Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever had someone else use their HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No big deal. Just leave it connected to the cable. Disconnect it and take it with you if you go on a trip where you might need it.

Big deal because you can't remove the adapter from your cars charging port without either using the touchscreen or keyfob.

(either that, or I've been doing it wrong at the public chargers I've used)

Mine has been available on PlugShare ever since it was installed 1.5 years ago. I have had several wonderful Tesla owners stop and charge. All were very gracious. Some gave me a Panera gift card, or a bottle of wine, or took me out for supper at a local restaurant, or just sat in their car and conducted business or talked with family. Others came in for Tesla story time. .

Same here!

I use a 14-30 nightly (54,000 miles) to charge the P85. I specifically installed a HPWC for great (no P85D crybabies/letter writers to Elon allowed) Telsla owners on Plugshare. Not worried about someone determining that a Tesla is in the garage as mentioned upthread as I live in gated communities.

Big deal because you can't remove the adapter from your cars charging port without either using the touchscreen or keyfob.

(either that, or I've been doing it wrong at the public chargers I've used)

Sure you can. I do it every day. Just press and release the J1772 button. This unlocks the adapter from the car and locks the adapter to the J1772 handle. Pull the whole assembly out. Easy.

Sure you can. I do it every day. Just press and release the J1772 button. This unlocks the adapter from the car and locks the adapter to the J1772 handle. Pull the whole assembly out. Easy.

I think Max has a point, and I have found that your method, Gizmotoy, does not work for me. If I press and release, the car’s charging port immediately locks back onto the adapter, and you can’t get it out. Someone on the other Tesla forum posted a link to a document on the main TeslaMotors site that shows the step by step procedure for this, which does work.

Press and HOLD the release latch of the J1772. While holding that button, with your other hand grab the adapter and pull both out of the charging port.

Same here!

I use a 14-30 nightly (54,000 miles) to charge the P85. I specifically installed a HPWC for great (no P85D crybabies/letter writers to Elon allowed) Telsla owners on Plugshare. Not worried about someone determining that a Tesla is in the garage as mentioned upthread as I live in gated communities.

It's nice to know that in your eyes I don't qualify as a "great Tesla owner" because I tried to do something for the community that you disagree with.

I have both my HPWC and NEMA 14-50 listed on Plugshare. If someone is travelling northwest from Toronto, there are no SC and very few other charging options. In the winter, in particular, I've had Leafs and Teslas both use it. I suspect they would have struggled to get home. Interestingly, a few Volts too....

It's a "commercial site" (My horse barn/ riding lessons etc.), so it's both community service and a bit of advertising. While waiting for a charge, they can have a coffee, and watch the riding lessons, or use the wifi.

I have no concerns about security.

I don't have an HPWC, but I've used other people's a few times on trips when there was no available Supercharger. You do have to register on PlugShare to be able to see the location, if the location is there. Some just put in the postal code, which is close enough for planning.

What is the etiquette surrounding Plugshare? I would think you would expect to at least offer to pay for the power you use, but how does it work?

What is the etiquette surrounding Plugshare? I would think you would expect to at least offer to pay for the power you use, but how does it work?

Compensation depends on the location. Some are pay sites, some are free. They generally say it on each site, but it's always stated somewhere in the comments site, when you check into a location. Mine is free......paying it forward

Generally if it's an individual, there's no charge, but I give some kind of gift. I've given goodies from Collin Street Bakery, artwork, an assortment of cheeses. (The artwork was because the nice Tesla owners had a mother-in-law suite that we could use while charging. Worth way more then just a charge.)