Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to eliminate the "Traffic Aware" part of cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't like it. Honestly, I'm really disappointed in AP in general (though I read teh thread recently started about it, and yeah, in traffic I'm sure it is great). ANyway, the adaptive stuff drives me bonkers. Way too intrusive. I'm one of the "stay right except to pass" nazi's, and I carry it a whole lot further than most. So I'm not ready to move lanes when it starts slowing me down. Or if I"m letting a car pass me on the left, and I don't want to move over 100 yards before I need to. Or a car pulls out in front of me, it drastically reduces speed before I can move over. Even changing lanes, it sometimes jerks back and forth.

Is there a way to make the cruise control dumb, like conventional CC?

Reactions: mdri and BrakeDome
No, if you have autopilot or enhanced autopilot, the only option for cruise control is traffic aware cruise control. Tesla doesn’t let you select a dumb cruise control if you have autopilot. I suspect this is done to avoid confusion as to which mode you are in.

If you don’t have either autopilot option on your Tesla, you have access to a dumb/traditional cruise control.

My parents’ 2018 Toyota Camry lets you select traditional or radar (TACC) when you turn on the cruise control system. They let you choose which mode you want to use, but not in a Tesla (at least currently).

If someone figures out how, please let us know - it's mostly unusable for me due to it's insistence on braking way too often way too hard :(
Sounds like you're using TACC on undivided two-way roads. It's simply not made to do that. If you're indeed talking about AP and not TACC, you're saying that AP (which is BETA) brakes very often? I see it happen from time to time, yes, but not what I'd call very often.

From the manual:

"Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA feature."

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads,such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."

"Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing. Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves, on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) make it inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed."

Sounds like you're using TACC on undivided two-way roads.

Yeah because you can not shut it off and have regular cruise.

Based on the manual "roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing" what is the point? If it is traffic aware, is it not supposed to work with traffic changes?

Look at your display, how often are you offered the use of AP on roads clearly not intended for AP per the manual - like my neighborhood street and all manner of unfit locations.

Sounds like the old iPhone excuse - "You're holding it wrong"

AND to my point, I want cruise control w/o having to "use TACC wrong" - why is that such a hard request? I'm looking to avoid having the car's "smarts" taxed when it should not be yet that is not an option...

• Funny
Reactions: chinnam3
What you can do is change when it starts braking for other cars. On a 3, the distance is controlled by clicking the right thumbwheel to the side.

I have trouble imagining anyone not wanting to brake when distance 1 states braking, but I guess it's possible.

What you can do is change when it starts braking for other cars. On a 3, the distance is controlled by clicking the right thumbwheel to the side.

I have trouble imagining anyone not wanting to brake when distance 1 states braking, but I guess it's possible.

I already have it at 1. Problem is, if the rate of speed of a vehicle way ahead of me is very slow, it will brake very early. I mean like 15 car lenghts. If I'm just waiting for an overtaking car to get by me, it is annoying as ^%&* to have the car basically slam on the brakes a half second before I change lanes. It also doesn't fully detect that I'm either changing lanes or already have, and brakes for vehicles in an adjacent lane. Finally, when a car enters a controlled access highway from a cloverleaf of a tight entrance ramp, it will brake before I can change lanes.

Basically, it is set up for people who brake, rather than change lanes. I change lanes, rather than brake.

Additionally, it will start slowing down when teh speed differnce is not that big, and before you realize it, you are going 10 MPH more slowly, and teh car behind you that you just passed all of a sudden is overtaking you, making you look like a jerk.

I also dislike the adaptive cruise control on the model 3, I have it at one car length and it’s still “brakes” way too early. The most irritating scenario is when I’m driving normally (on a well marked lane) and a car from a side road or commercial driveway turns into my driving lane (not cutting in front of me or anything) and the autopilot system just slows down rapidly for a sec before it realizes that there was never any chance for a collision and then speeds back up. If I was the driver directly behind me when this happens, it’d piss me off that the car in front is braking for no apparent reason.

