Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly low VIN (4xxx), took delivery in Jan 2018 with FSD… I'd like to note that while I'm glad to see they're actually starting to upgrade customer cars, I do wish they'd prioritize taking care of earlier buyers / HW 2.0 people first.
Your low VIN seems to be consistent with how Tesla does rollouts where for Model 3 reservation holders owners might have the most relevant experience on this particular forum. An early reservation did give priority to orders and deliveries but only of the versions that were "easier" or "cost effective" for Tesla to complete, so early-reservation LR had priority over late-reservation LR, and then came early-reservation AWD then late-reservation AWD.

So similarly, looks like Tesla is trying to prioritize early buyers in this FSD retrofit process, so perhaps your low VIN 00#xxx ("Group 1") gave you priority over later Model 3 deliveries, and Tesla is in a better place to do HW2.5+MCU2 upgrades first. But yes, arguably Tesla has known for a long time that they'll need to do HW2.0->FSD upgrades too and could have figured it out before even starting HW2.0->FSD.

Ok, got my car back - it was a tabula rasa, just like the day I purchased it

My long-time odometers were reset as well.
DANG. All this time putting my musical tastes into Slacker, and losing my ODO Trip meters seems very harsh. I read about others discovering there was no lifetime readout and so I renamed my Trip B in the showroom so I have had that this whole time.

Why would they not transfer your settings and information over from your old computer?? I'm gonna put it off until they get this sussed.

Tabula Rasa would be a good name for the Tesla after the upgrade. Or Tesla Rasa. Interesting that you chose that wording for a car that literally has a tablet display where the info was lost, a truly clean slate.

Have there actually been any reports of anyone getting contacted by Tesla to install HW3? as opposed to going in for something else and being told they would also do the upgrade.
Same question I'd like answered... are they actively rolling this out, or not? I'd like to have some idea as to where I am in the queue so I can determine whether the money I paid was worth it.

Reactions: ybbor
So I’m a little T’d. Service center emailed me saying my M3 was eligible for HW3 (built in Oct 2018). They said I had to have it done at the service center and mobile could not perform.

I scheduled an appointment through the app for the retrofit, and was emailed by the SAME rep saying my car wasn’t on the list and the appointment would be cancelled!

After showing the email they sent me, they apologized and said it wasn’t for me.

Guess I’m back on the wait list! Wish they would give us an estimated time - 3 months, 6, 12?

VIN range?

That means nothing. There’s no indication whatsoever that they’re going in VIN order.

could be by delivery date;
Or by model;
Or by color;
Or by state;
Or by mileage;
Or by number of hours of Autopilot use;
Or by purchase price;
Or by alphabetic order;
Or by number of twitter posts;
Or by complete random order.
Or, by driver height;
Or, by none of these.

Simply, we don’t know. There’s no direct correlation between VIN and retrofit availability.

That means nothing. There’s no indication whatsoever that they’re going in VIN order.

could be by delivery date;
Or by model;
Or by color;
Or by state;
Or by mileage;
Or by number of hours of Autopilot use;
Or by purchase price;
Or by alphabetic order;
Or by number of twitter posts;
Or by complete random order.
Or, by driver height;
Or, by none of these.

Simply, we don’t know. There’s no direct correlation between VIN and retrofit availability.

Seems like it's going with low VINs, purchased early in 2018 so far.

Reactions: mtndrew1
I think I saw on Reddit someone got it in Las Vegas for a Model 3.

At any rate, Group 1 for S/X is almost certainly MCU2 + AP2.5. That one might be geographic restricted.

Group 1 for 3 is likely low VIN. And if you recall, deliveries initially started only in CA, so I think that's what we're observing now -- not necessarily a geographically limited rollout, but just a low VIN restriction.

Both our vehicles have completed the upgrade. The X was done in November and the 3 was completed last week.

Reactions: ybbor