Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HW3 has it's own dual power supply and upgraded ISP (Image Signal processor).

I mean- the entire computer is "upgraded" in a ton of ways- but they're all internal to just the computer package.

The entire sensor suite doesn't change at all between 2.5 and 3.0

But don't take my word, here's the CEO of Tesla-

Elon Musk said:
No change to sensors. This is simple replacement of the Autopilot computer. Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving.

2.5 cars aren't using cameras to their full capabilities due to limitations and bumping up to 3.0 will make the car more aware, at least in the ghosting software running in the background. As the same way the car keeps you straight when veering to the side with Autopilot dis-engaged, it can steer you away from obstacles, like cones, avoiding potential accidents as well.

Tesla's New HW3 Self-Driving Computer — It's A Beast (CleanTechnica Deep Dive) | CleanTechnica by Chanan Bos.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand.

"...data come in through what is labeled as “Input” at a maximum rate of 2.5 billion pixels per second, which roughly equates to 21 Full HD 1080p screens at 60 frames per second. ... image signal processor that can process 1 billion pixels per second (roughly 8 Full HD 1080p screens at 60 frames per second)."

also

"...Tesla’s neural network processor has a whopping total of 64MB SRAM that is divided into two 32MB SRAM segments to support the two neural network processors. ...This might actually be enough memory to store, render, and process a single frame of all cameras and sensor inputs combined ..."

Had a mobile service yesterday, and the tech told me he'd check my car to see if the upgrade is ready or not. Called this morning and I he set up an appt for HW3 install next week. Am I one of the first Model 3s to get upgraded?

Had a mobile service yesterday, and the tech told me he'd check my car to see if the upgrade is ready or not. Called this morning and I he set up an appt for HW3 install next week. Am I one of the first Model 3s to get upgraded?
A few others have reported getting the upgrade, but yeah, you seem to be an early one! For fun, go drive by some traffic cones both before and after the upgrade!

Do we have any idea how many FSD cars there are out there? 25% of the overall fleet? 35%? More?

Just curious what the hill is they have to climb.

Troy Teslike on Twitter

Troy claims back when it was EAP/FSD the take rates were 83.5% and 19.5% respectively...but since AP became standard FSD take rate went up to 68.5%

His numbers aren't always entirely accurate, but they're usually in a rough ballpark.

Troy Teslike on Twitter

Troy claims back when it was EAP/FSD the take rates were 83.5% and 19.5% respectively...but since AP became standard FSD take rate went up to 68.5%

His numbers aren't always entirely accurate, but they're usually in a rough ballpark.

EAP was a much better deal. I would still purchase it but it's unfortunately not offered anymore. No way in hell FSD is 70% now. The majority of Tesla cars sold at the moment are SR+ and people are not going to pay 20% of the cars price for features they can't use yet..if ever. Most of those buyers are already stretching to buy the car itself

I'll start checking more often when its more than just seeing traffic cones on the screen.
The current system reacts to cones already, it just doesn't display them.
On my V2.5 car, it will warn about being in a construction zone when it sees lots of cones.

Reactions: CharleyBC
I'll start checking more often when its more than just seeing traffic cones on the screen.
The current system reacts to cones already, it just doesn't display them.
On my V2.5 car, it will warn about being in a construction zone when it sees lots of cones.

Thats true, but that is just one of the obvious differences which we notice externally. This shows that Tesla is definitely starting to develop and release features based on the HW3 capabilities. The V3 hardware has ample processing power, enough to run a cone detection network that the V2.5 hardware clearly cannot do reliably. If it can run a network just to visualize cones better (which i agree is trivial/silly) then what else can, and is, it doing?