Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having "Loading Error" with Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what have people been doing to listen to stuff if slacker and tunein are wonky? Just loading music on phone and streaming that via bluetooth? I don't have my car yet, but can the car read the music via usb and not rely on bluetooth for music?

So what have people been doing to listen to stuff if slacker and tunein are wonky? Just loading music on phone and streaming that via bluetooth? I don't have my car yet, but can the car read the music via usb and not rely on bluetooth for music?

I use streaming from my phone generally now while the issue exists. May give XM in my X a go (don't have XM in S due to glass roof). USB music is archaic as you can't even have playlists so too annoying to sue normally for me, although I have this option as well.

My car started doing this about 2 weeks ago. Tesla said they are getting a lot of complaints and are trying to figure out why this is happening as it is cross firmware and seems to have no pattern other than loading error. I have been streaming via Bluetooth and did think about XM but I don't drive that much.

Could be either too much traffic to their VPN and they need to add in a GSLB / LB (Load Balancer) product to keep up with traffic with untitled VPN appliances, or at&t is throttling their bandwidth / corporate account.

I personally don't think it's AT&T, I think it's Jasper Networks either throttling the Tesla traffic or as you said, overloaded.

I've been starting to tether my iPhone via wifi in the car now. Even Nav map tiles essentially never load now unless on tether. The problem is getting worse. And I'm getting "Loading Errors" on USB as well, not sure I've seen anyone else with that problem.

Reactions: Gt1948
[…] And I'm getting "Loading Errors" on USB as well, not sure I've seen anyone else with that problem.

USB loading errors have been around and reported by several others for a while, ever since one of the software updates earlier this year. There are a handful of other USB player bugs that persist too. In my testing, if you play only MP3 files on USB, the loading errors do NOT occur. But if you have .M4A / AAC tracks, you'll get frequent loading errors, often every couple tracks (basically unusable). For the first year and a half of owning my MS I could play AAC files no problem, then after one of the updates it broke and it’s been that way ever since. And there seems little hope Tesla will fix this bug. See: Comprehensive USB Bug List

On the OT of Slacker errors I see them from time to time but it seems related to poor cellular data connection?

We just took an 8000 mile trip last month in a 2017 S .The radio worked probably less than 1/3 of the time . Called tech more than once & had the car back to the dealer . I don't think I'm being unreasonable, I just expect the car to be able to do as much as any other new vehicle costing less than 33 % of a Tesla. Mark

• Funny
Reactions: ChrisZ and Gt1948
USB loading errors have been around and reported by several others for a while, ever since one of the software updates earlier this year. There are a handful of other USB player bugs that persist too. In my testing, if you play only MP3 files on USB, the loading errors do NOT occur. But if you have .M4A / AAC tracks, you'll get frequent loading errors, often every couple tracks (basically unusable). For the first year and a half of owning my MS I could play AAC files no problem, then after one of the updates it broke and it’s been that way ever since. And there seems little hope Tesla will fix this bug. See: Comprehensive USB Bug List

I definitely hear what you're saying, but in three+ years of ownership, I think I've had a loading error on USB maybe once. Maybe. And all my files are M4A (from iTunes).

Until two/three weeks ago when the Slacker "Loading Errors" started to happen, now I get loading errors on USB everyday. I even got a "Loading Error" when using my iPhone via BT which I've never received before.

Maybe the problem is the brain-dead 'album art' module that can't load the random album art from the internet? That would manifest itself on all three audio sources.

Reactions: Gt1948
I definitely hear what you're saying, but in three+ years of ownership, I think I've had a loading error on USB maybe once. Maybe. And all my files are M4A (from iTunes).

Until two/three weeks ago when the Slacker "Loading Errors" started to happen, now I get loading errors on USB everyday. I even got a "Loading Error" when using my iPhone via BT which I've never received before.

Maybe the problem is the brain-dead 'album art' module that can't load the random album art from the internet? That would manifest itself on all three audio sources.
yes, it's possible there could be more at play here as you suggest. as I mentioned in the USB bug thread, I used to be able to successfully play a mix of MP3 and M4A files (large library of ~7000 tracks) for first 1.5yrs of owning the car, never a loading error until sometime earlier this year following one of the recent updates. Now that you mention it, I probably never saw any Slacker errors until this year either. OTOH the Slacker loading errors have mostly gone away in the past couple months, meanwhile the USB loading errors persist big time. In fact, I can demonstrate that the USB loading errors seem related to M4A files - I recently had a service loaner and I could 100% reproduce the problem with M4A (and lack of problem with MP3) using a newly formatted and loaded USB stick with just a handful of randomly selected tracks, inserted into the loaner car's USB. And BTW all my USB tracks have album art attached which all display correctly, so the media player isn't grabbing those ones off the internet.

I can't recall for sure which update, but it was probably after one of the first couple 8.1 updates when the USB loading errors began. I'm wondering if your car was stuck on some older software version until recently?

I'm wondering if your car was stuck on some older software version until recently?

Not really. All of my loading errors (Slacker, BT, and USB) started with 2017.42.

upload_2017-11-24_9-21-4.png

Not really. All of my loading errors (Slacker, BT, and USB) started with 2017.42.
View attachment 262446
FWIW I looked back at some old posts of mine and see that I started noticing frequent USB loading errors after I got the 17.24.28 update in June, and have had them ever since. Later I discovered that it's only M4A tracks that suffer the loading errors on USB.

Meanwhile I have noticed Slacker loading errors on occasion since I got the car in Dec/15 - but only on the odd time so it wasn't a big problem. But for a period in late Aug/17 (while on 17.26.76) I was seeing continuous Slacker errors for a several days. I assumed it was due to either a problem at Slacker or a general connectivity issue, perhaps not necessarily related to a particular software update, since the problem went away. Since then it's back to only just the occasional loading error on Slacker, but still continuous loading errors on USB (only for M4A tracks)

for comparison here's my sw update history
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 3.50.40 PM.jpg

I swear this is just LTE throttling - I mean as with all testing it works great on WiFi, and horrible on LTE. Is Tesla VPNn traffic only over LTE and not WiFi? One easy test, take SIM card out of tesla and test in a phone for instance, or put in new SIM card in tesla that isn’t provisioned by tesla on their account.