Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else get the heebeegebees pre paying prior to delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in order to get the new car delivered to the house, I'm told I have to prepay prior to delivery. I'm a bit freaked out laying out that much money without ever putting my eyes on the actual car. I suppose I could reject delivery and lose my deposit. I guess the only other option is to try to get a ride 135 miles to the SC and pay for it when I pick it up.For those who have done this, did it work out ok? It is convenient, I just wish I could pay the driver when he shows up with the car.

Tesla is somewhere around 80,000 cars now. Mine was around 5000, and many folks put down a 45% deposit when there were no cars shipping. It's not a concern.

Prepaying is great, then you don't have to worry about anything going amiss when they drop it off. I'm sure if there is anything wrong with it when you get it, they'd do a great job fixing it or you could still refuse delivery.

I effectively did the same thing, using an electronic transfer the day before I was scheduled to pickup my Model S.

If I had concerns about the vehicle I was purchasing, paying the day before, the day of, or the day after delivery wouldn't change that. When I made the decision to place my order, I felt like I had all the information I needed to be confident in my purchase.

I paid in full 3 days before picking up the car via bank transfer. Got to the SC to pick up the car, and before getting in it I walked around and found a fault. One tail light had some type of separation in the plastic, which was clearly visible in direct sun, but probably not very noticeable otherwise (so I don't fault them for missing it). In an hour I had a new tail light and drove off in the car. No big deal.

When the car shows up, you can refuse delivery, or you can make a list of discrepancies and due-bill items. I did the later, with several issues on my car. After accepting delivery on Saturday, by the next Friday (6 days, but 4 business days due to a Monday holiday), the local service center had corrected everything 100%, and Tesla gave me a service loaner while they were working on it. I was super satisfied with the outcome, although getting a perfect car originally would have been preferable.

I effectively did the same thing, using an electronic transfer the day before I was scheduled to pickup my Model S.

If I had concerns about the vehicle I was purchasing, paying the day before, the day of, or the day after delivery wouldn't change that. When I made the decision to place my order, I felt like I had all the information I needed to be confident in my purchase.

That part isn't a concern at all. I ordered exactly what I wanted.
What I'm worried about, and it's really an outlier scenario, is transit damage types of things, like the guy whose car was caught in a hailstorm enroute. In that case he refused the car and reordered. I guess in the worst case that is always an option.
I expect no problems but I always like to think these things through just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

That part isn't a concern at all. I ordered exactly what I wanted.
What I'm worried about, and it's really an outlier scenario, is transit damage types of things, like the guy whose car was caught in a hailstorm enroute. In that case he refused the car and reordered. I guess in the worst case that is always an option.
I expect no problems but I always like to think these things through just in case.
( worse case scenario, not worst).

I concur with the others, they are honorable if something goes wrong.

I had a different worry- paid by EFT two days before pickup. The hour I left my house to go get my baby, my bank account still showed no withdrawl... was afraid they held it up for fraud prevention or something. Turned out just fine, just needed to wait a little longer for the balance to reflect. No concerns at all from the service center folks.

Agreed but in Arizona you have to pay before delivery. Has to do with Tesla not being able to sell cars in Arizona. Car came with temporary California plates - had to register it myself at the DMV.

Same boat here. I have to prepay in order to get delivery to my house. I paid for the car 2 weeks in advance to reduce any potential waiting time. And now I guess it's just going to show up at some point, without an official Tesla rep there to walk around with me? Will make sure to take lots of pics/documentation video of anything wrong and also show mileage on video if needed.

So in order to get the new car delivered to the house, I'm told I have to prepay prior to delivery. I'm a bit freaked out laying out that much money without ever putting my eyes on the actual car. I suppose I could reject delivery and lose my deposit. I guess the only other option is to try to get a ride 135 miles to the SC and pay for it when I pick it up.For those who have done this, did it work out ok? It is convenient, I just wish I could pay the driver when he shows up with the car.

I did not have that problem but my banker sure did. I told her I wanted to wire the money to Tesla. She looked at the amount, commented that she'd not heard of Tesla and asked if I was sure Tesla was for real. :)

In the end I FedExd them a personal check. Did that after making a high resolution color scan of the check so I can have it printed and framed.