Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners: “We want a car that is always on the cutting edge of technology, as long as they don’t change anything once we get used to it!”

Not so. Purposeful change and continuous improvement are to be encouraged. Arbitrary change and regressive functionality should be discouraged -- at all costs.

The current defense for the changes is that they are preparing us for FSD. Interestingly enough only some (not all) of these changes appear in the Beta. The Beta users do have the gear and speed moved to the left, but the speed is still large, as is the regen/accelerator line. And they still have a green battery.

Do all left hand drive cars display “R” and “D” briefly in place of the MPH display when changing gears? And do they display the “Hold” icon in the MPH display when hold is activated? I am asking because my right hand drive Model 3 doesn’t do that. So there seems to be differences in the two versions.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
The UI team is prolly coding on 36" monitors.....

btw: I've seen a lot of speculations that the increased left side of the monitor is for future FSD visualizations. And that may be true. But how many people actually use/watch the visualizations while they are actually driving as opposed to watching dancing cars while at a stop light? (I'd start a poll if I had the technical knowledge.)

Far more once FSD gets into use, as you need to keep an eye on the visualizations to make sure FSD is doing its job. However, as I’ve noted elsewhere, this is really an argument for changing the screen split ratio between FSD and non-FSD uses.

Drove my MY for the first time in a week this morning and was confronted with the new UI. Immediately disliked the changes, particularly the reduced font sizes, but tried to find something positive. No success in that department. FSD is not in my future so must agree with others who find the changes a step in the wrong direction.

Serious question. You guys hating the UI much, do you have this level of fervor when Apple changes iOS every year or Andorid gets changed?

It's all relative. Have owned the model 3 since Apr-18, and this is my first real complaint about the UI. So, most changes are accepted. But to answer your question, my D is dating an Apple SW engineer, so yeah, he hears first hand about all of the family's complaints as soon as they release something. :rolleyes:

On my Porsche 911, before I blew it up, Dr. P. put the tachometer as the largest gauge in the five gauge cluster, top dead center in front of the driver and made it twice as big as the other four. Speedometer and oil temps/fuel paired gauge were number two and three, framing the tachy. alternator was on the left, and time was on the right on the older Porsches, water termperature on the new ones. When everything was perfect, all the needles of the three critical indications were vertical (4000 rpm, 100mph, 190 degrees oil) and the needels on the two secondary gauges were horizontal. Everything you need at a glance, easy to read. This perfect arrangement was implemented one way or another on every Porsche ever made. Without exception. What is important to the engine (RPM, oil/water temps), the task (fuel, lap time, speed) were always in front where they could be seen. In recent year's digital speed has been added as a window in our "tachomoter" dials, top dead center, with the analog speedo still where it always has been.

On our Teslas' screens, we need the MOST IMPORTANT data horizontally laid out... (1) Speed Top Dead Center, (2) top right: Battery State (Battery SOC in miles and percent, temp as degrees and as percent of optimal),(3) top left: cruse control speed setting, cruise on/off indicator, and and speed limit indications, (4) far left lane hold/FSD engagement indicator. We don't need five gauges, or "window" into our cars, just four although a fifth tile could signal outside temperature.

This "cluster " could/should be one-quarter of the screen, top left quadrant. 9Then, all the "buttons" and annunciators should be in the quadrant below in some pleasing arrangment. Map, nav and such on the right half of the screen

The Porsche driver's cockpit is masterpiece of design and efficiency. Some how they have take folks may miles on road and track any verhicle visualization. Even Elon Musk could take a page from Dr. Porsche , this auto industry legend. Timeless designs.like this, refined over the years, are hard to beat.

like this:

upload_2021-1-2_19-28-15.png

I hate the new layout. Empty white space is now a glaring hole on the left side of the screen, while useful information like the map, backup camera, and speedometer are smaller. I don’t need a huge cartoon of what I can already see in real life right in front of me. I need the information I can’t see, and it needs to be easily understood.
This release is a bit of a disaster. I wear progressive lens in my glasses and this redesign really messes the usability for me. The speed number is much smaller and the large info panel with less information (?) moves the map and media details firmly into the distance part of my vision requiring a bigger head turn to see them. Overall it's a big step backward.
I don't wear glasses but I find the smaller font size 0n the time, charge indicator, etc. more difficult to pick up with a quick glance while I'm driving. Not smart. Is there an option to increase the font size?

When I first got my model 3 I loved everything about it except the display. I cursed it. I had to buy special 1/2 glasses to sit on my nose as I drive in order to read anything on it. For all of the reasons most of you have listed, I add my voice to the chorus of folks who don't like the new design at all. I'm all for giving us options so that the display best suits our individual needs, abilities, and habits.

I like it. In a world with global pandemic, with debate over who won the Presidential election, and people vandalizing homes because they didn't get thousands of dollars in handouts...& they want still more. A smaller font is well... small potatoes.

Serious question. You guys hating the UI much, do you have this level of fervor when Apple changes iOS every year or Andorid gets changed?
Absolutely. According to the relevant blogs, many skipped the macOS called Catalina and stayed with predecessor Mojave. Now that successor Big Sur is out, Catalina is not a suggested update at all and many folks are still staying with Mojave. On iOS, same thing. iOS14 has caused a lot of battery issues many would prefer to avoid so don’t update to v14. Only rarely does an updated OS yield useful features but a lot of rearranging the deck chairs instead for all the coolness features like memojies. People trying to do work skip the crap and update either when forced or for a needed feature.

Reactions: kavyboy
Something I just thought of - I'm quite tall and have the seat all the way back. Does the steering wheel obscure the views for people when the seat is farther forward?

Yes. With the safety warning indicators on the left side (left hand drive Model 3), the bottom half of them are hidden by my hand on the steering wheel.

No. I have had the iPhone since one year after it was first released. EVERY iOS update from Apple has been an improvement over the previous versions. There have sometime been some minor things I don't like, but they didn't take a perfect UI and replace it with a jumbled up mess, with tiny icons and fonts placed in a positions that are difficult to read. They don't move all the apps and icons to one side of the screen, leaving wasted blank white space. Whoever designed the new interface for the M3 is a GD idiot.

One of the best things about the M3 screen was the large map and backup camera. Those have now been shrunk down so we can see more white space on the left side of the screen. The only solution is to revert back to the old version of the UI.

Sorry, but I guess I'm the only one here who likes the new layout. I'm way north of 40 and also wear progressives. The storm trooper pretty much does everything intuitively, so I just set it and forget it. I ask it for everything else. I'm sure there will be updates to allow choosing what you prefer soon. I think we all agree...still the coolest car ever, despite the display!

Do all left hand drive cars display “R” and “D” briefly in place of the MPH display when changing gears? And do they display the “Hold” icon in the MPH display when hold is activated? I am asking because my right hand drive Model 3 doesn’t do that. So there seems to be differences in the two versions.

on the old software version the RHDs definetely used to do this. new one im not sure.