TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anybody else get the heebeegebees pre paying prior to delivery?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by mobe, Jun 17, 2015.

1. mobe

mobe Member

So in order to get the new car delivered to the house, I'm told I have to prepay prior to delivery. I'm a bit freaked out laying out that much money without ever putting my eyes on the actual car. I suppose I could reject delivery and lose my deposit. I guess the only other option is to try to get a ride 135 miles to the SC and pay for it when I pick it up.For those who have done this, did it work out ok? It is convenient, I just wish I could pay the driver when he shows up with the car.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Tesla is somewhere around 80,000 cars now. Mine was around 5000, and many folks put down a 45% deposit when there were no cars shipping. It's not a concern.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

If you pay sight unseen, are you comfortable refusing to take delivery when you find a fault?
    If not, call and ask about inventory, then go and test drive and examine the car you'll buy.

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Prepaying is great, then you don't have to worry about anything going amiss when they drop it off. I'm sure if there is anything wrong with it when you get it, they'd do a great job fixing it or you could still refuse delivery.

5. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

I effectively did the same thing, using an electronic transfer the day before I was scheduled to pickup my Model S.

If I had concerns about the vehicle I was purchasing, paying the day before, the day of, or the day after delivery wouldn't change that. When I made the decision to place my order, I felt like I had all the information I needed to be confident in my purchase.

6. Barry

Barry Member

I would be uncomfortable with that. I paid by personal check at delivery (at the SC).

7. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

I paid in full 3 days before picking up the car via bank transfer. Got to the SC to pick up the car, and before getting in it I walked around and found a fault. One tail light had some type of separation in the plastic, which was clearly visible in direct sun, but probably not very noticeable otherwise (so I don't fault them for missing it). In an hour I had a new tail light and drove off in the car. No big deal.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

When the car shows up, you can refuse delivery, or you can make a list of discrepancies and due-bill items. I did the later, with several issues on my car. After accepting delivery on Saturday, by the next Friday (6 days, but 4 business days due to a Monday holiday), the local service center had corrected everything 100%, and Tesla gave me a service loaner while they were working on it. I was super satisfied with the outcome, although getting a perfect car originally would have been preferable.

9. mobe

mobe Member

That part isn't a concern at all. I ordered exactly what I wanted.
    What I'm worried about, and it's really an outlier scenario, is transit damage types of things, like the guy whose car was caught in a hailstorm enroute. In that case he refused the car and reordered. I guess in the worst case that is always an option.
    I expect no problems but I always like to think these things through just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

( worse case scenario, not worst).

10. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

I understand. I was confident that should there be any of those outlier scenarios, Tesla would make it right to my satisfaction.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I had a crack in the windshield for transit damage. I got a new windshield from Tesla. Again, no worries.

12. DougH

DougH Active Member

Like others have said you can refuse delivery. If there are any issues Tesla will fix them within reason.

13. mobe

mobe Member

Thanks for the replies.
    That is reassuring.
    Only 8 days to delivery.
    Probably just getting a bit antsy.

14. smsprague

smsprague Member

Paid by wire transfer 5 days before delivery no issues.

15. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Why pay early? Just bring a check. They will take it. Then you will sleep better and will have way more leverage if needed.

16. smsprague

smsprague Member

Agreed but in Arizona you have to pay before delivery. Has to do with Tesla not being able to sell cars in Arizona. Car came with temporary California plates - had to register it myself at the DMV.

17. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

I concur with the others, they are honorable if something goes wrong.

I had a different worry- paid by EFT two days before pickup. The hour I left my house to go get my baby, my bank account still showed no withdrawl... was afraid they held it up for fraud prevention or something. Turned out just fine, just needed to wait a little longer for the balance to reflect. No concerns at all from the service center folks.

18. bjwModelS

bjwModelS Member

Same boat here. I have to prepay in order to get delivery to my house. I paid for the car 2 weeks in advance to reduce any potential waiting time. And now I guess it's just going to show up at some point, without an official Tesla rep there to walk around with me? Will make sure to take lots of pics/documentation video of anything wrong and also show mileage on video if needed.

19. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I did not have that problem but my banker sure did. I told her I wanted to wire the money to Tesla. She looked at the amount, commented that she'd not heard of Tesla and asked if I was sure Tesla was for real. :)

In the end I FedExd them a personal check. Did that after making a high resolution color scan of the check so I can have it printed and framed.

20. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I don't think I slept the whole week before delivery.