Besides the option to select dumb cruise control, I would want to be able to use LKA without the adaptive cruise. Other cars can do this, so it’s not like it’s wishful thinking.. *sigh*

Reactions: 67King
From the manual:
"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model 3 to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately."
If I had known that this warning would be invoked every time I drove over 10 miles or so, I think I would have reconsidered my purchase. I use adaptive cruise a lot, or at least I used to. My previous car was a 2012 Charger R/T with adaptive cruise and it gave a very smooth and pleasant ride. So naturally I assumed that a Tesla, of all cars on the highway, would have an excellent cruise. I recently had the opportunity to test several adaptive cruise systems from different manufacturers when shopping for a new car for my wife, and Tesla's version of it comes in dead last and then some. I give it a D-. If Chrysler can do this back in 2012 why can't Tesla in 2019?

Teslas Adaptive Cruise dead last? I don't think there is another system on the market that I would even trust to slow for other cars appropriately. Is this thread for real? I don't think I understand the issue? Do you all have some TACC system from some parallel universe? :p 6 months ago everyone was bitching about having only regular cruise control available unless they paid for autopilot.

I guess I have never used Cruise Control anywhere except on the freeway. Is this a thing lots of people do?

Teslas Adaptive Cruise dead last? I don't think there is another system on the market that I would even trust to slow for other cars appropriately. Is this thread for real? I don't think I understand the issue? Do you all have some TACC system from some parallel universe? :p 6 months ago everyone was bitching about having only regular cruise control available unless they paid for autopilot.

I guess I have never used Cruise Control anywhere except on the freeway. Is this a thing lots of people do?

I have had TACC perform unnecessary and passenger-alarming phantom braking on a 2 and 3 lane divided highway. The onscreen display shows why, the car thinks other vehicles safely to the side to be in front of it.. sigh

Maybe my car is from a broken parallel universe - just another reason to disable that ELDA permanently ! ;)

Reactions: Glamisduner
It does seem silly that Tesla could not offer regular curse to those who request it. I can kinda understand that if you have AP they want to keep the behavior consistent. If you have AP (the lower level one that comes included now) you essentially have two levels (TACC or TACC+lane keeping). Might be unwise to have dumb cruse or TACC+lane keeping as your options in the car. Correct me if I am wrong though, I have a 2018 with no AP so have never used it.

Glad I got my car last year when dumb cruse was an option, because it suits my needs better. Out of curiosity, has any recent buyer who would have preferred dumb cruse and no AP actually ask Tesla if they could get switched over by service? I realize not many would want to give that up, but a few probably do.

Reactions: mdri
i would definitely choose any adaptive cruise control (including TACC) over "dumb" cruise control any day.
Are there some occasional issues? sure, but they are more than outweighed by the annoyances of regular cruise. To give up 99% of totally fine operation for 1% (maybe) of issues seems odd to me.

Of course I think full autopilot is better than TACC. NAP on the other hand is a bit of a mixed bag. It's decent in low to moderate traffic (which is when it's added utility is probably least needed) but it's not the best in heavy traffic yet. It especially doesn't do well with cars overtaking at high differential speeds (typically speeding) Granted those driver's are always fairly annoying, but NAP is way more likely to cut them off than I would be.

Reactions: Glamisduner

Mercedes has had adaptive cruise control since the 90's, I believe. All newer premium cars have seomthing. But my point - and I ASSURE you this thread is for real - is that it does NOT slow for other cars APPROPRIATELY. It basically brake checks completely unexpectedly, and inappropriately, creating potentially dangerous situations. Honestly, I don't even want it to slow for other cars. I just want it to maintain speed, as I use CC frequently on the freeway to avoid running afoul of the Highway Patrol's revenue generation agents.

But I'm not in FSD, and I am in control of the vehicle. It shouldn't be brake checking so aggressively.

It does seem silly that Tesla could not offer regular curse to those who request it. I can kinda understand that if you have AP they want to keep the behavior consistent. If you have AP (the lower level one that comes included now) you essentially have two levels (TACC or TACC+lane keeping). Might be unwise to have dumb cruse or TACC+lane keeping as your options in the car. Correct me if I am wrong though, I have a 2018 with no AP so have never used it.

Glad I got my car last year when dumb cruse was an option, because it suits my needs better. Out of curiosity, has any recent buyer who would have preferred dumb cruse and no AP actually ask Tesla if they could get switched over by service? I realize not many would want to give that up, but a few probably do.

I was wondering the same thing since Tesla did sell cars without any AP which did have dumb cruise control. So I’m guessing the software is there to support just that on a Model 3 already and wonder if the car could be software downgraded (and maybe with the option to upgrade at a later date included paid already should someone else starts driving the car or it gets sold). Most people do want it.

• Helpful
Reactions: thimel