Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 Owner Cyclists?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mannix

Supporting Member
Oct 2, 2016
California
Has anyone who has taken delivery of their model 3 tried to put a road bicycle in the back? I know that it should fit length wise, but given the height constraints, any difficulty sliding it in? Does it require taking off the front wheel?

I have a 56 cm Trek Domane and being able to carry the bike easily is a major factor for me.
Thanks!

Someone already mentioned that it fits, but I cannot find it now. I too am a cyclist and 56" fits in S with plenty of space. I am curious to see how that plays in somewhat narrower and smaller trunk opening in 3.

Taking delivery tomorrow and will show pics. Have a Cannondale Synapse.
Looking forward to that since I have a couple of Cannondale Synapse's. Only need one to fit though:)

Would also like to have the option of a bike roof rack with the cameras and radar preventing me from driving into the garage with the bike still on. Now that would be a cool feature! And no I've never done that.

Has anyone who has taken delivery of their model 3 tried to put a road bicycle in the back? I know that it should fit length wise, but given the height constraints, any difficulty sliding it in? Does it require taking off the front wheel?

I have a 56 cm Trek Domane and being able to carry the bike easily is a major factor for me.
Thanks!
Not a road bike, and probably bigger than one.
DPGlVi3VwAAZuji.jpg

Last edited:
Not a road bike, and probably bigger than one.
View attachment 271114
Compared to a hatchback, putting or extracting a bicycle must be quite painful,
as you need to hold the full weight of the bicycle near the fork
while sliding the bicycle above the floor mat.

But the main issue is that you can certainly only carry one bicycle.

I cannot wait for the Model Y.

Last edited:
Has any Model 3 owners tried bicycle-mounts like this? https://www.autovoordeelshop.nl/media/catalog/product/t/h/thule_raceway_992_3.jpeg We might order a Model 3 soon and using roofrack is not an option since my fiance is not strong enough to lift the bikes that high. In our Model S we can easily fit a bike with seats down, but we have both gotten electric bikes now that are a bit larger and heavier than our regular bikes so getting them inside Model 3 is not a good option. Also in winter we have studded tires on the bikes which makes getting bikes in and out of the car a troublesome affair.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Has any Model 3 owners tried bicycle-mounts like this?
thule_raceway_992_3.jpeg

We might order a Model 3 soon and using roofrack is not an option since my fiance is not strong enough
to lift the bikes that high. In our Model S we can easily fit a bike with seats down,
but we have both gotten electric bikes now that are a bit larger and heavier than our regular bikes
so getting them inside Model 3 is not a good option.
Also in winter we have studded tires on the bikes which makes getting bikes in and out of the car a troublesome affair.
Attaching a bicycle holder seems a simple solution.

I am worrisom about the paint which is not very thick, even if you get a premium color (I already get bad experiences getting scratches).

You also lost access to the trunk when the bicycle is attached, it would be too heavy to lift, especially all the way up.

When there is no bike, the Model 3 trunk raised up very high which can be an issue in a garage with the bike holder staying installed.

I don't think you'd like to remove after each use while it could be a good prevention against theft (Cost $350).

However I'd rather install an hitch especially with heavy electric bikes, as I imagine you might have two bicycles (or pedelec).

Model3 - Hitch Bike Holder 01 .jpg

Last edited:
Thx for your reply. I thought about getting the Thule clip-on or similar which can be installed and removed very fast and easily so I will remove it after use. I plan to stuff inn som silicone-pads, rubber etc to protect the paint better.

Mountain biker here. I put the bike inside the car with front wheel off. Best way to transport in my opinion. Of course if you need to transport 2 you have to get a rack. I would never use one of those trunk mounted racks, especially for e-bikes...hassle to put on, risk of damage to car, no way to lock bike to car. Get a hitch if you must use a rack.

Reactions: NeverFollow

Thanks!
I take my front wheel off. I lay a Mexican blanket in back, and pull it gently forward with bike.