Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought a "raven" Model S in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, but my gut sense is that the “plaid” motor in the race car is just some custom over-volted P motor they put together to go for the record, and that the true “plaid” production motor doesn’t exist yet, and probably won’t for a year or so.

My gut sense is the drivetrain is TM3 rear motor in front and 2 x TM3 front motors in back, also a battery upgrade with better heat management. This follows with Elon's usual develop and reuse for multiple purposes to increase manufacturing scale and spread the development costs. Carbon brakes, fatter tires and wheels to compete with Porsche, BMW M and AMG track speck cars.

So I've only put a few hundred Ks on it, but a few more comments:
It seems to use about 10% less energy on my usual routes in representative traffic. Combined with the big battery I'm looking forward to a lot more range.

The build quality is MUCH better- some of the joints between chrome window edgings on my last Tesla were terrible when I picked it up, and only got moderately better when they tried to fix it. Not this one- all the chrome bits line up beautifully.
There are several things missing- the B-pillar camera wires are silent, and the gentle bashing of the parcel shelf against its frame is gone. Paint seem perfect( I'm no expert). There are NO rattles at the moment, it just seems a better quality product now.

It's so fast I can't bear to launch it. And that's in "normal" Ludicrous mode. Pickup at 50km/h is extravagant. Reminds me of my P85DL, after the Ludicrous upgrade- I find it much more driveable with this amount of pickup and , maybe more importantly, this throttle mapping. I drive slowly/gently most of the time (avg about 173Wh/km on the P90D). Will launch it when my son is around and we find somewhere deserted. You'll probably hear the language a mile away.

The suspension is a big step forward. Either mode is more comfortable / better damped and controlled than the old air suspension and yet the car sits flatter on the road in corners. Choosing Sport makes this 2.x ton behemoth nearly chuckable. I threw it through some corners (30km/hr twisties) last night and I'm really happy. Could have gone much faster but my skills are the limiting factor, not the car.So much better than the land-barge it used to feel like. I don't think I'll take it out of Sport- fully comfortable (even on Sydney roads) in that mode. The difference between the two new modes is only mild/moderate, not massive.
The car now feels more like, say, a BMW M5 in corners than the older model. Not AS good, but close enough to tempt BMW owners to come across to EVs MUCH more than the old car.

A few other small differences
- the edges of the big screen are trimmed in a graphite colour instead of silver- less glare when the sun angle is wrong.
- the supplied three pin charger is different- has some adaptors for different plugs (not just three pin plugs), and seems to charge the car a little slower off a GPO (8km/hr)
- there is much more lumbar support in the seats
- the seats are bigger and less supportive (for my size) laterally (I'm pretty scrawny)
-the main noise is still tyre noise. It is much quieter, though- I notice that playing music at 3 or so on the volume seems loud. Maybe the sound system is different but I think the background noise is quieter so I play the music more quietly.
-the front blinkers and DRLs look different-will maybe take some photos but they look a little classier
-the steering wheel (!) and all seats are heated. Not sure there is any winter left, but I like the option to warm the passengers without using the silly resistive heater.
-can't be 100% sure, but I am pretty confident that regen is stronger- very easy to stay off the brake pedal.
-obviously HW3 and MCU2 make the screen more responsive.

It ain't perfect-
-the dashboard trim has lifted a few millimetres off the fascia adjacent to the big screen.
-the headrest seems not to be adjustable?
-lumbar support is not adjustable
-front motor whine is definitely louder below 20km/h, especially on a trailing "throttle". Doesn't worry me.
-not sure if I like the steering wheel material. Feels a bit plasticky, and makes a rubbing noise when it rubs your hand it turning! Trivial but different. And I think it's still leather?
-alcantera dash trim is gone (still on the A-pillar)
-carpet gets thinner with every new one I buy!
I would pay another 10K for luxury / richness of materials.

Of course the sunroof and ventilated seats were a known loss- I miss them only a little now, wait til summer, I guess

The cabin now seems better built, but even more
austere. It gives me the impression that they are making it more cheaply but more reliably and better designed / thought-out / mature.

