Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in the UK 'upgraded' their Model Y suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luxury suspension might be overselling it a bit. It is a lot nicer than the first gen Model Y suspension though, that is shockingly awful.
And it doesn't get any better with a few miles on the clock. I remember a few discussions when the model Y first came that eventually the suspension may wear in and become more bearable but for me with a March 22 plate there has been literally zero improvement after 17,000 miles, granted I have the larger wheels but how they can sell a car that unfit for UK roads is beyond me.

Hiring a MY LR in Iceland this week which is pretty new, only 10k km on the clock. Suspension seemed good on the road. Stuck in chill mode and speed limit is 90km/h, so not pushing the bounds of grip or anything. Also on presumably pretty soft winter tyres.

Pretty stiff over gravel roads, but all fine really.

Hiring a MY LR in Iceland this week which is pretty new, only 10k km on the clock. Suspension seemed good on the road. Stuck in chill mode and speed limit is 90km/h, so not pushing the bounds of grip or anything. Also on presumably pretty soft winter tyres.

Pretty stiff over gravel roads, but all fine really.
Iceland renting cars? Who knew? Haven't shopped there for ages. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: MrBadger
And it doesn't get any better with a few miles on the clock. I remember a few discussions when the model Y first came that eventually the suspension may wear in and become more bearable but for me with a March 22 plate there has been literally zero improvement after 17,000 miles, granted I have the larger wheels but how they can sell a car that unfit for UK roads is beyond me.
Yeah, I remember getting into a Model Y tax in the Netherlands before they came out in RHD over here. Even with their much better roads, I was really happy when I got to the destination and could get out.

Guess they did realise the errors of their ways and have softened it up. It's still I'd say towards the lower end of comfort and suspension refinement for the UK but you can live with it now without wanting to drive the car into a ditch and set fire to it.

Reactions: T1GER5HARK
What is amazing to me is how many people have spent so much on a car they haven't test driven before purchase.
Well for people that preorder, that’s the way it goes. To be fair to them, it’s just a higher Model 3 and that Model 3 suspension has never been that bad even before the new comfort suspension. Tesla screwed it up on the early Y’s

Reactions: T1GER5HARK
Well for people that preorder, that’s the way it goes. To be fair to them, it’s just a higher Model 3 and that Model 3 suspension has never been that bad even before the new comfort suspension. Tesla screwed it up on the early Y’s
I did test drive ( specifically to see the suspension), it seemed ok. Similar to my 3LR which was really good. But the route was clearly gamed to take you along the smoothest roads in Britain. Also no high speed, which I think is another weakness on how the Y springs are set up (or not set up). Aside from the suspension still think Y is a great family car, but I still would not buy another one unless ride significantly improves.

I did test drive ( specifically to see the suspension), it seemed ok. Similar to my 3LR which was really good. But the route was clearly gamed to take you along the smoothest roads in Britain. Also no high speed, which I think is another weakness on how the Y springs are set up (or not set up). Aside from the suspension still think Y is a great family car, but I still would not buy another one unless ride significantly improves.
Yeah, wherever possible I always try to get on some bad roads if I can in a test drive. You want ones you know and have driven in say your own car so you can compare. My preferences have changed over the years but comfort is really high on my list.

I bet this car would be transformed with a decent set of Ohlins or Bilstein coilovers. The guys that seriously track their M3P's have done some amazing things to the handling of their cars. Theres no reason you cannot get adjustable suspension to make it better than stock for the road too.

I bet this car would be transformed with a decent set of Ohlins or Bilstein coilovers. The guys that seriously track their M3P's have done some amazing things to the handling of their cars. Theres no reason you cannot get adjustable suspension to make it better than stock for the road too.

problem
It is cheaper to buy another can than deal with the additional insurance premium!

I'm in a rented y on holiday, pretty new. From the other colours floating around I assume Berlin built (that cherry red is just lovely).

Not the UK, but really NOT good roads. Suspension seems a million miles better than the Y I test drove from Edinburgh 8 months ago. It's not like my 3 with after marked comfort coil overs and sway bar upgrades, but keeps it tidy on a variety of surfaces and fast corners. Even pretty ok on some real wigglies, much flatter than expected and felt like we were excercising the tryes, not our ability to stay in the seats. Still not a track day car or anything, but pretty acceptable for the type of car

Mine also £0 on the 3, although I may have said 'oem replacement parts'.
I had a proper conversation with a human about my potential change and was very sure to check that it was non OEM replacement that they ‘quoted’ for. I got the impression that all they were interested in was if the ride height would change, which it won’t.

I had a proper conversation with a human about my potential change and was very sure to check that it was non OEM replacement that they ‘quoted’ for. I got the impression that all they were interested in was if the ride height would change, which it won’t.
They wouldn’t cover (Peugeot), inner London is bad enough already so daren’t ask anyone else 😬

Which insurers are nice?