Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news/rumors of SoCal supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that they chose Union Bank. For one, there isn't a whole lot of parking available there and it is a congested lot. I could see spots getting ICE'd pretty frequently. Also, it's a bit further from the freeway than the spot I had scouted out, but still very reasonable.

I was down that way a week ago to try out a coffee shop. it was difficult to get in and out of the area because of the construction on Ortega Hwy. Not sure how long that will be going on.

Yeah, the Ortega exit has always been a mess. Should be better after construction is done. I'm guessing less than a year.
Also, if you take the next exit south past Ortega (cam capistrano), its a lot easier.

Field report... I did a "drive by" of the Union Bank today. No markings yet on any spaces but ALL the parking spots in this pic are union bank parking including the ones on the left of the pic. The businesses on the left are the back of those businesses and the parking is reserved for union bank.

Bottom line is that there is a lot of excess parking.

This is a good location (imo). There's lots of restaurants including fast food and upscale ones.

image.jpg

Field report... I did a "drive by" of the Union Bank today. No markings yet on any spaces but ALL the parking spots in this pic are union bank parking including the ones on the left of the pic. The businesses on the left are the back of those businesses and the parking is reserved for union bank.

Bottom line is that there is a lot of excess parking.

This is a good location (imo). There's lots of restaurants including fast food and upscale ones.

I wonder how full the lot gets during business hours...

I wonder how full the lot gets during business hours...

Yeah... I drove by there yesterday around 6pm and the lot was pretty damn full and the bank was closed. There could be some ICEing occurring at this location. We'll need to see what part of the lot they use and how bad it'll be. The supercharger signage certainly discourages most "normal" people from parking in the spots.

i couldn't get the OC govt site to show any permits for anything...

The rumored location is within the San Juan Capistrano city limits, so I've been using their site, here:

eTRAKiT Search

My strategy has been to search by permit numbers. For instance, permits are currently being issued with numbers that start with B13-08, so you can search for that. It's limited to returning 100 results, so it's not effective to search for everything beginning with B13. (I'm assuming it will be a B permit, but I could be mistaken.) Fortunately, they only are issuing around 100 B permits per month, so it's not that much data to go through.

The rumored location is within the San Juan Capistrano city limits, so I've been using their site, here:

eTRAKiT Search

My strategy has been to search by permit numbers. For instance, permits are currently being issued with numbers that start with B13-08, so you can search for that. It's limited to returning 100 results, so it's not effective to search for everything beginning with B13. (I'm assuming it will be a B permit, but I could be mistaken.) Fortunately, they only are issuing around 100 B permits per month, so it's not that much data to go through.

thanks!! Yer good... ;-)

thanks!! Yer good... ;-)

AC13-027ARCHITECTURAL CNTRLTesla Charging Stations at Union Bank31971 CAMINO CAPISTRANO LS08/02/2013
Looks like it was approved 8/8/13
Details - Project# AC13-027
Project Info
Site Info
Contacts (1)
Inspections
Conditions
Reviews

Project#:AC13-027
Type:ARCHITECTURAL CNTRL
Subtype:COMMERCIAL
Planner:Laura Stokes
Applied Date:8/2/2013
Approved Date:8/8/2013
Closed Date:8/8/2013
Expired Date:
Description:

Address:31971 CAMINO CAPISTRANO Map View
world_24_hot.gif
City, State, Zip:SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, CA, 92675
Assessor PIN or Tax Lot No.: 121-150-17
Subdivision:
Tract:
Block:
Lot: 37
Sect-Twp-Rng: 0-0-0
Lot Size (SF): 35000

Looks like it was approved 8/8/13
Details - Project# AC13-027

Thanks for finding this. I think we will also probably see a building permit attach to this at some point. For reference, the project number for the CHAdeMO in SJC was AC12-011, and if you look that up, you'll see there's a building permit attached. In that case, the building permit was applied for on the same date as the project, but was not approved until several weeks after the project was approved.

No activity yet

Drove by the Union Bank location yesterday while we were in the area. No sign of activity and agree with a previous poster that this is not an ideal location. The parking lot is all cut up and not easy to maneuver in. This is not as close to the freeway as other SC locations. Compared to the Rabobank location in Atascadero this lot is about half the size. I guess we will see. Summer is almost over. I would prefer a location further south as I travel to San Diego frequently.

Drove by the Union Bank location yesterday while we were in the area. No sign of activity and agree with a previous poster that this is not an ideal location. The parking lot is all cut up and not easy to maneuver in. This is not as close to the freeway as other SC locations. Compared to the Rabobank location in Atascadero this lot is about half the size. I guess we will see. Summer is almost over. I would prefer a location further south as I travel to San Diego frequently.

Great job guys in finding the related permits!!

Yeah, we will just have to wait and see how tight the lot is. Honestly, I don't think it will be too bad. All the bank's parking lot is for "bank parking only" (or risk getting towed). I don't think it'll be a problem.

Also, freeway access really isn't too bad. Camino Capistrano is the freeway exit to the south and its not very far.
Ortega highway (74) exit to the north is messed up currently because they are redoing the bridge.

Great job guys in finding the related permits!!

Yeah, we will just have to wait and see how tight the lot is. Honestly, I don't think it will be too bad. All the bank's parking lot is for "bank parking only" (or risk getting towed). I don't think it'll be a problem.

Also, freeway access really isn't too bad. Camino Capistrano is the freeway exit to the south and its not very far.
Ortega highway (74) exit to the north is messed up currently because they are redoing the bridge.

I agree with Fred. Actually, I am thankful for any and all Superchargers, less than perfect location is fine by me.