Of note- it only draws 50kW off the Superchargers at St Leonards...

Bottom line- Tesla continues to make better cars, this is obvs the best yet.

-the headrest seems not to be adjustable?
-lumbar support is not adjustable

Pretty sure both are adjustable. I also couldn’t figure out on the drive back home after pick up. Turns out there some additional buttons on the side of the seat which were hard to find without looking. Once pressed you can see them show seat adjustments on the MCU. I adjusted once, saved driver profile and never touched them since. Both are electric.

My gut sense is the drivetrain is TM3 rear motor in front and 2 x TM3 front motors in back, also a battery upgrade with better heat management. This follows with Elon's usual develop and reuse for multiple purposes to increase manufacturing scale and spread the development costs. Carbon brakes, fatter tires and wheels to compete with Porsche, BMW M and AMG track speck cars.
That would make sense because the TM3 motors produce slightly less heat than the induction motors, so would be easier to cool under constant heavy load.
It seems that Porsche's perceived advantage is the ability to sustain performance for longer (eg. 100 x 0-100mph runs) rather than more traditional performance measures like quarter-mile times etc.
It really is just about bragging rights though. If there's one thing I know about my car, it's that after half dozen fast take-offs it's the driver who becomes the weakest link in the process.

That would make sense because the TM3 motors produce slightly less heat than the induction motors, so would be easier to cool under constant heavy load.
It seems that Porsche's perceived advantage is the ability to sustain performance for longer (eg. 100 x 0-100mph runs) rather than more traditional performance measures like quarter-mile times etc.
It really is just about bragging rights though. If there's one thing I know about my car, it's that after half dozen fast take-offs it's the driver who becomes the weakest link in the process.

Yeah this is the rationale I used to not postpone the purchase of the Raven performance X given the Plaid announcement. I am never ever going to track my car. I am too crap a driver and it holds not much interest to me. The Raven suspension upgrades mean it is now one of the best GT cars in the world and I will be doing multiple family interstate trips over the next few years and it seems like it will be ideal for that.

Excellent report ICUDoc, Every S I have had was better than the last so now very keen to get my next one!
Still dont have delivery date but my Model 3 is scheduled in 4 weeks so my S cant be too far behind that....
They were only ordered a week apart so will see. Keen to try out the new Raven suspension.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Also in the adaptor bag of plug-in charging stuff are two three-pin adaptors- one with the standard pins, and one with the larger earth pin for a 15amp outlet.
The smaller one will only draw 8 amps, the larger draws 12.
I don't remember the old GPO charger having a choice of two- I seem to recall it charged at 10amps no matter what?

Also in the adaptor bag of plug-in charging stuff are two three-pin adaptors- one with the standard pins, and one with the larger earth pin for a 15amp outlet.
The smaller one will only draw 8 amps, the larger draws 12.
I don't remember the old GPO charger having a choice of two- I seem to recall it charged at 10amps no matter what?

yes you received the next generation UMC, now known as "Gen2", the original UMC now called "Gen1".
Gen2 has 3 tails, 10A and 15A that plug directly into the body of the UMC, now just called "Mobile connector", I guess the "universal" is implied.
The Gen2 tails have a small circuit board embedded within it that restricts the incoming amperage to 8A and 12A for the normal 10A plug and 15A plug respectively.
You can still buy the Gen1 UMC from Tesla Richmond and use it together with the Euro-adaptor and 3phase tails to get 11kW at 32A locations.
Gen1 UMC charges at 10A, 2kW natively.

Sorry you have to wait- uncertainty is sometimes worse than knowledge.
Apart from the loss of sunroof and vent seats, the Raven absolutely shits all over my old car.
A bloody joy to drive, and if it’s possible:
TOO fast!
So, just like the Model 3 VINless- the wait will seem as nothing once you are driving.
Plz post notes after you get it.

I was due to pick up my Model S midnight silver, carbon wheels and FSD this weekend by sadly had to cancel due suspected ID compromise on a fake Tesla website and medical issues. Good luck to whosoever managed to fill in as buyer a short notice let's compare VINS!

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc