Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call unprompted from SC that they are ready to install my HW3.0 and scheduled mine for January 9. They said they'll need to car overnight so must be more work for my early VIN. Out of town until that week unfortunately or I would have scheduled it sooner. Will report back

LR RWD
Vin# 31xxx
SF Bay Area

That's promising... Only ~40k vins to go before they get to mine :confused:

Its not being done by VIN number.

Im 21xxx and wont see the upgrade till probably February. Tesla is doing the releases as California, US, international

I am in CA and eligible (VIN less than 2000), but they are now out of parts and aren’t expected to get more until end of Jan. So, yes, it is going to be highly variable. I am betting it takes the whole year to get the fleet done.

From what I heard part of the reason they're selecting early VINs right now is that the wiring harness for the FSD computer between the early Model 3's and those built later (Q3 2018 and later) are different. There is soldering involved and takes a few hours to do. This is due to Tesla having not finalized the design of the AP3 FSD computer until around June 2018 so they weren't entirely sure what they needed until that point.

From what I heard part of the reason they're selecting early VINs right now is that the wiring harness for the FSD computer between the early Model 3's and those built later (Q3 2018 and later) are different. There is soldering involved and takes a few hours to do. This is due to Tesla having not finalized the design of the AP3 FSD computer until around June 2018 so they weren't entirely sure what they needed until that point.
Interesting. I'm just over the line, with an early July 2018 car. So anyway, if that's true, it seems to imply the upgrade will be easier on the Q3 and later cars, right? There has been mixed info about whether the replacement can be done by a mobile tech vs in the shop. Maybe this relates to that. That is, plug-and-play they could do anywhere, but soldering in new connectors they want to do in the shop.