Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else not a fan of the V9 traffic implementation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to know where traffic is actually being reported. Some roads don’t have traffic reporting. How do you tell the difference?
Whether the traffic is reporting as green or there is no data for that portion of the road would not change the outcome of your decision to take the road or not. In other words, no data or green flow has the same outcome. So, I can see why they would only represent pertinent information; yellow, red.

Just got V9... First thing I noticed is Tesla changed the traffic information to "only" show when there is traffic vs the always green that it used to show... I REALLY dislike this change... Anyone else not a fan either?

Jeff

I kinda like it now, it is cleaner and easier to tell, especially in large cities with a ton of traffic. The color i see most often is like dark maroon ;-) here in Chicago....

Whether the traffic is reporting as green or there is no data for that portion of the road would not change the outcome of your decision to take the road or not. In other words, no data or green flow has the same outcome. So, I can see why they would only represent pertinent information; yellow, red.
It would change my decision. Some roads aren't as predictable with traffic and a road with known minor traffic issues is preferable over a road that could be anywhere from smooth sailing to a parking lot.

Perhaps they don't need high visibility green, but they need some indication that the traffic data is available.

The problem is that unless the road actually has traffic (red/orange colors), there is no way to distinguish between "the road is clear" and "there is no traffic data available for this road."

I agree. Case in point: road closure due to an accident last week. The stretch of grey in between greens indicated the road was still closed off and I was able to take a detour.

Reactions: GWord
You need to know where traffic is actually being reported. Some roads don’t have traffic reporting. How do you tell the difference?

I thought that would be the case too, but somehow it seems like the maps got traffic data even on tiny local streets. I was taking my son to school and noticed the section of the local road going into the school was red/yellow.. everywhere else got no color. I have no idea how google map obtains traffic data for the local streets. Are they using google location data on the phones and correlate how fast the phones are traveling and the speed limit?

I used the gray / green difference for road closure info. Didn't use it often, but it was helpful. I guess if there's a heinous backup due to closure I'd see it in red now...

Has anyone seen if there are still different variations in the red color for severity. There used to be red / dark red / the dreaded pink?

Last edited:
As pointed out above, the major flaw in the new real-time traffic display is the inability to determine if there is actually any traffic data on the road ahead. With the green lines, you could see the roads where traffic is moving at normal speed. And if a road didn't have any traffic data, it either meant there wasn't enough traffic on the road to generate traffic data (possibly because the road is closed) or that the onboard software isn't getting real-time traffic data in the first place.

In most conditions, only displaying the areas with traffic issues works well. It's the above situations, that don't happen as often, where the new UI display is a step backward.

And, we still need the onboard map display to highlight traffic issues on the route/road ahead ("accident ahead, left lane blocked") - a feature I had on my Lexus over 10 years ago...

Reactions: hill and jeffro01
A number of you gave really good explanations as to why it's very helpful to see the green... I just wish Tesla would make these things options so that we could make our own decisions...

Words cannot express how much I loath this new way of presenting regular traffic data... I get that some of you don't care and that's perfectly okay. None of this would be a question if Tesla wasn't making decisions for us...

Jeff