Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Having Trouble Getting Service Loaners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I took my MS into the service center for some body work on Monday they said they were out of Tesla loaners so they offered an Enterprise rental (I ended up with a Hyundai Tuscon). I requested to have them contact me as soon as a loaner vehicle was available but was given daily updates saying no loaners were available. It's Friday now and they still haven't had any come back. Has anyone else experienced the same difficulty of getting into a service loaner?

This was my first service appointment with Tesla and I'm a little disappointed by the lack of available cars since I've grown accustomed to having a fleet of service loaners readily available with my previous vehicles (Lexus, BMW, Acura).

FWIW, I was told recently that my particular Service Center is prioritizing loaners for Model X customers. As a Model S customer, I don't like the sound of that, but as a Model X customer, I understand. I get the feeling we've been sent off with cars that are going to need a good handful of early visits to the shop. They probably don't want to keep putting us back in Enterprise cars repeatedly vs. putting an S customer in an Enterprise car once a year.

Well, I think it's all about one's perspective of what we feel we're entitled to. I would certainly rather have a Tesla loaner, but I also don't have an expectation that I should always receive one either. Nothing I was told, or that I read in the warranty before ordering my MS indicated I would always have a Tesla loaner. Given a choice, I would much prefer a closer-in service appointment, than wait for a Tesla loaner if I have to leave my MS for an extended period.

When I get a loaner from Tesla, it's great if it's a comparative luxury vehicle (even an ICE). If no Tesla are available, my SC does try to do that until Enterprose runs out of luxury brands. My last loaner from Tesla was a BMW 3-Series with only a few hundred miles on the ODO, so I have nothing to complain about. Tesla also takes care of reasonable gas costs with an ICE if that is what they provide, so that's better than I ever had with Lexus, MBZ or BMW loaners when those vehicles of mine were in for service.

Again, IMHO, it's all about our personal expectations. I must be a push-over compared to some of you. ;)

Reactions: Caligula and bmah
I'm fine with being put in a rental if no loaners are available but I find it hard to believe that no one had returned a service loaner throughout the entire week. I'm beginning to think that they really are giving preferential treatment to Model X owners as ohmman pointed out earlier.

I'm fine with being put in a rental if no loaners are available but I find it hard to believe that no one had returned a service loaner throughout the entire week. I'm beginning to think that they really are giving preferential treatment to Model X owners as ohmman pointed out earlier.

They sell the loaners as CPOs and as every car maker is apt to do, they liquidate inventory at the end of the year to pad sales stats. As such, you basically empty out the current stock of loaners, sans a handful of vehicles. Maybe that handful is reserved, maybe it's luck of the draw. Regardless it is what it is and we truly are talking about an entitlement regardless of what other manufacturer offers what. In any case, try later in the year and I bet money available loaners increases by orders of magnitude. I'm 3 from 3 on not getting a Tesla loaner and yes I was miffed the first time, but I understand why now.

I believe at some point Elon said that owners would get top of the line loaners when their cars were serviced. I know he tends to over exaggerate but as with many other luxury brands, I think in this price range, it would be expected to get similar loaners (not enterprise) when service is done.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Heh. I haven't driven an ICE since picking up my car at the factory and have no intention of driving an ICE in the future. With planning, and barring unforeseen emergency travel to some destination without professional car/limo service, I expect this will remain the case.

When I called for annual service a few months ago, I was told there would be a 3-week wait for an appointment or a 4-week wait for an appointment with a loaner. I opted for 4 weeks. No sweat, no strain.

I have never been offered a non-Tesla as a loaner, nor would I accept one. Then again, I'm in SoCal where there are at least 5 SvCs in proximity; if one is busy, just call another - they all report to the same regional manager. Then again a second time, as more people buy even the non-AP used cars (these seem to constitute the bulk of the loaner fleet), I can envision scenarios in which there's just no more water in the well.

I will consider such a scenario to represent both a failure and an opportunity to optimally manage adequate loaner inventory. No need to pad Enterprise's coffers year-round.

I have no intention of lowering my expectations simply because some feel the need for whatever reason/excuse. There are always people willing to settle for less; AT&T just built an entire ad campaign around this sentiment for their DirecTV acquisition (see "The Settlers" package).

Safety while in a vehicle is not worth the compromise. Stand firm, and plan ahead.

One for one on a MS loaner when my Signature S was in for an annual service and a warranty concern. The Ranger that picked up my S had plenty of loaner horror stories. Specifically one in which a customer spilled their bong water in the back floor board area. Could not get the rancid smell out and had to send the loaner S to the factory to be gutted and the interior rebuilt.

• Funny
Reactions: Caligula
My last two visits to the Fremont factory service center ended up with Enterprise loaners. I didn't ask, but I assume it was because there were no Model S loaners available. Perhaps one must verbally make this request for a Tesla loaner?

I did get a Roadster once a long while back, but otherwise my previous two loaners were a Prius and an E350. I think they have an Avalon and a Challenger as options as well. In any case, none of these are equivalent and I missed my car immediately at first gear as I drove off.

I have been given ICE loaner once when I went on a long distance trip but I paid for the gas.

I can understand frustration of owners here. Frankly speaking I would like to have a MS loaner instead of ICE.

Tesla keeps stating they will offer excellent customer service and given the fact MS cars are premium electric cars I don't see why we would get ICE loaners.

...I don't see why we would get ICE loaners.
IMHO it's about Tesla needing to generate a profit. They have not to-date, and Elon has now committed it will by 12/31/2016, so financially it likely makes more sense for them to sell the MS they have vs keep them as loaners, and additionally be able to report yet another sale to try and appease Wall Street and generate positive press. IMHO, it's another example of Elon and Tesla simply prioritizing those needs ahead of customer satisfaction.

Last edited: