maybe even buying used to help minimize the negative impact to your overall financial picture was a wiser move. You'd think I just kicked their dog the way I was savagely and mercilessly pounced upon. As if the math isn't on my side on this one. That's what I love about math... no emotion... just numbers. People put WAY too much emotion into these types of decisions and it shows when things don't go exactly their way. I'd feel bad for them if they weren't so damn annoying about it.

It's these same people who feel like they're owed something by Tesla because they dared to lower their price after the sale the gladly took advantage of. Nobody forced them to make that purchase and I don't want future prices to go up to pay for any handouts past buyers get because that's how business works. Those handouts don't just materialize out of thin air.

You may not have been around to see the conversations, before I gave up on trying to be the voice of reason, where I dared to suggest that financing a depreciating asset (especially a brand new car that has the worst rate of depreciation) wasn't a sound financial decision. I was attacked from every angle for daring to even mention that saving your money to pay cash for your cars and maybe even buying used to help minimize the negative impact to your overall financial picture was a wiser move. You'd think I just kicked their dog the way I was savagely and mercilessly pounced upon. As if the math isn't on my side on this one. That's what I love about math... no emotion... just numbers. People put WAY too much emotion into these types of decisions and it shows when things don't go exactly their way. I'd feel bad for them if they weren't so damn annoying about it.

It's these same people who feel like they're owed something by Tesla because they dared to lower their price after the sale the gladly took advantage of. Nobody forced them to make that purchase and I don't want future prices to go up to pay for any handouts past buyers get because that's how business works. Those handouts don't just materialize out of thin air.
Made me think about this from a long time ago:

I'm a happy camper... Sold the MYP in June 2022 for more than I paid after 1 year and 20k miles. Bought an MX at the same time, ordered in Jan of 2021 so the current price is still considerably higher than what I had paid for it. I'm actually considering buying another MXP to replace my Raptor while I wait for the Cyber truck now.

I'm happy and excited for Tesla adoption. The cars are back down to the prices of when I ordered my MYLR. Love seeing the MYP price come down so much. I've been on the fence about getting MPP Comfort Coilovers and the $2k Acceleration Boost. The lower priced MYP makes it harder, but it's SO close to the price limit for the tax credit. I'm still not sure the IRS won't waffle on their SUV definitions. If the MYP becomes eligible, I have a hard time not ordering. Of course my car's value plummeted, so I may have to trade my wife's car in. She always trying to steal my car anyway!

The smartest and most financially sound way to own a car is to never buy one new, always pay cash, and get one used that's about 5 or 6 years old. After the 5 year mark vehicles tend to get much cheaper and have had a lot of their depreciation. I don't take this advice because I enjoy cars and am a car enthusiast. The advice is true non the less.

I have found though that most of the time, though very frustrating, when people ask for advice they don't really want advice or sound reasoning. They want someone else to tell them what they want to hear so that they can rationalize and justify what they already had their mind made up to do anyway. 😁

I am not upset, you haven't lost anything unless you sell it. I will continue to drive and enjoy it. Mine has USS and Brembo brakes in the rear + the AMD Ryzen and HEPA. Does one need anything else?

The smartest and most financially sound way to own a car is to never buy one new, always pay cash, and get one used that's about 5 or 6 years old. After the 5 year mark vehicles tend to get much cheaper and have had a lot of their depreciation. I don't take this advice because I enjoy cars and am a car enthusiast. The advice is true non the less.

I have found though that most of the time, though very frustrating, when people ask for advice they don't really want advice or sound reasoning. They want someone else to tell them what they want to hear so that they can rationalize and justify what they already had their mind made up to do anyway. 😁

I am not upset, you haven't lost anything unless you sell it. I will continue to drive and enjoy it. Mine has USS and Brembo brakes in the rear + the AMD Ryzen and HEPA. Does one need anything else?
Check my sig line... all 7 previous (and current) Model S bought 3-4 years old for that very reason. People also ask me and I try to give them advice but the problem is that true sound advise based on first-hand wisdom isn't the secksi get rich quick scheme they're looking for. They don't hear what they want to hear so that don't listen. Their destined to give their life away paying lending intuitions interest.

