Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S owners with an infant / toddler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had ours for almost 4 years since our little one was an infant and its been great. I'm quite tall and have never had any issues with space in it. The flat floor in the back makes it very easy for them to walk in from one side to sit on the other.

Surprised you didn't get the 3rd row, that comes in quite handy from time to time.

I did get some seat protectors to go under the car seats and keep the leather in good shape.

CONS
pointy rear doors (opening it wide requires good clearance on the sides)

This is a big deal as they get older. Have to teach them to be very careful opening the door in a parking lot. I put carpet on the walls in the garage to prevent any issues in there.

We got our S about 4 years ago, so it's handled our son's travel needs since he was 4 days old up through his current 3 years old. Absolutely perfect vehicle for the task. I wanted something with a lot of space, but not an SUV or van. Something fun to drive when I'm on my own was also high on the list. Mine is from before they started shrinking the frunk, so the stroller can ride up front.

Another key detail is that I'm rather tall at 6'3" and didn't want to tolerate moving my seat to accommodate a rear car seat. I was able to find car seats that, when installed in the center position, nestle between the two front seats making it possible to use the full range of front seat legroom for both front passengers. (Infant: Chicco Keyfit 30, Toddler: Clek Fllo). We still have him rear-facing at 3 without space problems, and we can seat two adults in the rear with him.

It's not all roses: the rear door ports are relatively small, so ingress/egress is trickier than it needs to be. The lack of rear cupholders is a problem. I'm not sure the current rear cupholders in newer models would help much, as that's where a child's feet would go once they're forward-facing.

Even 4 years later, I'd buy one again. There's nothing else that checks all the boxes for me.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA and DIL
Anyone using the center rear seat with LATCH connectors for an infant car seat? The Model S (and Model 3 for that matter) manual seems to suggest only using LATCH with the outboard left/right seats but the center seat is safest away from curtain airbags. Also center car seat position gives more space to front seats. Our Uppa Baby Mesa Car Seat fits perfectly well and tight in the middle or outboard seats.

Any one using an infant car seat in the middle witch LATCH? Latch seems way more secure than the Lap Belt

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Anyone using the center rear seat with LATCH connectors for an infant car seat? The Model S (and Model 3 for that matter) manual seems to suggest only using LATCH with the outboard left/right seats but the center seat is safest away from curtain airbags. Also center car seat position gives more space to front seats. Our Uppa Baby Mesa Car Seat fits perfectly well and tight in the middle or outboard seats.

Any one using an infant car seat in the middle witch LATCH? Latch seems way more secure than the Lap Belt
I cannot use the latch for center as I already use it on the outboard seat and 2 buckle won’t fit in the same latch. However, I don’t see any reason why it cannot be done.

The seat belt is actually stronger as many car seat tells you that you must use he seat belt over a certain weight. You do need a seat with a clip to make it feel tight though.

My wife has a Doona (the infant seat that converts to a stroller). It is tough to put the carrier into the middle seat for her - she is short. The infant seat hits the drivers seat if I drive. We will be getting an X in a couple of months. I hear they are great for infant seats.

We have a Prius (classic) and MS with a 2.5 YO toddler now. We've had the MS (with the old pano (sun) roof, for reference) for one year, so I'm commenting from 18 mo. to 30 mo. The much lower height plus the greater car width (so you have to reach in further) make it a lot harder to get a child in, especially a bigger toddler as the ceiling is pretty low in the MS (and tapers back dramatically toward the rear) and you have to reach in fairly far (assuming that you are putting the carseat in the safest position in the middle, which you should be). It would be fairly easy in the right or left seat, but less safe per crash research.

A MX would obviously be ideal and brilliant, but that's a whole different price league. Once we move to a booster seat, it should be a whole lot easier, and so it is only a temporary issue. I assume we'll make that switch around 36-42 mo.

It is actually a lot easier to get a baby into a rear-facing carseat than a front-facing carseat.

I cannot use the latch for center as I already use it on the outboard seat and 2 buckle won’t fit in the same latch. However, I don’t see any reason why it cannot be done.

The seat belt is actually stronger as many car seat tells you that you must use he seat belt over a certain weight. You do need a seat with a clip to make it feel tight though.

Thanks this is good info. I’ll be sticking to center position for the infant. I’ll try out the seat belt tightening and compare that to center position LATCH.

I feel much better to be placing the car seat in the middle. Win win win. Better for baby, better for both parents in the front, and better for anyone seated in the back.

Pros:
  • 17” Display with Slacker and tons of kids music and album art. They will love it.
  • Easter eggs
  • Autopilot (hopefully you get it). Kids love to watch the car drive itself.
Cons:

• Bending down to get the kids out. Easier in an SUV.
  • The new Easy exit Mode isn’t so great with kids in the back as it tends to push on their legs. Yes, this is adjustable, but then defeats the whole purpose of the feature.

We usually take the MS over my wife’s Infiniti QX60 since the car is more enjoyable to drive and we aren’t wasting gas.

We have a maxi cosi with ISO base. Rear facing. I can't install it behind the driver's seat as it takes up too much room and I wouldn't be able to drive with it. This was a bit of a suprise at the time, always thought the MS was quite roomy!

Only other thing I would say is that the ISOfix points are not in the easiest place to use. They are fine if you just leave the child seat base there, but I get the impression it would be easy to tear the rear seat if you have to remove and reinstall the base a lot.

Did you not get any of the isofix guides with your child seat? They're little plastic collars that stay in position in the car. The isofix goes into the collar and then engages – doesn't touch the leather at all.

We are past the big car seat stage. You can't beat a sliding door for a minivan, but I'm glad to be past that now. We traded in an Odyssey for the S. We have 4 and 6 year olds. They will both be tall which is one reason we opted for the S instead of the 3. We use the Cosco booster which also is narrow enough for the seat belt. The grey/black looks good with the base black interior.

I also use seat belt extenders and have a cover for the back seat. I will say using seat belt extenders effectively disables the Tesla's ability to detect and unbuckled seat.

Chill mode is your friend when the kids are in the car to prevent them getting car sick.