Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone nabbed existing inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing the odd model Y come in the Bay Area. Some for more than an hour and then they're gone. My thoughts are...
  • If you manage to place an order for existing inventory will you get a refund on your existing order?
  • Will you get your supercharger referral? (so far we're up to about $200)
  • Why are these not being taken by SAs for existing order customers? Will the order stick or will it be taken off your hands?
  • I've read elsewhere that Full Self Drive can be removed post order, pre-delivery.

I keep seeing the odd model Y come in the Bay Area. Some for more than an hour and then they're gone. My thoughts are...
  • If you manage to place an order for existing inventory will you get a refund on your existing order?
  • Will you get your supercharger referral? (so far we're up to about $200)
  • Why are these not being taken by SAs for existing order customers? Will the order stick or will it be taken off your hands?
  • I've read elsewhere that Full Self Drive can be removed post order, pre-delivery.
I can only answer your first and second question. They wont refund or transfer the $100 deposit so you must cancel the order and pay again. (total of 200)
And secondly it will be able to be removed if you call your SA is what I have been told.

For inventory, what I've seen is first come, first served.

If you have a deposit on one, and you place another deposit to grab it, not only are you out one of the deposits, but if your the one you just grabbed is at a higher price than your ordered one, even if identical config, you pay the higher price.

FSD can be removed without issue.

Are there any downsides to getting one from existing inventory? I saw one that had less than 5 miles on it. Why wouldn't the store give it to someone who is due for delivery?
Sometimes the SAs don't even know a car is available if someone canceled via phone or a channel outside of the store. For instance, I picked up a SR from local inventory and my SA was surprised when she saw my order in the system.

The Bearded Tesla Guy on YouTube just got his order matched to an inventory car - it was an exact match that had probably been cancelled by someone else. He's in Indianapolis and is supposed to pick it up today. He didn't indicate when he actually ordered it. Here is his video discussing the rationale for trading in his 2020 MY.

I did this 2 weeks ago. Found one in existing inventory at 1am about 800 miles away. Ordered it, removed FSD after the order, then canceled my first order. Lost my $100 deposit but it was worth it to save months of waiting. Picked up the car a few days later.

Reactions: Gor-Gor
This afternoon I’m picking up an existing stock MYLR 7 seater with the inductions that I found and bought this last Sunday. I had to call to get my buddy’s referral code added, but it was otherwise pretty seamless. I didn’t have an existing order though…I’d just been hanging around contemplating.

Reactions: DanDi58
I did this 2 weeks ago. Found one in existing inventory at 1am about 800 miles away. Ordered it, removed FSD after the order, then canceled my first order. Lost my $100 deposit but it was worth it to save months of waiting. Picked up the car a few days later.
Its not the end of the world, only $100, but the SA specifically told me NOT to cancel and reorder. They just applied the VIN of the existing inventory car to my current order. My order was for a different color and different options.

Its not the end of the world, only $100, but the SA specifically told me NOT to cancel and reorder. They just applied the VIN of the existing inventory car to my current order. My order was for a different color and different options.
That's cool. Not cancelling my order but dropped $100 on an existing inventory (different color and options but couldn't decide anyway). Pickup scheduled for Friday 25th.

Reactions: Tha_Ape

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. Yeah I know I probably could have done this but the existing inventory car was EXACTLY the config I wanted, and since it was 1 AM I couldn't really call my SA at that hour. If I had waited until the next morning to save $100 and the car would have been sold I would have been so mad at myself for penny pinching.

I did this 3 weeks ago for my order. Actually changed twice. I originally had a Model 3, but saw a black Model Y in existing inventory and put a new deposit down since it was about 2am, then later that day I saw the Red one I bought in existing inventory in LA, couldn't get ahold of my SA, so I called the delivery center and they swapped VINs no problem. I then put my Model 3 reservation on hold in case I want to swap to a model 3 sometime in the future.

Reactions: cancoi
Got tired of waiting for my 5/3 order (EDD September) and happened to chance on a similar one at 12:30 PM Pacific. Immediately hit Buy Now since I didn't want to lose it, got a VIN, completed profile, received call from the Dublin Service Center asking if I could pick up the same day (yesterday). I couldn't since I have 3rd party financing and said I could possibly pick up today if my credit union could process the paperwork. SA scheduled for the 30th just in case. My credit union finished everything yesterday evening after they closed. I picked up the check this morning, went to the Service Center and drove home with my Y. I did have to pay the current price though (an extra $2K due to the 4 price increases over the 2 months) but we couldn't wait any longer as we had vacation plans. VIN is 216XXX and built 6/21. Only 6 miles on the odometer. Needless to say but I cancelled my original order. I'm now a happy camper and can get on with my life. LOL.

I grabbed an existing inventory with a 192xxx VIN and a May 17 build date. I am curious why it wasn't dropped into inventory until last Saturday. I hope everything checks out on it when I pick it up tomorrow.
How did you manage to get it delivered from CA (i think you said you picked it up from CA inventory)? As of ~6/18, they were no longer allowing delivery of inventory vehicles and only allowing local pickup, according to my SA and the Tesla inventory website.

How did you manage to get it delivered from CA (i think you said you picked it up from CA inventory)? As of ~6/18, they were no longer allowing delivery of inventory vehicles and only allowing local pickup, according to my SA and the Tesla inventory website.
I believe they gave me an exception because they would not otherwise fill my SR order. So I was forced to grab one from inventory. Since it was my only option, they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Ordered an existing inventory demo vehicle on the 23rd. Original pickup was the 25th in Dublin, which changed to home delivery on the 24th in Fremont. Then I was told there was an issue during final detailing, and the pickup appointment was delayed until the 30th.

It was finally delivered on the 29th to my place in Fremont.

Basically everything was a mess, but it ended up in my driveway less than a week after I ordered it, so overall I'm happy.

It's a (blue exterior/white interior) MYLR 7 seater. Oddly, the VIN is 108XXX, which, doesn't that mean the car is one of the first 2021 model Y's produced? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I wonder why it was sitting around for half a year, only racking up 30 miles.

I think I'm happy with it. There doesn't appear to be anything outwardly wrong with it. I'll have a better idea once I drive it around some more though.

I've been living without a car for a year and a half now. My "moving to California, leaving my old car behind, and biking everywhere" experiment has officially ended.

Ordered an existing inventory demo vehicle on the 23rd. Original pickup was the 25th in Dublin, which changed to home delivery on the 24th in Fremont. Then I was told there was an issue during final detailing, and the pickup appointment was delayed until the 30th.

It was finally delivered on the 29th to my place in Fremont.

Basically everything was a mess, but it ended up in my driveway less than a week after I ordered it, so overall I'm happy.

It's a (blue exterior/white interior) MYLR 7 seater. Oddly, the VIN is 108XXX, which, doesn't that mean the car is one of the first 2021 model Y's produced? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I wonder why it was sitting around for half a year, only racking up 30 miles.

I think I'm happy with it. There doesn't appear to be anything outwardly wrong with it. I'll have a better idea once I drive it around some more though.

I've been living without a car for a year and a half now. My "moving to California, leaving my old car behind, and biking everywhere" experiment has officially ended.
I also bought an existing inventory with 30 miles on it and my VIN was 111 early 2021 with the older console. I only accepted it because they gave me a $1620 discount. How much discount did they give you? And I assume yours is also the older style console (which I love)?