Whatever. Someone has to prop up the economy since we don't actually produce anything anymore.

This Y will be the first new vehicle I've bought in an awfully long time because now I can afford it plus this particular situation will likely yield a rare opportunity to own a brand new car for a year or more and not lose money on it at the time of sale. I'm providing financial advice but I've got a pretty solid track record over the decades of not losing money on cars to draw from. While nobody can guarantee that, this one feels pretty solid.

Let's not lose sight of all of the features that were previously option-for-a-fee that are now standard. In a time when every other manufacturer is nickel and diming buyers to death with endless options and upcharges Tesla is improving these options and then including them as standard equipment.
In addition, they added a bunch of features that dwarf things like passenger side lumbar support adjustment:
  • Bigger main battery (+6 kWh)
  • Li-ion low voltage battery
  • Bioweapon defense mode
  • Ryzen processor
  • Comfort suspension
  • 10 miles of extra range due to better efficiency
  • Cargo cover
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Better rear door emergency release

I have found though that most of the time, though very frustrating, when people ask for advice they don't really want advice or sound reasoning. They want someone else to tell them what they want to hear so that they can rationalize and justify what they already had their mind made up to do anyway.
And then they get angry at Tesla LOL. Got to love that affirmation. And let's not forget the equally inane noise of people predicting the future based on what they want to happen.

Last edited:
In addition, they added a bunch of features that dwarf things like passenger side lumbar support adjustment:
  • Bigger main battery (+6 kWh)
  • Li-ion low voltage battery
  • Bioweapon defense mode
  • Ryzen processor
  • Comfort suspension
  • 10 miles of extra range due to better efficiency
  • Cargo cover
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Better rear door emergency release
You left out:
  • Laminated double pane glass
  • Many solid interior surfaces now carpeted to help insulate both noise and heat transfer
  • Better headliner material
  • Better button indication labels for door release is more apparent for first timers
  • Type C USB ports are more future-proof
  • 128gb USB drive now included (I think this is new anyway)
  • Windshield nozzles x2 instead of 1 per arm for better fluid distribution
  • Monochromatic door cards (no more "killer whale" in the white/black interiors)
  • Microfiber door card inserts look/feel better than the previous plasticky ones
  • Factory darkened (not technically tint) rear windows

There's probably more but the important take-away is that they addressed lots of the main complaints that people had with Model Y so the overall experience will be noticeably improved thanks to all of these little improvements.

This also marks the first time in a while we've seen a massive hardware update. The battery day where these 4680 cells were announced was filled with LOTS of talk about dramatically improved power density/delivery and weight savings. So far, we're seeing roughly the same range and performance numbers. Don't be surprised if we see some software updates in the future that at least add more range, possibly even slightly more performance ala cars of the past that also had benchmark changes in hardware that was later "unlocked" via software updates once it was ready for prime time. Each time new hardware is introduced it increases the likelihood that previous versions will be left out of software advancements at some point.

IMO this is a killer deal not only because of the discount but also because it includes the lengthy list of improvements above. This isn't some long-in-the-tooth version that's been around for a while that they're trying to clear inventory on. It represents some of the latest innovations that a company known for innovations has to offer AND it's $13k less than it was last week.

I see current owners complain about the financial aspect, which sucks to be sure, I'd be even more upset about the updates that were missed out on than the money. Something similar happened with Model S/X shortly after the Palladium launched. Them the brakes! If you don't like it and insist on buying new, better get something from a legacy manufacturer that only makes changes every 4 or 5 years. I hope Tesla doesn't become like that in my lifetime. I love that they're not only incredibly innovative but still nimble enough to implement those incremental changes on the assembly lines in weeks, not years.

Progress in so many ways AND at a lower price. If I was a competitive manufacturer I'd be a little more uneasy today.

Status
Not open for further replies.